Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post TTT question please read  (Read 698 times)

Offline nichole

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Post TTT question please read
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:17:38 AM »
HI all . I had a TTT 15 mos ago and I STILL cant kneel or squat I can bend it, but not much lately (see my post in Emergency)  I was wondering how many of you can't kneel and how long ago was the TTT. The reason I can't kneel is that there is only skin and bone it hurts like #%&%^ but today I was at Target shoe shopping and I was sitting on the ground and I started to stiffen up and I readjusted my knee and kicked my scar area ,not hard at all but I was  in tears OH MY I thought I was gonna pass out it hurt so bad !!!

I want to kneel so bad lol I know it sounds crazy well prolly not knowing most of us on here have not kneeled(sp) in years .
Yes!!! I have tried knee pads , several of them NONE work I put one on and I kneeled and same thing I was in tears. I am better than before in some ways but I honestly all in all wish I never had the surgery . I wonder if there is anything that they can do to make it less sensitive .  Am I the only one that is this sensitive and still cant kneel? b/c of the bone/ skin the lil cliff (ledge) on the bone is where it REALLY hurts BAD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~PLEASE HELP~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                                            <3  *hugs* Nichole
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:32:13 AM by nichole »
torn miniscus 02'03
tons of cortizone inj
patella femoral realignment 02-24-06
28 yo f mom srudent

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Post TTT question please read
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
Hi Nichole,

My TTT was unsuccessful for a lot of reasons but I was told at the time it can take up to 18-24 months to recover properly. Bear in mind your whole body has to readjust to the changes in your knee too and so certain things will be more difficult. It's not unusual to be unable to kneel down at this point, although it is frustrating and inconvenient at times. If your scar area is hypersensitive, try being "touchy feely" with it. You should touch it as much as you can and see if you can rub moisturiser into it. This way, the scar area will become desensitised a little and you can combat any dry skin you may have.

The TTT sutery is a major one and can be difficult to recover from. You've already come most of the way now, just don't give up. Painful as it is, if you persevere, you'll find you have positive results before too long.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline nichole

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:11:12 AM »
Good idea I will try that thanks any one else have this problem ?
torn miniscus 02'03
tons of cortizone inj
patella femoral realignment 02-24-06
28 yo f mom srudent

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
HI,
I couldnt kneel for YEARS after my surgery - ive a screw holding in the patellar tendon. Was much too sensitive for a long long time.
But it did happen eventually. Being touchy-feely with the scar area does help. Another thing that helped me was massaging the scar area.
Over time I have developed extra bone around the screw site, my leg has a visible lumpy area there, its not painful to touch or press on.
You will reach a point where you can kneel briefly on soft surfaces, like your bed or a cushion, and it will progress from there.
I still wouldnt be able to knee on a hard surface for any period of time, but I could for a few minutes at a time - its not extreme pain, its just that its uncomfortable.
My surgery was 18 years ago - I think it was at least 6 years before I could knee on a relatively hard surface (a carpet) without thinking about it.
15 mos sounds long - but its not for your surgery, speak to your physio or OS about helping to desensitise the area, I know I endured some incredibly painful scar manipulations that hurt like crazy at the time, but definitely helped in the long run.
Keep your spirits up Nicole, do the things you can do and persevere with the things you cant do - it will all come good in time for you.
Best of luck.
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline ataraktos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:51:14 PM »
I'm 12 *years* post Fulkerson TTT and still have my screw (although it needs to come out) and there's no way I can even think about kneeling, even on something soft. 

So long as I don't let anything even slightly bump the screw area, I'm good ... the bone that was broken and moved is still sensitive too, but I think having my screw removed would help.

before I found this forum, and read some of the not-so-great outcomes, I thought my 2 years of rehab and thinking I'd never walk again were pretty crappy. Now I just feel fortunate that, while there are some things I can't do, my situation turned out as good as it did. I had no idea what a major operation TTT was until recently.

Have a read of Deborah's story:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_08_patients/deborah.html

I don't know what kind of hardware you have - you may have hardware tenderness and would benefit from having it removed at some point in the future.

Oh, and I know exactly how you feel - I still remember how wonderful it was to get down on the floor, *to actually sit on the floor*, for the first time after surgery. Never mind, I'd probably still be down there, had I not had a nearby couch to help me get up - I was sitting on the floor!! :-) Hang in there and best of luck!