Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scheduled Surgery!!  (Read 1102 times)

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Scheduled Surgery!!
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »
I have posted before about having a cyst on my left knee. Well arthroscopy surgery is scheduled for June 14.. anyone know what I can expect?? Any thoughts would be helpful..

Thanks,
Angela
Cyst and 2 tears in meniscus 6/07
OS has no more ideas refered to Pain management 7/07

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Scheduled Surgery!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:28:35 PM »
Hey Angela, sorry about the problems you are having.  I am about 12 hours post op from arthroscopic knee surgery.  I will preempt my answer with EVERY surgery is a bit different and yours will be quite different from mine as they are two completely different indications for the procedure.  The only similarity is the basics of the surgery "the arthroscopy". 

You will have 3 or 4 port sites which will have either a stitch or staple to approximate the wound afterwards.  I am not having an enormous amount of pain, but I am keeping up on the RICE and pain meds (take them on a schedule rather than when you start to have pain so that you pain does not get out of hand).  The procedure which you will have is to remove the cyst.  It is not just popping or draining the cyst, it actually involves getting rid of the cyst itself so that it does not reform all over again.  I am using crutches and trying to take it easy.  You may have a cryotherapy bandage post op, hope so because they are great!
 Hope that this answers some of your questions!
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 05:06:36 AM »
I have a question.  Is it a bakers cyst or a ganglian cyst?  I ask because I have a ganglian cyst on my left medial side about one inch below my knee on the outside of the leg.  My ortho isn't too excided to do any surgery on the cyst because the cyst has two nerves on both sides of it.  Well, thats whats hurting in my case, maybe.  Just wondering what type it is and exactly what is the recovery time given?  I've got several other knee issues but I really think the cyst is a major issue with me.  Let me know.

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »
I am a little nervous but the OS didnt say which kind of cyst it was so Im not real sure. Im thinking about how much pain will I be in? And if this is close to the nerves how will that affect everything? My new OS told me plan to be out of work for 1-2 weeks, that I will be on crutches for atleast 4 days, and my car is a stick shift so I cant drive even once Im able to because I dont want to mess anything else up. I dont really know what else to say Im just scared and really dont know what to expect!  ???

Thanks for your replies!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 04:49:14 AM »
I see my ortho tomorrow and we are going to have a detailed discussion about my cyst.  When I get back I'll report in what he has to say.  I really don't like him much but he and I need to agree that something isn't right with my knee and find an acceptable solution for both of us.  hang in there.

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »
Well I finally called my OS back yesterday and told him that I was in alot of pain and withour a doubt called in vicodin with a refill until I get my surgery. Im so thankful I have a OS that understands what Im going thru. Ill keep posting and let you know how surgery went.