Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st ever neurologist app Monday June 4th - would love to ask for some advice!!  (Read 1030 times)

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Never grow up :)
I'm having my first ever neurologist appointment next monday, June 4th, at 5:40pm. Any advice on what is the neurologist likely to ask, what kind of things will be talked about in there, what should I bring with me (like test results or else), what should *I* ask while in there, etc? Any advice would be helpful and of course highly appreciated! Thanks :)

First of all I want to ask about my shoulders, the mysterious pain that has been in them for 1,5 years now (more about them can be found from my earlier posts.) And of course will speak about my situation in general. My OS suggested seeing a neurologist a long ago, because of the pain syndromes I most likely have, but haven't gotten a referral from my work doc for that by now, because HE thinks seeing a neurologist is not necessary. Would have loved to get a referral (meaning having the app paid for me), but finally realized it's not gonna happen and I need to take that step on my own and pay for it myself.

I have the emails, where my OS has clearly stated, that seeing a neurologist is necessary not just because of my shoulders, but because of my entire situation. My condition is not normal and most likely I have one or two pain syndromes, very likely rare ones. Over Fibromyalgia and Ehler-Danloss I have been diagnosed with so far, but I know there is more. Going to take those emails with me so that the neurologist will see my OS says seeing a neurologist is necessary. Heck what my work doc thinks, he will not be my doc soon anymore anyway (as my work contract ends in the end of June - more about my work situation can also be found from my earlier posts).

Sought for a neurologist specialized in pain treatment, of course. But to my surprise, that was almost impossible to find. The hospitals I called, didn't even know to tell if they had any that kinda neurologists! Finally went back to the hospital I have used most and surprise - ONE doc spezialized in pain treatment. Felt like I've hit the jackpot, since that hospital is where all of my patient records are in already.

On the hospital pages there is a description of doc's interests and specialties. He is a professor in neurology and his interests are described as: pain treatment, migraine, neuropathic pain, pain in damaged nerves. Googled some more. And found out he mainly works at the pain clinic I didn't got into, but where I attended a pain workshop group last winter.

That is a major pain clinic in our capital town Helsinki and he works in the neurology department. Sounds good and he also seems good on paper. Here is also listed what he has published etc. http://www.hus.fi/default.asp?path=59,403,10197,10315,11351

To you who have more experience over neurologists, does this one seem okay?
Just gotta hope he also is a nice doc. Had that luck with my OS - he is a world famous doc, who also is one of the best docs I've ever gotten along with! Crossing my fingers for this one... :-X

Chris
*~
31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Chris, just go from beginning to end in your story and don't start with the last things that has happened to you.
Cause if you take everything from the start maybe there will be a pattern showing up.Could be helpful for him. Also try write everything down in time..year and month when things started.
And be sure have written down everything, not in long sentences...small words that make you remember everything you want to ask him.
Wish you best of luck !!
HUGS NETTAN 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Never grow up :)
Thank you!! :D

Chris
*~
31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Don't know how much that will help..but you're welcome !! :)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.