Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee  (Read 47530 times)

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »
hi angel!!
kidd is lovelly!!
i'm so sorry to hear that you are in pain,i hope it soon eases and the med are giving you some relief?
wish me luck!! i'm doing a sponsered charity event tomorrow for cancer research,its called "race for life" although i will probably be crawling it!! LOL!
i'll let you know how i get on!!
take care!
give those lovely pets a hug from me!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
HI Kidd

So sorry to hear you had to have a revision so soon. 
Do not feel bad about taking pain meds.   Ice is great , Keeping your knee cold helps.  I found my kyrocuff was a great help for pain with my TKA.   Just remember you had two big operations and your body needs time to heal.   If your pain level is up there do not be afraid of taking pain meds or calling your OS to ask for something different.  If you are uncomfortable you are uncomfortable.   You just had a revision and you shouldnt compare that to the first surgery at all.  Try to get up and walk around a bit so your muscles stay strong.  I always found that walking pain was different than sitting pain.   The bone is probally tender from all the trauma of the revision.  I know it sucks to be back using a crutch or a cane. It is like a set back but sometimes our bodies tell us when things are just too much to go it alone.  Better to have a support for a day or two than to risk falling down. right ???

You will feel  better soon.  Remember pharmacists  are not doctors and they do not know what medical procedures you had.  When you have your bones messed around with the pain can be around for a year.  Your OS will monitor you and make sure he is not giving you too many painkillers for your condition.  If your pharmacist does not want to fill an rx it is his choice if he keeps a customer or not. 

It is far better to take a lower pain medication  and sitting at home than to be on strong medications and being admitted to hospitals.  Your doctor understands this and that is why he told you that waldgreens wouldnt give you push back. Listen to your OS . If he feels that you are taking too much for your condition he will let you know it.  Trust him. 

kiddthekatt

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2007, 08:52:19 PM »
Thank you Claire, and know that I will be with you in my thoughts and prayers. Like you, I've joined the walked for charity every year except this year. I walk for breast cancer survivors. This has become very close to my heart. If I was able and in the UK instead of Texas, I would walk it with you. Take your time, enjoy the freedom and GOOD LUCK!!

Angel

I took this pic this morning, my plants are looking so pretty.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2007, 09:05:47 PM »
Hi Wiki;
   Thank you for your support. I don't like taking the hydro, but I do. It doesn't set well on my stomach. I filed a grievance against the pharmacist..............lol, let him talk his way out of that one. I agree about the lower pain meds. If I get a chance to get out of the house, I take it and I don't want to be pilled up and not be able to enjoy it. My OS makes sure that I have everything that I need. I'll know more Tue. when my PT gets here about the pain in my knee and shin. I've been fortunate enough to have a fully stocked gym here at home. I wish I had called him after the first surgery instead of using an outside source, but like I said in an earlier post I do makes mistakes. It's just that I am so blasted tired of this being laid up. I had hopes of being on the road to a full recovery by 10 weeks, and I find myself starting over from scratch. But I'll get there, just not as soon as I had hoped. Enjoy your weekend and be safe and pain free.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Angel - so sorry you are in that much pain again.  Others have said this and I know you know -- don't let the pain get ahead of you.  It is so hard to get it under control once it takes off.  I understand about the pain meds but I've given up fighting them after two years!!!  If I don't take something the pain just gets ahead and I'm miserable the rest of the day (makes the people I supervise very unhappy when I'm unhappy)!!  Let us know what your PT said on Tuesday or your OS if you have to call them on Monday.  You know I'm watching with GREAT interest (and some fear).  I want the arthritis pain to be gone but right now I can walk and I don't want to jeopardize that.  Although - no real choice in the PKR.

Kidd is very cute.  I'll post a picture of my dog sometime when I'm not at work and have a little more time to find them again.  Also, great plants - I love hybiscus and that one is a very pretty color.

Claire - how did the walk go?  I admire you for taking that on and I hope you had a great time.  How is work going and how is your knee doing in general? 

Have a good Sunday all.

Take care,
Deborah

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
hello angel!!
thanks for you support in my thread!!
the "race for life" went very well and i'm so happy i got to do it again!
deborah,work is going okay now,still very busy and unorganised but i feel i am catching up with the changes that happened while i was off and getting into the routine again.
my knee is doing pretty well,its abit achey now after the walk this morning but in general its looking and feeling better.
my ROM was at 130 degrees last week at PT although i still have my"off days" were it is very very stiff and swollen,the cold spell of weather we have had in the last fortnight here has brought with it many aches and pains (probably old age setting in now i'm in my thirties!! ;))
take care and keep me posted how you are both getting on!
claire x

kiddthekatt

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
Hi Deborah, welcome back, I was beginning to worry about you. How was your trip? Hope a;; went well.
   Yep, the pain is the pits for sure, but right now I'm on top of it again. That stupid shin pain has settled, geez!! I think mainly it's me not wanting to do anything that might hinder the 2nd surgery. I'll get over that, just leary I think. I am FWB again, my knee feels real good. I'm still sitting at 100 ROM and 0 ext, but I haven't pushed too hard. I know that Greg will do that for me..........That revision so soon after the PKR spooked me, but I'm back on track, and as for my new best friend Hydroco the Great, think I'll keep him around for a while....... ;D

Claire!! CONGRATS!
   I'm so very happy for you. What an accomplishment after all you've been through. I've set myself some goals and will slowly get everyone of them. Sometimes I think without goals, we would be left hanging somehow. In fact my first goal is getting easier. The day I can get off off the toilet without hangong onto the doorknob and counter top will be a good day!! Then when I can work on my right foot and toenails, well, just say I will be ready to celebate. I did get out this morning and drove to the store. Now that felt too good. I made sure not to buy a lot because my hubby is out of town until tomorrow and I had to make sure I could get it into the house. Everything went just fine. Congrats again Claire.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »
hey angel!!
you will reach your goals!! I KNOW YOU WILL!!
i set myself very small targets some of which seemed huge at the time!
i can remember getting excited about achieving the smallest things that to other people probably sounded pretty trivial things to get happy about but to me they felt huge!!
its sounds as though you are doing great and have a very supportive family!! (and some lovely pets!!!)
take care and keep up the great work!
you are doing alot better then you give yourself credit for!!
you have been through such alot and always sound so positive!
claire x
(sorry for the short post! i was supposed to be hving an early night but its about 11.20pm here which is later then i usually go to bed!!!!!)

kiddthekatt

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
Good morning all;
   Well, I start PT in the morning and I'm getting excited. I'm that much closer to getting me back............lol I woke up feeling great this morning. The knee has it's normal after sleep stiffness but my first set of exercises limbered it up. So, I had a brain fart and decided to take the golf cart out and ride down to the pond on the back part of our land. I asked my little babies if they wanted to go for a ride, all 6 of them love to ride in the golf cart. So here we go, it was nice, flowers are blooming, everything is so green and it felt so good to get out of the house. We rode around for a while, stopping to let the little guys jump out and chase a squirrell and run and bark. I laughed so hard just watching them. They all run together and turn like a flock of birds in the sky. Once the squirrell was safely back up a tree they ran back and jumped up into the gold cart.
    And then it happened! The damn thing went dead. ::) We were about a hundred yards from the house and having a gimp knee makes it look a heck of a lot further. I don't guess it charged completely. Well, I took my crutch and told the guys we had to walk. Seemed to take forever!! But we made it, and all is well. I bet my babies think twice about going off with me again............lol I called my husband and thought he was going to have a stroke. For all of 5 minutes I had to listen to,"  Are you ok? Why didn't you call me? Why did you go off on that thing knowing I wasn't at home? yada yada yada". I told him that had I known that the batteries hadn't charged completely I wouldn't have. But the walk was good for me. I feel fine, and he needed to get my temporary wheels back to house when he got home so I can get it charged.
    About the time I hung up my closest neighbor knocked on the front door. He had seen me drive off and watched as I hobbled back. lol. He took his tractor down and pulled my golf cart back and had her plugged in. He thought that maybe I needed new batteries, so he's gone to town to pick them up for me. LMAO, my husband is going to love that. He's never been one to like my golf cart anyway. Oh well, right now that's my way of getting around and taking care of business down in the barn and so on.
   My knee feels fine, a little tender, but I have it iced now and just resting. It was well worth it to get out of this blasted house. Take care all.

Angel

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »
Angel,

Sounds like quite an adventure!  Glad you are doing well though.  Doesn't 100 yards seem like 100 miles when you knee is not so good.  Glad the babies had a good time too.  You could always tell hubby that he could come and carry you piggy back if the cart is such a pain.  ;D  Good luck at PT.  I need a short walk my knees are "jumpy" or is "twitchy" a better word? Anyway glad you could get out a bit.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 07:43:09 PM »
hi angel!
it sounds as though you had an action packed day!!
i was reading the first part of your tale imaging it was me and how nice it sounded and then when i read the bit about the cart stopping i froze!
it's great that you managed to get back to the house unhurt though!
i was holding my breath there for a while while i read on hoping you were not going to type that you have injured yourself trying to get back or tripped over one of the dogs!
i hope your PT goes okay,i'll check back in to see how you get on!
take care,
claire x

kiddthekatt

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »
Milly;
  That was a looooonnnnnggggg 100 yards. I just took my time, stopped and had a brief rest and laughed at my babies. I laughed at myself also. I'm definitly a product of Murphy's Law ;D

Claire,
   I think my babies know that I have a hard time getting around at times and they have been real good about getting not under foot. I had to come in rest a while and I took a long nap. I just woke up a little while ago and now waiting on my coffee to brew. Our land is pretty flat, though it is grass as far as one can see. I wasn't real worried about tripping, I was more worried about running into a snake!! I hate those things. They make me hurt myself. I tackled with a rattler about 11 years ago while visiting my oldest son in West Texas. I reached down to pick up oldest granson who was a year old at the time and he got me on the wrist. That was the most painful thing I had ever had happen to me, even worst than the PKR. It was hot about 112* F and my son rushed me to the ER. I had to stay for a couple of days, but all in all I wound up with two tiny matching scars. So now I have a healthy respect for snakes. I just don't mess with them at all. We don't see many around, with the cats in the barn and all, so I'm usually pretty comfortable while out walking around. But I sure do like my golf cart. My middle son painted it while with fire shooting down both sides...........lol, he calls it " The Granny Hotrod". My kids were born with my sense of humor thank goodness, my hubby is a little stodgy at times, as we are almost complete opposites, we complment one another. He's 6' 4" about 220, and I'm 5' and weigh about 140, I've gained 6 pounds just laying around and I have got to get it off. We look like Mutt and Jeff. Take care.................

Angel

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2007, 11:54:54 PM »
Sounds like you are getting along wonderfully  after the PKR revision.  I was worried about your leg cramps and thought maybe it was DVT. But it seems to have gone away.. 

kiddthekatt

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »
Hi Wiki;
   I was a little worried about blood clot at first, but I've been on anti-imflammatories for so long I don't worry too much about clots. I think I just over reacted because of the revision taking place so soon after the PKR. Everyday I feel better and better, still the normal pain of after surgery, and of course the pain of Osteo in my other joints. I have an appointment with my pain management doc Friday, see what she thinks then.

Take care
Angel

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2007, 04:35:20 AM »
I am surprised they do not have you on Comadin or Lovenox injections.  Good luck with the pain management doc on Friday..  I am sure they will check you for DVT as a part of normal follow up.  From what you write you seem very mobile which is good.

support