Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cartilage grafts - Medical Breakthrough?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline ChrisM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Cartilage grafts - Medical Breakthrough?
« on: February 13, 2003, 08:12:39 PM »
First time for me on this site, but I am interested in any  leading edge technology available for my ailing knee... I have heard that some researchers are experimenting with cartalidge grafts for knees with degenerative arthritis. Does anybody know about this???

Chris M.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 10:20:44 PM by liga_mod »

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Medical Breakthrough?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »
You don't give us any clues as to what is ailing your knee, so can't be of much help. Look in the arthritis section for discussions of cartilege replacement. You can also find a TON of information just by reading posts in that area.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 06:17:19 PM »
Hi there,
look in the medical abreviations section on the main page and go to ACI, this wil tell you a bit about cartidge grafts, or what they are called anyway.
A girl I kmow's husband has had it done. They take a bit of your cartlidge and put it in a dish thing and grow the cells and re implant you with it and then it can grow neww cartlidge. I havent had it done but it sounds good.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 11:16:52 PM »
This section of the main site should help you get started with your research:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_06_arthritis/step_06_tackling.html

KNEEguru
--