Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Post op story of the 3 Musketeers (minus 1 Musketeer)  (Read 28230 times)

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
ACL Post op story of the 3 Musketeers (minus 1 Musketeer)
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »
3 Musketeers Cast:
Milton - ACLr 5/30
ToriDance - ACLr 5/31
ermintham - ACLr 6/1

So, here goes the story from the awesome 3 Musketeers!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:12:47 AM by miltonc »
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Post op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36990.0

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
Re: Story of the 3 Musketeers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:18:04 PM »
Day 0: MiltonC

Woke up at 5:15 am.  Showered and got ready quickly.  I wore my soccer uniform minus the cleats (reminiscing old times).  My friend Michael came to pick me up at 5:45 am.  Reached surgery center at 6.  Had a few papers to sign and soon I was whisked away.  I was quickly hooked up to an IV.  anesthesiologist came by and said he would take care of me.  My OS also came and talked to me a little bit.  Very soon I found myself in the recovery room.  Nurse was very helpful.  I was slowly coming to my senses.  Didnt feel any nauseated at all.  Not much pain either.  I had a brace on and the Cryo/Cuff on my knee already.  My OS never came and briefed me about how the surgery went.  Another friend Kate came to pick me up.  By 10 am I was back home. 
Felt a little pain.  So took my Oxycodone.  I am lying in the couch.  Feet elevated.  Pain soon disappears.  Start calling all my friends and my parents.  Try to watch the French Open in the Tennis Channel.  Fall in and out of sleep.  Not sure if I want to use the CPM machine yet or wait until tomorrow.  Might give it a shot in the night. 
Feeling of euphoria that surgery is complete.  Looking forward to rehab!!
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline Amanda82032

• Forum Faithful
  • Have you hugged your Orthopedic Surgeon today?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
Good luck with rehab! It can be tough road, but well worth it.

Here's a tip: while doing excersises watch sports. it keeps you motivated!!

Amanda
18yo
Jan. 04=LR=R
Mar. 04=VMO Adv=R
Jul. 04=VMO Adv=L
Jan. 05=Chondroplasty=R
Jul. 05=TTT=R
Nov. 05=TTT=L
Jan. 06=Goodbye staple=R
Jul. 06=Patella ligament recon&shortened patellar tendon=R
Dec. 06=Goodbye staple=L
May 07=diagnosed w/EDS
Jul. 07=MPFL recon=R&L

Offline toridance

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:44:42 AM »
Sounds like things went great!  I'm getting anxious... it's about 12am here and i go in at 630am!

go 3 musketeers!

Offline toridance

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »
You guys are going to be jealous... went in this morning and turns out he didn't need to do the ACL!  Only about 15% was torn and he trimmed off those pieces.  He did, however, have to do some work on my medial meniscus and clean up some chondramalacia.  Apparently he is pretty sure these two things caused the pain, instability, and hypermobility that I've had. Hopefully he is right.

I guess the only bummer of the morning is that I didn't end up getting the nerve block like I would have if I had the aclr... so the knee hurts a good amount but I've got all my happy pills to help with that.

Hope day 2 is good, Milton.  Good luck tomorrow, Ermintham!

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:07:52 AM »
Thats absolutely fabulous news!!  Mighty jealous of you, but I am not in bad shape (pain wise) at this time.  So I am fine.  Take care of the knee and dont do anything crazy to hurt it. 

Ermintham, good luck on your surgery..
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:17:14 AM »
Day 1: Milton
I am not in any pain unless I try to get up and walk to the restroom.  Walking to the restroom is an adventure.   I guess with the anesthesia I was quite dizzy.  Its quite a strain to walk 10 yds to go to the restroom.  I thought I would pass out and fall down.  But I somehow maanaged the initial bathroom trips.  Now I am getting a little better at it.  I dont feel quite dizzy now, but its painful trying to stand up and walk. 
I used the CPM machine for 7 hrs straight.  It was set to 0 - 40 degrees.  Everyday I need to increase the range by 5~10 deg.  The CPM machine works fine.  My cryocuff on the other hand, I am not sure how effective it is.  I dont feel it cooling a lot.  Maybe I dont feel it with all the bandages.  But I will be getting a different version of the ice machine tomorrow.  The one with the pump and all that good stuff.  Plan on going to PT from Monday onwards. 
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL Post op story of the 3 Musketeers (without Toridance)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 06:38:02 AM »
Day 2: Milton
Lots of interesting stuff today.  Got this fancy ice machine from GameReady.  I can have it for 14 days.  So I want to make the best use of it.  Its awesome.  The only drawback.  The ice lasts only for 2 hrs if you go without breaks.  Anyways, this ice machine can keep your knee cold and also keep it compressed.  The thing that I like the most is the knee wrap.  Its huge.  Covers almost the entire leg. 
I use the CPM from 0 - 50 deg for 7 hrs straight.  I also have the GameReady wrap on while doing the CPM.  So its not all that bad.   Notice that my quad muscles have completely atrophied. Big surprise there.  Try to do some exercises for quad.  I tried to flex it for 6 seconds and relax.  I tried to do 30 sets.  The more I tried to work the knee, the more pain.  Lots of pain.  Popped my pain killers.  Long night awaits. 
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 07:34:30 AM »
Day 3: Milton
Finally, time to get into some sh*tty business.  I took JBs advice and popped in some stool softeners.  They work great.  Thanks for the tip. 
Also, decided I will take a shower today.  Elaborate plans were made on how I would get into the walk in shower and sit on a chair and take shower.  However, all plans were scrapped and I just got into the bath tub and took a bath with my left leg elevated and out of the water.  It was so much easier than the other option and more relaxing too.  Looked hard, but all you have to do is somehow sit on the bathtub and swivel yourself inside.  Piece of cake! Unwrapped bandages and rewrapped it.  About 5 very small incisions.  Pretty disappointed that I cant show it off. 
CPM machine is taking all of my time.  But it does the work for me.  I set the range from 0 - 60 today.  I spent about 7 hrs on it.  Pretty cool.
Game ready ice machine is the bomb.  Keeps the ice water flowing all the time.  I am having problems in changing the ice water every 3 ~ 4 hrs.  I should do in intervals of 30 minutes, but it feels so good I just let it run.  Anyone has ideas how to siphon off the water and add ice easily.  I hate to bother my roommate every 3 ~ 4 hrs with it. 
All in all, not a bad day. 
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:25:31 AM »
I thought I would add this section to thank everyone who has helped me during my post op period.  Without them, there was no way I could have gone through this ordeal.  Its only 3 days post op, but already feeling much better.  Its great to have such friends.  Post op is such a breeze with you guys. 

Kate - You are such a great help.  The 1st day was the most important and you made me feel so comfortable.  I was of course acting like a needy baby.  From taking me home, to getting me all set up.  It was awesome.  I almost felt like I had checked into a 5 star hotel. 

Lorna - Not sure how I would have managed without you.  From constantly checking up on me to making sure I have enough ice and cooking those fabulous meals.  Also letting me sleep on your couch.  I appreciate you pushing me to work hard on my rehab and also pushing me to schedule my surgery when I was just not sure how I was going to manage post operative care.  Without you, I would probably still be in pre op period limping around feeling sorry for myself. 

Michael - Thanks for getting this all started by taking me to the surgery center. 

Scott - Thanks for checking up on me and taking off some work load.

Andrea - Thanks for checking up on me when I was lying in the couch hooked up to the CPM with desperate need to go to the restroom.  I still need to pay you for the Aspirin and the bag of ice. 

Tom - With 2 ACLr, you are a constant source of knowledge.  Thanks for the ice machine and the ice. 

Marcos - Thanks for checking up on me buddy. 

Brent - Thanks for offering the TENS unit.  I will try and get it this weekend. 

Elliott - You are the source of my inspiration. 

Parents and Family - Thanks for all the moral support and help. 

Nurses at the surgery center - You were all fabulous!

Fellow Kneegeeks - Happy to have such a faithful support group. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:30:28 AM by miltonc »
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline ermintham

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »
Hi peeps....jus managed to get my brother to shift my table so that i can use the lap top

1st june : checked in at 1pm. supposedly have to have my surgery at three pm. but coz of delays in the previous patient, i only went in the OT at 5:30 pm.

anaesthetist did my IV wrongly. placed some anaesthesia and it din seem to flow right. had it redone....and i was into the OT. when i woke up, my head was spinning terribly, i nv had such a feeling frm GA before. my eyes were like going in circles and everything was black and white spots...really terrible feeling. i thought i was dead, seriously.

managed to fight that feeling and starting speaking with my eyes closed. my aunt, uncle and parents were there.

took a while b4 i was finally able to open my eyes.

chatted with them and dad told me that Dr chew, my OS, managed to remove the screw embedded in my bones frm the previous acl recon.

leg was wrapped in bandage and a i-dunno-wat-to-call-it thing was wrapping my leg . In it there was icepack. that was definitely not a stranger to me.

i had a tube into my groin area which supplies the femoral nerve block at certain intervals. i also had a drip. ate some cake and told my relatives and parents to go home as i wanted to slp. was given some painkillers ( i din take notice of the names ) and went to slp.

2nd june :  woke up by the nurse who needed to get my blood pressure. was given antibiotics fed thru my IV. i felt my bladder was distended and i tried to urinate. but i couldnt coz of the nerve block. the nurse called a doc to have a cathether and a urine bag for me. i  fell asleep soon after and woke up jus in time for breakfast. was excited coz i was supposed to go home today by 11 am.

however, b4 i cud be discharged, my OS was suppose to see me. but since he was at his other clinic in another hospital he couldnt come til abt 3 pm. well, i wished i cud still go home today coz i have scoliosis and back pain and the soft mattress at the hospital is aggravating the backache.

my OS came at 330pm. and he told me all is well and not to worry. he will send me for to a private physiotherapist who is frm Holland. all his patients see him/her. he said it wud be best if i go home the next day as the femoral nerve block might not subside in time.

so i stayed on til the next day.

3rd june :  had the nerve block reduced slowly thru out the nite b4. was told to use a brace. had my bandages removed and had tegaderms (water proof plaster) on. collected my meds and paid my bills which amted to 37,000 SGD.

went home in my family van.

took a bathe and cleared my bowels. watched a bit of tv. went to have a nap..woke up for dinner and took some cod liver oil.

watched tv and slept..til next day (today).....and here i am...typing with my laptop.

my knee is still quite swollen and it hurts more than the first acl recon coz the nerve block has completely worn off. i have a problem...when i slp i cant keep my leg straight..it tends to move to the side such that my both feet makes a "v" sign and it hurts awfully. i wonder if that will affect the graft or not. anyone?

i tried sleeping on the sides.....turning my leg carefully. im used to sleeping on the sides. have u guys done that? or still slp with the back on the mattress?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:42:25 AM by ermintham »
28/6/06 motorbike accident
31/8/06 scope to clean up the knee
16/11/06 ACLR
12/05/07 Diagnosed mild baja, ACL rupture due to malpositioned graft
1/6/07 ACLR revision

Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36990.0

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 10:39:37 AM »
Ermintham,
Nice to hear from you.  Sounds like you had quite an experience with the anesthetics.  I am only sleeping on my back at this time.  Dont want to move or turn around and do anything to the graft. 
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
Day 4: Milton
I had some headache and felt like I had some fever also.  Maybe because I was not moving much.  So decided to get off the couch and sit outside in the porch.  I get winded even when doing something small.  I need to build back my stamina.  I am getting a little bit more independent.  Not sure how to start putting weight on the operated leg.  So far, I have not put any weight on it.  I was able to go from 0 - 70 on the CPM machine for about 7 hrs again.  The CPM machine is taking all my time.  But no regrets. 
Physical Therapy starts tomorrow.  So that should be fun. 
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Offline ermintham

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
yeah...im trying to put the pillow by the side of my leg to prevent it from turning while i slp...had a few jolts of movement which woke me up yesterday.

i wonder how are we gg to do patella mobilisation when the knee is still so swollen and with all the dressings.
16/11/06 ACLR
1/6/07 ACLR revision

Offline ermintham

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 06:52:26 AM »
day 5: had my first post op checkup today.

went there and he told me its still good...had my dressing changed...got my referral for the physiotherapist. appt is this thursday (7/6) morning at 830am.

threw a few queries to my OS.

he told me its alright to slp sideways. it wudnt affect the graft. and told me to flex my leg once in awhile. the rest were admin qns.

was also given a few more new antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds.

will be seeing OS again next saturday 16/6

knee is feeling much better but it hurts with extension coz i haben got it since i injured my leg abt one yr ago.. so i need to work more on extension.

OS said he's less worried abt flexion

dats all for today. will post how my physio went on thursday.
16/11/06 ACLR
1/6/07 ACLR revision