Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "Oh no" moment  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Manrillson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"Oh no" moment
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:59:57 PM »
Hi. I had my ACL (hamstring) op around 19 weeks ago and everything had been going really well. I've been doing some light fooball training as recomended by my physio and, during one of these sessions, over extended my knee which was quite painful. It's been aching a little, slowly getting better since but I'm worried that I may have torn or tweaked the graft??

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: "Oh no" moment
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »
RICE RICE .... take it easy...  you will be ok in a few days..   do let us know
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline aliglass

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:17:39 AM »
Absolutely RICE!  If you have a suspicion ly up for a day and see how it feels - it'll take something big to damage your new ligament, chances are you've pulled something in and around it.

If in doubt see your physio or OS.

Just curious, at 19 weeks what "light football training" are you doing?  I miss it so much, I often think i've forgotten how to kick with my right foot it's been that long!
Jan 2004 - partial ACL tear
Jun 2005 - return to football
Jan 2006 - rupture ACL, torn meniscus
Apr 2006 - returned to football
5th Feb 2007 - ACL reconstruction, meniscus left alone.

Offline Manrillson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
I've been doing some head tennis, short passing and some cutting drills figure 8 running and dribbling around cones. The hospital physio said that I'd been doing well and so I should be OK to start doing this kind of stuff. I haven't had too many problems so far, probably why I panicked when I over extended but it's worrying when I haven't an appointment with the surgeon for another month. At least it brought me to this site, makes you feel better reading everyone else's niggles!

Thanks for your help.

Offline aliglass

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »
You don't necessarily need to see your OS, if you give him a call they're normally happy to call you back within a day usually.  And if what you tell him concerns him enough then he'll see you straight away.

Chances are you're fine, I do think you'd know about it if you'd wrecked it again.
Jan 2004 - partial ACL tear
Jun 2005 - return to football
Jan 2006 - rupture ACL, torn meniscus
Apr 2006 - returned to football
5th Feb 2007 - ACL reconstruction, meniscus left alone.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
graft is most llikely okay, yes you would probably know because you would have that familiar instability feeling. but there are many other things around the knee that can get tweaked or pulled as you get used to training again. it's probably okay, but if symptoms persist more than a few weeks, definitely see your os.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline WJD

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »
I keep having this when my knee hyperextends.  Its not recovered as much hyperextension as the good leg, and on Saturday walking accross a field, my heel went down a hole causing my leg to hyperextend.  It happens quite often and it makes me go "ouch ouch" and hop/limp about for a few minutes, then it fades away.  So I am assuming no harm done!

WJD
02/05 - ACL damage in a skiing collision.
01/06 - suspect lateral meniscus tear kneeling to change a DVD.
6/4/06 - Arthroscopy to remove meniscus bucket handle tear, ACL found to be ruptured.
6/3/7 - Hamstring ACLR