Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Working though bad prognosis  (Read 4110 times)

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Working though bad prognosis
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:45:17 AM »
Hi all
I had car wrack on 3/16/07
I have TPF and PF + tibia shaft open fracture.
Day before my discharge after looking on my one week follow up x-ray senior resident told my that I will be lucky to walk with cane.  Translation, most likely I end up in wheelchair for the rest of my life.
They took immobilizer 6 weeks after surgery, and PT is coming along nicely.  But it is really hard to motivate myself to work hard knowing it all likely will not affect any thing. 

Inna
3/16/07
R-TPF+PF+tibial midshaft+ankle in car wrack
3/21/07IM nail, plate, wire
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
OS told me to loose crutches
8/8/07lost cane 100-5
OS said that i will never walk independemtly(not true)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Working though bad prognosis
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:07:42 AM »
Inna. don't give this up. There are so many good docs out there and so many new treatments and surgeries coming up every year.
I ended up in wheelchair after slipping on ice and destroying my left knee. After some problems in care I also have a spinal damage.
And now my other knee is on the down road. Why should you get stuck in wheelchair if only one leg is affected ?
Work hard and do your best, that is the only thing you can do. But never ever stop fighting. I have a illusion inside me about that I someday will walk again though I have used wheeler for 6 years.
Feel free contact me if there's anything I can help you with.
BIG HUGS NETTAN 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:57:19 PM »
Was the resident an orthopedic surgeon? If not you shouldn't be listening to him. In fact you probably shouldn't listen anyway. In such cases it's better to get a 2nd, 3rd and even 4th opinion. Human bodies can sustain a lot of damage and still keep going. Pretty amazing machine when you think about it. Broken bones heal. Sometimes it just takes time.

Offline scaredinpain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
I might suggest reading the book 90 minutes in Heaven.  If that guy could make it, anyone can!  Hang in there!

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
Hi Inna,

Don't give up.  Everyone here is right.  First you have to keep fighting - even when you think you can't fight any more.  Second, you need a more opinioins on a diagnosis like that.  Remember, that doctors are human and have the same flaws (like to talk and sound like they know more than they do) kind of flaws.  Don't take the word of one person who made a comment like that.  Be motivated enough to show him wrong!!  I know this is frightening but let that be a motivator too.

We're here anytime you need to vent, cry, laugh and just talk. 

Be well and lean on your support group and on others.  They may need your help someday.

Deborah

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »
You need to work hard.  My brother's best friend was in a motorcycle accident and his leg was badly injured.  The docs all said they needed to amputate.  He refused and they casted it and he went home.  He went from doc to doc and was told the same thing.  Finally he found a doc that said he would try to save his leg.  he went thru numerous surgeries and lots of hardware holding bone pieces together.  Today he does not even walk with a limp.  A few scars that has long since faded is all.  He was persistent and worked really hard at rehab. 

Find the best doctor that you can that see the outcome that you see.  Work with the people that support your wishes and work hard.  Maybe you will not come back normal but without hard work you will never know what you could achieve.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

redtoblack

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »
Please don't give up.  It's still very early and our bodies can do amazing things.  Don't let one Dr. get you down.  If one OS doesn't work for you, get another then another.  There WILL be someone out there who can help you.

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:58 AM »
Hi, thanks for support
The thing is that I managed to destroy my car and leg next door from one of better ortho centers.  Thet put it together and things was looking up.  They where talling me that everything will be ok.  Then 2 days before I was to be discharged they inform me about bad stuff. 
The good thing that it looks like I have a lot less nerve damage that they told me.  Other then to the skin, I pritty much have none.  My ROM i think is around 70, and i can sit few degrees short of normmal.
But still the stuff that they told me is messing with my head.
Inna
3/16/07
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
8/8/07lost cane 100-5

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:52:51 AM »
Inna, really it is one thing what the docs say and think and another thing is how things really turn out.
So instead of focus about what they have told you, which appearently wasn't any good news, focus on working on your leg and get that in best shape ever. A good phys or some rehab center where sports are involved could be a good start. Of course when you are allowed to do that.
Also a second, third or even fourth opinion is never wrong.
I remember when I got the news about my nerve damage in left knee and RSD. I just wanted to escape and say that is not my leg you are talking about. A half year later I were to a neurorehab center and that was the best thing ever happening. I stayed there for 6 weeks first time, were onky home for weekends and did some enormous steps forward.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:00:05 AM »
things got even worth
OS told me that I can do more things at PT, but PT keeps me doing only heal slides, becouse she said that she afraid to work with my leg.  I do not see how I can get much improvment that way.  I understand her position, improvment is not expected.  Still sucks.
3/16/07
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
8/8/07lost cane 100-5

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:54:09 AM »
Why not ask your phys contact your OS ?
Then you will get the best out of everything.And wether there is improvement or not, you can always get stronger muscles.

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »
she does nothing for my muscles ony active assisted, and OS is on vication
3/16/07
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
8/8/07lost cane 100-5

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 05:34:33 AM »
if your Pt wont talk to your OS when he/she returns from vacation,,,,FIND ANOTHER ONE. if your Pt does talk to your OS but still wont help you,,,FIND ANOTHER ONE. there are lots of Pts out there and you may not have found the best one for you yet.  it is so important that you keep fighting. the doctors cannot tell you FOR SURE what is going to happen with your leg, and if you work very hard and try to stay positive, you can possibly make more progress than they ever imagined. please remember that they call it 'practicing' medicine for a reason,,,, they are always  learning.

I also was wondering the same thing as Nettan, why would you be in a wheelchair if you only injured one leg? is it not possible to use crutches ? you are still in the VERY early days after your accident, just keep fighting and working. if depression starts to set in, see your GP or PCP about an antidepressant. a large part of the battle is mental.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »
thanks
I do use crutches
My OS contradicted himself alot durring last appointment.  It was totaly confusing.
He told me that that i definetly will no be able to walk without a cane, but then would not give me permanent disable parking.  When I asked him about driving he told me that he will let me drive when I can walk independently.  It just confusing.

The good news turns out my PT just does not belive in pushing hard, she says i will be alot better to wait till ligaments totaly heal.
I can not change OS or PT becouse of workers comp
3/16/07
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
8/8/07lost cane 100-5

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 01:30:37 AM »
hi, i stopped my cane few days ago, was dragging it aroud am leaving it it places more than using it.  I went from crutches to cane about a week and a half ago.
So looks like that doctor was wrong
3/16/07
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
8/8/07lost cane 100-5