Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Oats and TTT anyone?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline james18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Oats and TTT anyone?
« on: July 04, 2003, 04:14:23 PM »
Greetings Kneegeeks!

I had an OATS, TTT and 2nd arthroscopy on 4/12/02.  8 months before that I had an arthroscopy and lateral release.  I also have clubfoot.  All of this is on the right leg.  I have orthotic inserts in both shoes and a lift on all of my right shoes due to a leg length difference.

I am 30, very active and used to race at Triathlon.  I'm hoping to return 04 season (fingers crossed, rub the lucky rabbits foot!) I'm doing knee classes twice a week with my physio (and some ACL crocks!) and training in the gym 6 times a week.  I've bought a wobble board which is excellent. 7 months post op I can run short distances, sprint, cycle, circuit train, swim, skip one-legged, etc.  

I recently made the decision not to drink at weekends!!  I would go out, dance and spend the rest of the week limping.  My knee is getting stronger but it clicks regularly and sometimes feels like something is moving.  If I feel tired I always take a day off training.  You need recovery time.  I take glucosamine and multi-vit tablets along with cod liver oil.  I have the occasional massage which always helps.  I want to try accupuncture.  Stretching is very important and i try to do a full set every day.  Ying and Yang and all that!

Before the op I couldn't bend my right knee and was 90% w/b on my left leg.  It now feels much better but i worry about the clicking.  6 weeks post-op I stopped wearing the brace and went to 1 crutch the day after, 3 days later i could limp along unaided.  After 8 weeks I could walk downstairs - carefully! I kept a diary to keep me focussed.  Try to keep your PT consistent.  I have tried to do things too quickly and paid the price. Always err on the side of caution!  

If I get pain I find a hot bath helps.  I hope this is useful.

"Attitude not aptitude determines your altitude"

James  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D ;)

Offline Andries

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Oats and TTT anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 12:13:56 AM »
Hye James,

I am curious on which part of the knee"bones" you have OATS done. I have been told that hardly anything failes when it comes to cartillage at the back off the Patella.

I Myself am not a kneepatient but my wife is.

Sincere greetings Andries
Wife has severe problems with her knees:
Both her Knees Elmsie trillat . No LR
Aug-2003 and Dec 2004
Now goes without crutches after 3 years wthith them.

Offline james18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Oats and TTT anyone?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 04:07:38 PM »
Hi Andries

It was the articular surface of the patella - the back.  It failed due to a combination of malaligned kneecap position, weak quads (particularly vastus medialus), and the added impact of a Leg Length Discreptancy.  The femur was rubbing against the patella.  

Hope your wife gets better soon.

All the Best

James  8) 8) 8) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :) :) :)