Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Op pics & analysis. Microfracture. How bad is it. Doc says no more sports  (Read 1146 times)

Offline cman321

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello.  I am 40 and an avid sports player that has had no problems until recently. I thought this was to be routine surgery since pain was not too bad prior, but ended up w/ a Microfracture and other cartilage damage.  Doc recommends no running EVER.  This is really disappointing and I will continue to research to see if there will be anyway to eventually continue sports.

The knee is 2 months post op and clicks a bunch and still doesn't feel as good as pre op.

Surgery Analysis
1) Grade 4 chondromalacia of lateral tibial plateua
2) Grade 2 chondromalacia of medical femoral condyle.
3) Marginal tear of middle horn of lateral meniscus, chronic.
4) Grade 2 chondromalica of the patella.

Work done
1) Chondoplasty of the medial femoral condyle and patella
2) Athropick (microfracture) of lateral tibial plateau defect
3) Partial lateral menisectomy

Notes.  
1) Photo 1 show chondromalacia of medical femoral condyle.
2) Replaced ACL from surgery in 1997 still intact (Photo 2)
3) Photo 5 shows full-thickness articular cartilage defect and flap tear.  This is associated with lateral meniscus tear.
4) Photo 6 shows removal of flap and microfracture performed in the defect area.
5) Photo 9 shows grade 1-2 damage primarily in the inferior pole of the patella

Offline taekwonmo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I'm not sure how bad any of this is, but read my reply to this thread for what has been helping me:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36946.0.

Also check out the website www.posetech.com for a totally different method of running that takes 50% of the pressure off your knees and has worked for people with seriously damaged knees.  Lots of work!

Good luck and sorry I'm not more help. :-)
Mo
Osteoarthritisy, post-opish, chondroplastic fun!

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
I wish I could help, but my OS doesn't want me ever to run again either - not even on a treadmill.  His answer is that it is extremely damaging to the already damaged patella and more would just cause more problems.  To be honest, I couldn't run if I tried, but ...  For many of us, the years that we loved doing sports, hiking/backpacking, tennis, gynmastics, cheerleading, etc., all cause joint problems for many of us.  Had I known that backpacking several times down the Grand Canyon would cause some of my problems today, I would still have done those hikes.  I am paying the cost now.

BTW, 2 months post op is probably not enough to evaluate those clicks and pops.  I have had 2 major knee surgeries.  In both cases the OS cleaned up the cartliage, but the clicks and crunches are still there.  They probably always will be.   Give it a year to see if it feels better.  Knees take forever to heal and reduce the swelling.  Mine has been 11 months and I am still a bit swollen whenever I work out.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline cman321

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Yeah.  I probably won't run again and listen to the doc.  But if my knee ever feels completely normal I may be very tempted.

Funny thing is my knee wasn't that bad painwisel before surgery.  I was still playing bball just prior to surgery.  So I suprised to see all the damage.  I am not sure which one of the 4 problems was the main source of the pain. 

Thanks for the advice.