Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR - to cement or not to cement? That is the question!  (Read 883 times)

Offline Tillson

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm 41 - not 81!!
TKR - to cement or not to cement? That is the question!
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:55:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their advice regarding my imminent TKR still planned for 20 June.  I'm warming more to the idea now - but it's still scaring me!

Does anyone know about alternative cement formulas that are used for securing the artificial joint?  I seem to recall seeing a website somewhere that mentioned a natural option that could be grown from your own body tissue (?!?) that would create a natural, more effective way of securing the joint into place.

Has anyone any ideas?  I'm not seeing my surgeon again until 13 June, so I want to go armed with as much information as possible as that will be my final decision day before I confirm 20 June for the op'.  EEEEEEK!

Looking forward to your replies!

Maggie
 ???
ACL rupture Sept '99 playing netball
ACL reconstruction Sept 2000
MONTHS of physio - grating sensation developing
Pain increasing gradually due to cartilage wear and tear
Microfracture and cartilage cultivation surgery denied due to too much wear and tear
TKR done June 2007 - HOORAY!!!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: TKR - to cement or not to cement? That is the question!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
I'm not quite sure why that would really matter. In general, it's best to let the surgeon make the decisions when it comes to choosing joints and whatnot. They are the experts and have (or should have) lots of experience regarding what works best.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »
There are knees that have a special texture on them wher bone is suposed to grow into the stems and secure the joint.  I have heard that it does not always work, though in theory it should be great.  Rehab is quite different form what i"ve seen, you are only PWB for some time becausr the stim can't move untill the bone grows into the metal.

I think the best way is topick the best OS, one who does LOTS of TKRs and let him decide what is best in your situation.

Good luck with the TKR.  It was the best thing i ever did for me.  It HURT like H ??? ??? ??? but now things are really good.  Had my check up yesterday and got an A+! ;D 8)
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Tillson

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm 41 - not 81!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:06:54 PM »
Thanks for both replies.  Very useful stuff.  It all helps, so thanks for your time.

Maggie
Microfracture and cartilage cultivation surgery denied due to too much wear and tear

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 12:01:05 AM »
Cemented has become the norm, as the others fail sooner. I had the cemented with antibiotic cement, as I had had an MRSA infection. Good luck Teresa(By the way,depending on the knee and ligament status, etc, some prosthesis are  not effective. I now have a long stemmed stabilizing one as I had had an unconstrained one that could not stabilize my knee as my mcl andpcl were in shreds prior to tkr. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Tillson

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm 41 - not 81!!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
Thanks Teresa.  I'm having a Kinemax prosthesis fitted.  Again, I'm relying on what the surgeon says is best. 

It has a 97% success rate and lasts 15 - 20 years.  Hope they don't cancel my surgery date now as I'm really keen to get it done and over with after all this research!

Thanks for your help.

Maggie