Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee  (Read 47525 times)

kiddthekatt

Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
Hello All;
  I guess I'll start out with a short get to know me. My name is Angel( yes really, thanks to my Dad). I'm a 52 year old female, I have 3 grown children and 9 grandchildren, I'm raising the oldest who is 12 going on 30. My husband is a steel structual engineer and we live in the outskirts of Houston. I've suffered from RA and Osteo for more years than I care to count, and the osteo finally got the best of me. The medial compartment in my right knee started giving me problems several years ago and over time it got worse. On Thanksgiving day of 2006 I tripped going up my front steps and took the knee out. I was a Child Nutricianist with the school district at the time and continued to work up until the 2nd of Feb. 2007.
   I was getting ready to go to wprk at 5 am and my knee gave way, I fell and that was the end of my working days. I called my primary and he sent me directly to my OS( the very same day). After the initial xrays and blood work, and all the lengthy tests I was scheduled for surgery on the 22nd of March 2007. The first surgery was done outpatient and in less than 6 hours I was at home and felt really good, considering I had just gone through PKR. I started my PT on the 23rd. Pt went real smotth the first 3 weeks, I had gotten a ROM of 110 and overall felt better than I had in years, and then the PT tried to force my knee to get that extra 10 on the ROM. I felt the most horrible pain I had ever felt and heard a pop and crack and thought she had torn my leg off. My grandson heard it in the waiting room , scared him to death!!
   I started going down hill that very day. The pain had come back ten fold, had to start taking pain meds again, everytime I bent my knee there was pain and a pop. My OS was angry to say the least. I refused to go back to PT and he agreed, hoping that I had suffered no more than a sprain or bone bruise. The xrays looked funny and he kept me iced and elevated for the next 5 weeks. My OS xrayed again and the femur component was out of line. He told me that he was going to have to go in and explore. I cried like a baby.
   On May 17th 2007, I was again scheduled for outpatient surgery. I was again back home within 6 hours. He told my husband that the femur component had broken loose and was dropping everytime I stood up, hence the feeling of my knee falling off. He had to totally replace the full PKR and had to grind down the bone cement used on the previous surgery, and on top of that he had to grind away several bone spurs.
    This is Monday May 21, 2007 and I feel like a herd of elephants run me over. I've slept very little maybe 3 hours a night, and I've all but attached the CPM machine to my knee. My knee is the size of a large melon and bruised black and blue.
   I have a private PT coming to the house today, to evaluate not to start treatment.
   I can't eat, food makes me so sick, I do have a script to take to help with the nausea and it helps. I guess its a good thing, I could stand to lose 10 or so pounds.
   Anyway, that's the start to this long recovery. I'll let everyone know what my PT says today. Thank you all for this wonderful site, you've given me a place I can call my second home.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Angel's post op Diary, PKR 2nd time on same knee
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »
Well done Angel to see that you started a diary. Hope pain eases the nearest days.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »
Thank you Nettan for your encouragment. The PT just left and he was happy to see that I've gotten back 75% on my ROM. We're not going to start PT for at least 2 weeks. Thank Goodness. He wants me to be able to stand the touch of a hand before he begins my workout. I'm to stay elevated as much as possible, use the CPM machine as much and as long as possible and ice. I have a few exercises to work on my quad muscles, but he wants me to take it easy. The bruising is horrible, and the pain right now is an 8 going on 9. I just popped a pill, so I'll have some relief shortly. I have to be at my OS at 9:45am in the morning, I'll know more how things stand then. I do know one thing for certain, this second go round on the same knee is by far as bad as I was afraid it was going to be. I have such a low tolerance for pain, so thank goodness for pain meds.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
You are in middle of the worse now but that will only get better. Pleased to hear that PT was satisfied.
Tomorrow when you are going out take the pain pills in good time before you leave so pain is as controlled as can be.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
I read your post and just about cried.  I feel for you.  I don't know what else to say except I will keep you in my thoughts.  Hopefully the new PT will be much better.  Hope you feel better soon.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:30:51 PM »
hi angel!
(lovely name by the way!!)
its nice to see you have started a diary,im sure you will get lots of support from the wondeful people on this site.
after reading your diary i could cry for you too.
you have been through so much and i agree with nettan,things can only get better.
hang in there and remember we are all rooting for you!
take care and keep us posted how you are getting on.
claire
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

kiddthekatt

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
I finally fell asleep to wake up to the most frightening dreams. I'm sure the pain meds have a lot to do about that. I've never been a lover of spiders and there were thousands of them slowly crawling on my bed, and I couldn't get away from them. Talking about a nightmare!! Geez. Knee feels like it is going to explode, but I do remember that feeling from the first surgery. I've gone from my bedroom to the kitchen on 1 crutch wb on the hurt knee. Felt good to get up and off my paralyzed butt. But still no appetite, the smell of food turns my stomach. Oh well, that will come back. Time to get back on the CPM and let that torture device do it's job. I feel so much for all of you who have gone through numerous surgeries on the same knee. Bless your hearts.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
Thank you Shorty and TwoBadKnees. Something I know that maybe a lot of you guys might have experienced. I know my family loves me unconditionally, but I know also that they don't fully understand what we all go through. I think at times that they get tired of hearing me moan and groan. They would never say so, but I just get that feeling at times. So I try to back off and change the subject all the while tears are rolling down my face. And then the guilt comes back. I've always taken care of them and now I can barely  take care of myself.  Just hate that feeling.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 07:55:10 PM »
hey there!
let them look after you!
its their time now to run about after you!!
i understand what you mean about your family not fully understanding us with our knee pain,they can't really unless they live it 24/7 for weeks/months/years on end like us.
i used to have pretty weird dreams too while on the pain meds,that one you had sounds damn right scary though!!
god no wonder you have no appetite!!
you will get better! its so frustrating i know having to rely on people to do stuff for you (especially if you are usually the one to do stuff for everyone else!) but you need to give yourself the rest your body and your knee needs.
if i could have known how i would feel now after my op it would have helped me through those horrid dark days when i felt i would never get better.
keep posting how you feel when you are really down and we will help you through it!
take care
claire

kiddthekatt

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »
Thank you again Claire, it sure helps to have someone to chat with that does understand. How are you feeling now?

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »
hi there!!
im so much better now!! (well knee wise.......im full of the flu though!!!!)
im glad i had my Op done as it does seem to have given me some relief from my problems,i am still getting a few annoying little things happen like a catching sensation when i walk and have a sort of lump on the lateral side im going to ask about.
i see my O.S tomorrow (im just hoping i get to see him and not one of his understaudys as they do not seem to know much!!)
i had some pretty dArk days in the first few weeks of my recovery.
i had to keep my leg elevated and in a brace 24/07 for the first 6 weeks to allow the soft tissue to heal.
after the first 2 weeks i had to go to see the OS again to get the brace adjusted slightly i was achieving about 30 degrees rom and managing to PWB,and then nightmare,................i fell down the stairs (all 14 of them!!) when i saw the O.S at my six week check the week after the fall (the brace got set back to 10 degrees rom by the A&E after the fall)my rom was just 10 degrees.ive come on well as im now at between 120-125.
i still have very weak muscles as they have athropied badly but im doing light weights at the PT appointments now so am heading in the right direction!!

hope those dogs are behaving themselves and not being too bouncy around your poorly knee!?

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »
I finally fell asleep to wake up to the most frightening dreams. I'm sure the pain meds have a lot to do about that.

Yeah they can sure give you some crazy dreams alright!  Wish I could really remember them, maybe I could write a great horror movie and be famous.  ;D

Thank you Shorty and TwoBadKnees. Something I know that maybe a lot of you guys might have experienced. I know my family loves me unconditionally, but I know also that they don't fully understand what we all go through. I think at times that they get tired of hearing me moan and groan. They would never say so, but I just get that feeling at times. So I try to back off and change the subject all the while tears are rolling down my face. And then the guilt comes back. I've always taken care of them and now I can barely take care of myself. Just hate that feeling.

As far as family goes, my mom has recently had knee problems.  She amost cried when she told me that she could finally understand what I have been through.  She knew I was in pain, but didn't understand.  Too bad she had to have a knee injury to find out.  She's 72. 

Hang in there though.  The bad days seem so long don't they?

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

kiddthekatt

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 11:00:11 PM »
Oh Milly, Bless her heart! That really scares me to have to have surgery at that age. Instead of the 2nd surgery on the same knee, I had planned on having PKR on my left knee about this time, but since having this second surgery, I'm really reconsidering anymore surgery at all. unless it's absolutely nessecary. I just dont think I want to go through this all over again. I finally took another nap, no bad dreams this time ;D
   Take care everyone

kiddthekatt

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Good morning;
   Well, so far this has been a good morning, it's 5:46 am and I slept all night.YAY!! Except for the 2 trips to the bathroom of course. I had my CPM machine set at 87 all night, was very comfortable, will move it up more today after my return from my OS. My knee is beginning to feel a lot like it did before the PT episode. And that makes me very happy. I took a pain pill last night around 9 and it carried me through until 5 this morning. There is a little pain right now, but I'm waiting until I have my coffee and toast, and then it'll be time to start getting ready for my OS appointment. BUT, better than that, I had a shower last night. HEHEHE. Wrapped the leg in a plastic bag and taped it good, put that shower seat in and went to town. I swear it was better than chocolate cake, and thats hard to beat. I'll let everyone know how everything turns out at the OS this morning.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 03:22:32 PM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better.  I can certainly understand how pain can just drive you crazy.  Personally I think the first time you can take a REAL shower after surgery is the best!  You feel so much more human.  Good luck at your appointment.

I am waiting for a July surgery date.  (If I survive that long  ;).)  I'm hoping we have our pool finished so I can use it to "work out" after surgery.  I am not looking forward to surgery, but I would really like to ease the pain.  I really won't be a wreck until the date gets closer.

Anyway....Glad to hear positives.  (I still think I need a dream journal, I think I could give Wes Craven a run for his money.  I would have to remember the nightmare though.) 8)

Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt