Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help! I am in so much pain!  (Read 1965 times)

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help! I am in so much pain!
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »
My left knee has a possible meniscus tear--I am scheduled for an MRI day after tomorrow. Tonight, while going down the stairs, I came down hard on this knee and I felt pain bad enough to make my face just go white (according to my friends) and make me sick to my stomach. Four hours later I can put no weight on my knee and am having a LOT of pain bending it. Even using crutches and partial weight bearing is pretty awful. I felt something maybe popped or snapped in my knee--it is suddenly MUCH worse than it was. It was sore and achy but now... oh my God.

Any suggestions?

Offline step

• Regular Poster
Re: Help! I am in so much pain!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
My advice would be not to bend, if bending hurts so much - and in general, to rest and elevate the knee until an OS sees it.

Is it swollen? Where? And where is the pain?

Lennie

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
It is sort of generally swollen, I cant tell where it is coming from. Pain feels generally under the knee cap, middle-ish. Hurts most when straightening it (lifting foot up).

This is really tough because my right knee is full of arthritis and cant take much load from the left :(

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
Sounds like you'll have to tough it out until the MRI.

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:23:36 AM »
I am hearing a loud popping noise when I move it... what is THAT?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:08:17 AM »
Could be anything or nothing. Wait until you get the answers from the Mri.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:06:21 PM »
Have you tried painkillers and anti inflammatories?
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Try lots of ice for the pain !!!  and maybe pop in to see a GP for pain meds

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 03:23:48 AM »
I finally got the news from the OS today, after he saw my MRIs.

My left knee, the painful one, has bursitis and an effusion. The OS is going to drain the effusion and then start me on PT. This knee is actually feeling much better now--the pain is almost entirely gone and rest has done WONDERS for it. I think it all came from complete overuse from favoring my right leg. During this last month, I took two short vacations  in which I did a LOT of walking and well, I think this poor knee said "ENOUGH!". He thinks he can "beat it back into submission" with PT and draining it.

The news on my right knee is not so good. I already knew there was a lot of arthritis where I had a menisectomy 25 years ago. Unfortunately, the MRI also showed that my ACL is torn, and possibly the PCL. He said nothing short of a knee replacement will fix all this but says I am too young (45). I dont really want one, either. I brought up the Unispacer, and he said they were pretty much a disaster and people ended up needing a knee replacement anyway. I guess we will discuss what can be done when I get the fluid/blood drained out of the other knee, but uh... any ideas I should bring up to him?

THanks!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
I haven't read anything good about Unispacers. In fact I haven't heard anything about them for a long while. But if you only have one bad compartment in your knee you may want to discuss a partial knee replacement. They have really come a long ways. I had one last December at the age of 48. The only problem is I had to have an intact ACL. Mine was reconstructed 17 years ago and it is still in good shape so the doctor did the surgery. So far I'm quite happy with the results. I've already been back on my mountain bike. Unfortunately, I just had surgery on my opposite ankle three days ago. I was a bit worried about how my knee would hold up with me being on crutches for two weeks. So far it's doing well. A little sore from handling all the weight but not too bad. And I'm not supposed to be moving around anyway.

My doctor did tell me the PKR would probably last only about 10 years and he would either revise the PKR or do a TKR. But he said technology is moving very fast now and that there would likely be something better in 10 years.

support