Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: plantar fasciitis?  (Read 947 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
plantar fasciitis?
« on: May 31, 2007, 04:19:35 AM »
Just back from ortho apt and even more confused than ever.  He thinks plantar faciitis - which I don't understand.  My feet are fine, fine, fine.  Its the stupid knee / leg that is messed up.  He believes all of the muscle covering are very inflammed and causing pain - so anti-inflammation pills, plus pain pills, brace, tens unit, and pt 3x's a week!  Augh  This seems to be going in reverse of getting better to me.

The known things wrong with the knee are:  torn menisus, oa, chrodromalicia, it band tightness and a ganglion cyst.  Now he's tossed in plantar fasciitis.  I'm to do heat and cold all day long. 

My question is is this guy nuts or what?  Maybe I'm missing the "big picture" however I simply don't understand.  The pt begins on Friday so I centainly want to have my questions ready by then.  What do you guys think?

Offline asteinsbwt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: plantar fasciitis?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
Hi eaglemom--

I'm no doctor and I'm sure that what I don't know about feet and leg and knee problems could fill many libraries, but I can tell you that I have had several bouts of plantar fasciitis over the years, the most recent one--about 10 months ago--the most serious: an MRI revealed a tear in the plantar fascia and I had to wear a soft cast and stay off my foot as much as possible for weeks. Thankfully, it is now better and there is no residual pain. I am very careful to do my stretches to try to avoid a recurrence, though there probably was nothing I could have done to avoid the tear: my foot got caught in a hole in the street and I practically howled in pain. I knew right away I had injured my foot.

And the three earlier bouts of plantar fasciitis that I had, much less serious and not caused by a specific injury, all involved foot pain.

I have NEVER had a case of plantar fasciitis, and never known anyone who did, without heel pain. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but you asked what we thought, and I think I'd want a convincing explanation of why your heel isn't affected--or get a second opinion.

Ann

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
I have had plantar fasciitis.  It was caused by stress from limping because of knee problems in the other leg.  I had severe foot pain.  My plantar fasciitis was severe.  I did PT, injections, stretches, night boots, ortheodics, and what else I can't remember.  Ended up with surgery to remove bone spur and release the tendon.  Its fine now.  I have met a lot of people with plantar facsiitis and no one has had it without foot pain.  You can sit in a public place and can almost tell by how people walk if they have it.  You will see them walk up on their toes and not let thier heel touch down. 

Have you gotten other opinions?  Maybe its time to seek that out?
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
I agree with the others. I've also had plantar fasciitis and it was extremely painful around my heel. I have flat feet which is likely the cause. I don't get how a doctor can diagnose that without foot pain.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
I really appreciate the opinions and thoughts.  My heel or foot or whatever are fine, as I've stated.  Its the knee area.  I have pt tomorrow and we certainly will discuss whats going on.  Thanks everyone for the confirmation - I didn't think I was completely crazy!