Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: bone-on-bone, are ankle-weights good or bad?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
bone-on-bone, are ankle-weights good or bad?
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:48:53 AM »
I've been reading (and hearing from hubby's ex-coworker) that excersize before a TKR is very important to it's success. So I'm being a good little girl and going back to the dumb excersizes I had stopped doing in order to strengthen things up (and I've noticed with the arthritis, I feel less 'crippled' if I do them). I'm doing quad sets, ham sets (isometrics), straight leg lifts and 90d extensions - just once a day, set of 10 reps.

Yesterday I borrowed some ankle weights (only 2lb) and tried with that, seemed pretty good. Now, I don't remember whether I did the excersizes twice, or whether I did them with 4lbs or just the proper 2 lbs, but OMG I hurt so much by the time I went to bed I could barely sleep! and they've been killing me all day still. Hubby is mixing up the alcohol-icepack recipe for me.

While I"m sure I probably should do the excersizes, should I not use the weights? 2lbs really isn't that much and it didn't seem to be a problem at the time...

-Judy (ow)
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: bone-on-bone, are ankle-weights good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:34:42 PM »
It sounds like the weights are too much for you and your body is telling you it by the pain. 
Swimming or walking around in a pool  is very good prior to a TKR. Your working muscles differently in a pool and may strengthen up better prior to surgery.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
Leave the weights off !!

Those quads are the most important!

good luck

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:27:05 AM »
Ok, thanks Wiki & Anja. I'll leave the weights off then and just keep doing the excersizes bare. I wish I could use a pool, but I don't have access to one - well, there IS a community pool but there are ..complications.. that I haven't quite worked out.

When I stopped PT last March (post meniscetomy), they had me doing 4lbs on extensions - and were about to up me to 6lbs- and 2lbs (I think) on striaght leg lifts and were about to up those. I didn't really have any trouble lifting either, but all the work had me in so much pain I couldn't even step up a curb, and had to take a course of prednisone to get a little pain relief. I stopped the PT (they kept telling me that if I had pain, I needed more PT).

I'll leave the weights to hubby then, he's having fun doing my excersizes - except he can't understand how to tense just the quad muscles!   :D

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR