Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Care S  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Care S
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »
Hi all,
has anybody heard of the Care S technique recently described in the Daily Mail. Apparently it's a system of growing new cartillage from your own cells which only takes two weeks to grow, and the grafts are 3d as opposed to 2D of old. Therefore, the graft fits the defect without gaps, and can be glued into place rather than stitched. Apparently there are trials in Britain but this has been used in other countries for some time. Anyone got any other info. Ive tried googling Care S but cant get the right hits.
X Judey
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Care S
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:10:32 AM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:59:58 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »
I'm in the US and I'm part of the clinical trial over here.  I've got a thread in the A.C.I. section of this board.  Also, Gammyknee was the one in the article to which I think you are referring and she has a thread as well in the same section.  She's about two weeks ahead of me surgery wise.  We can answer any questions you have as far as we know, although we're relatively new to this.  (I'm just 10 days post op my second surgery.)

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »
Thank you Kalyjo and Shade. Ive followed those threads. Very interesting and hopeful. I wonder if this is suitable for patella defects. I will try and find out which uk orthos are trained in this method. Mine certainly isn't.
Thanks again Judey
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:15:41 AM »
INteresting...does anyone know of any studies on the patella?

So many newer options out there yet so many doctors are clueless as to them......truly amazing and very sad!

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 03:29:57 AM »
Hi How do you become part of a  trial??

S_501

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:49:54 AM »
Kristi,
same here!
how do we get in touch with the people who performed your surgery or, like Stacye said, how do we become part of this clinical trial?
I checked Shade's article about the Cleveland clinic....am I understanding this correctly? are these doctors in Cleveland performing your op?
THNKS

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
From what I understand, I was part of phase 1 of the trial which included 10 people.  I'm not exactly sure what they do from here.  The study coordinator told me way back when that there would be a phase 2 of this trial which would open up the procedure for more people in more locations but I'm not exactly sure when that will be.  I know for me, I'm committed for 3 years to continue to see my OS for followups and to complete paperwork for the trial.   And yes, I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. I haven't quite decided if this was a good or bad idea.  I'm almost 13 weeks out and still having some pain.  I see my OS today so I will see what he has to say about my progress. 

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

S_501

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »
Talked to my surgeon, Dr. Bugbee about Care S.
He says, quote" it's one of many experimental cartilage restoration procedures, not unique or special and not suitable for (me) with (my) severe arthritis".

Meaning: although I don't know yet how big my lesions are, I know I have arthritis down to the subchondral bone and the allograft is approximately 2mm of bone plus cartilage on top.
So...you people draw your conclusions beased on how bad your defect is.

Saida

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:29:57 AM »
Hi I meet with Dr Bugbee tomorrow for a consultation do you like him??

S_501

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 06:39:28 AM »
Bugbee rules man.

Saida

Offline Stacye

• Regular Poster
  • a
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 04:04:28 AM »
He was great but cant help me Im so sad  :(