Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee  (Read 46056 times)

kiddthekatt

Re: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Xrays loooked real good!! Dr. Mc is real pleased with everything in general. He explained everything he did to me. He had been really worried about the PKR after just doing the same thing 8 weeks ago. He was afraid that after going in that he would have to do a TKR. But all in all, the surgery is a success. Now it's healing time.YUK! He measured my ROM and I was sitting at 100 this morning, without any help from either of us, and that made him even happier. He asked me about a PT and I told him that he had been out and we had agreed on a time to start. I'm going to use a retired pro-football trainer/PT. I've known him for years and trust him, even though he is a little peod at me for not calling him the first time. Ok, so we all make mistakes, but I won't make that same mistake again. I told Dr Mc who he was and he agreed that he was the best. So, now all I have to do is listen and get better. Please let me know when you are set for surgery Milly, my prayers are with you. It has been so good for my soul to know that there are people out there that know what you're going through.
  Dr. Mc also told me that as soon as I felt safe, that I could start driving again, Yiippppeeee. We live in the country so I can practice and not be afraid I'll run over someone. And he told me wshower all I want. I go back in 9 days to have the staples removed, and to be xrayed again. Hopefully it's going to be going on the right side of the hill by then. I feel very good about the whole situation and ready to get my life back. Our pool is ready and I'm ready to get in it. After the staples come out then I can start exercising in the pool. Now it's time for a nap, the trip to town tired me out. Talk later................

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »
hey there you sound as though you are doing great!!
keep up the great work!!
wow 100 degrees ROM! thats great! im at 120-125 and im 4 months post op!! imagine where you will be then!!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

kiddthekatt

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 07:12:35 PM »
Thank you Claire, I do feel wonderful right now. Although I do have that damn nagging healing pains :'( And I know that by reading the posts here that I'll probably have those nagging healing pains for at least a year. Dr. Mc told me this morning that it was up to my body how long my knee would hurt. Everyone is so different. I've already started backing off the pain meds, substituting advil during the day. 3 months taking those dang things is long enough. My knee hurts worse at night, so I'll save them before going to bed. Now, if I could just get my butt situated in the right place with a pillow between my knees so I can sleep on my side, well I'll just say that's going to be pretty close to being on Cloud 9.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »
Glad every seems to be going great right now!  Hope it continues.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »
Could someone tell me how to upload photos to this site please?   Thanks

kiddthekatt

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »
Well, it's day 6 and I'm still hanging in there. I had a rough night. Sometime during the night I rolled onto my side and flipped my gimp knee over my good one. I'm not sure how long I lay in that position, but when I woke up, I thought that I fallen out into the floor. My knee was killing me and my whole damn leg was stiff. Well, to say the least, that made for a long night. After flopping over onto my side the pillows that I had had my leg elevated on fell down behind me, so I couldn't turn over and I couldn't go off the side of the bed. My husband finally heard me grunting and swearing and jumped up. My chihuahuas heard the commotion and they started barking and howling outside our bedroom door, the cats were doing their thing and the whole damn thing woke up the birds. After everything was said and done, my husband was sound asleep, the dogs and cats were quiet and the birds were once again down. And I was wide awake with my knee screaming waiting on the ice and pain pill to kick in. Time for a nap.........hope this finds everyone with less pain and safe

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
I've had similar things after knee surgery.  My "favorite" was when my husband rolled over and bashed my recently operated on knee with his.  Scared him with the yelling and swearing.  But, it did finally feel better later on that day.  Sorry to hear about all the commotion though.  Hope you are feeling better later.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

kiddthekatt

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »
Well, it's 8 days post op and today has been a lot better as far as pain and stiffness goes. I drove to the store and it felt so good to get out of this house. I didn't go too far, as I didn't want to do too much. The bruising around my knee is beginning to turn an ugly yellow/orange and the swelling has been down to a minimum last night and this morning. I can definitly tell a big difference in this second surgery and the 1 st one. My knee feels stronger, that torch burning pain shooting down my shin is gone, and no more popping when I walk. I feel as though I might be heading in the right direction for a change. Take care all and have a safe weekend.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »
It's going on 7am this Saturday morning and I had a really good night. My daughter came in from out of town and to be honest, she was just what the doctor ordered. My grandbabies are so good for my heart and soul, my sunshine and roses!!

Claire: I haven't heard from you in a couple of days, how are you? I've thought about you a lot lately and all that you've gone through. You are a strong lady. Please let me know how you are.

Milly: Hello, hope you're still doing good and holding tight, it won't be long. Hand in there. Let me know how you're doing.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
Good morning all;
   It's 4:45 am and I'm wide awake. Woke up with a sharp pain running down my knee. Sigh.......guess I turned it wrong in my sleep. Other than that my knee is feeling better and better everyday. I go in on Thursday to have the staples removed, that'll help a whole lot. My ROM is coming real nice, I have my CPM set on 116 and it's comfotable. As soon as the staples come out PT will start and I can't wait. Need to get some strength back in my muscles. I am FWB now, and only use a cane when I go out. My knee feels strong and I don't feel any wobbles. I've backed off the pain meds mainly because they upset my stomach, I'm going to talk to my OS Thursday and see about getting them changed. I don't take many of them but when I feel the need to take 1, I don't want to go through that icky stomach crap, I want it to ease the pain. It'll be 2 weeks this Thursday since I had the PKR and I feel so much better. I think a lot of what started the problems after the 1st PKR was going to PT on the very next day and then having the PT treat my leg like a length of sausage. I wish I had found this board before my 1st surgery in March, I would have known what questions to ask and so on.
    I've read so many of the diaries here and a lot of you guys have had numerou surgeries on the same knee. My 1st PKR in March was my first major surgery of any kind, and I had no idea what to expect, especially when it came down to how damn painful it was going to be, or how much of my life was going to be put on hold. When I had to go back into surgery 8 weeks later on the same knee, I went in knowing what to expect. Just reading the threads here has helped me more than anything. I hope this finds everyone safe and having a less painful day.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 01:25:29 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  From your posts it seems like you are doing as well as you can.  I am not really nervous about the surgery yet!  I am waiting for a date as they did not have the July schedule yet.  The weather here has been sunny and beautiful for the most part (which does help the pain).  I feel a storm comming in today, so I think I'll be in for an uncomfortable day.  Hopefully you can start PT soon and get back to a more normal life.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

kiddthekatt

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »
Thank you Milly. I do feel pretty good, at least I don't have that same nagging arthritis pain in my knee that I lived with for so long. The damp and rainy weather hurts me also. My joints start in a couple of days before a storm rolls through. I laughed over the weekend, we had rain all weekend and danged if my new knee didn't feel the effects of the rain. Ugh! I miss hitting the flea markets more than anything, I collect Teddy Bears and old vintage true enamel pots, pans, wash basins and so on. My husband, bless his heart, built me a teddy bear room when we had our house built. He said that he just couldn't wake up with all those beady little black eyes staring at him all the time. But man, just think of all the lost time I have to make up.........I can't wait!!

kiddthekatt

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »
 I just had a phone conversation with my OS, and although he does feel that the PT more or less broke my femural component loose, he told me that the component might have been crooked to start with. He's been going over my xrays from the 1st PKR and he feels that maybe the femural component might have not been lined up and that made the spacer shift and then when PT forced my knee, the force was too much. I asked him what he thought we should do about it? He told me that we would talk more Thursday when I go in to have the staples removed. Boy if it's not one thing it's something else. And on top of that, I had asked my OS to change my pain meds, the ones that he has given me just doesn't sit well on my stomach. I drove up to the pharmacy to have that man accuse me of being a pill seeker. Now what the hell!! I had a bottle of the hydrocodene that my daughter picked up for me on Friday in my purse. My OS had called in a script for Darvocet. Very weak, but enough to give me some relief when I need it. I can not take the hydrocodene. That man spoke to me in front of about 8 or 9 people and all but accused me of trying to obtain pain meds for illegal use. I stooped over and ripped the band-aide off of my incision and asked him if he had ever seen staples before? I told him that he had overstepped his boundaries. By that time I was near tears, my knee was beginning to throb and had dozens of eyes staring at me. Some lady handed me a large bandaide to put back on my knee and I called my OS. I told him what this pharmacist had done and again he blew up. In turn he called from his office while I was still standing there and tore a chunk out of this man's arse. I have no idea what he said but the pharmacist handed me the phone and my OS told me to leave that pharmacy and go to Walgreens, and my script would be ready when I got there. I handed the phone back to the pharmacist and turned around and walked out. Has anyone ever had a pharmacist go to these extremes? Why would that man do that to anyone? It never dawned on me that I would be accused of being a pill seeker. I just couldn't face anyone else and I came home. I called my husband and told him what had happened, he was not happy. He's going by Walgreens to pick up my script. We all have enough to contend with just trying to get back on our feet, trying to get back to as close to normal as possible and then someone like this jerk comes along and pushes everything we worked so hard to get accomplished back several weeks.  Thank you all for letting me rant, I feel like I live in a town full of dufus people. I just don't understand why he felt the need to embarrass me so badly in front of so many people. Take a while to get over this one.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Hi Angel,

I posted to you on the uni thread too.  I'm sorry you had to do this surgery twice - hopefully once will be enough for me!!!  I'm glad you are turning the corner and starting to heal and hope that this keeps up at a quick pace. 

That pharmacist should have had a new one chewed!!  I appreciate that they watch for interactions on drugs but beyond that it is really none of their business.  And you are right, if he had a question then he asks you privately not in front of everyone.  By the way if you really want to scare him this was a huge HIPAA violation (I work as a paramedic and HIPAA is all around).  I'm glad your OS was so responsive - sometimes the doctors do the right thing.

I'll be keeping up with you on both threads - like I said in the other post I will schedule for late August or early Sept. due to insurance changes at work.  I'm really trying not to worry to much about it until then but really not doing such a good job at it.  Like all of us here we just want to be done, get our lives back and move on to the next thing.  I know I'm not alone in that and this board has been great support.

I love the part about your husband - very funny.  Here is to wishing you pain and rain free days.

I'll check back soon.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »
I am so sorry that the pharmasist was such a jerk.  We had a problem similar happen to my husband.  He had his script stolen from our house while we were away for a weekend.  We had to wait for a police report before the doc would refill the scrip, then the phamasist refused to fill it.  The script that was stolen had just been filled a week prior to the break in.  It's so amazing what people who are not in any pain are thinking.  I'm glad your OS did what he did.  Chalk it up to a bad day and remember there are lots of us thinking about you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

support