Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteochondral allograft  (Read 2754 times)

Offline kellyg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteochondral allograft
« on: January 13, 2003, 09:35:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long the normal wait for a graft to become available is.  I have been waiting about 6 months.  Does anyone have experience with this procedure.   I have had carticel procedure and this did not work.  The Os says this is the next/last option.
Thank you
Jane

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
Re: Osteochondral allograft
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 11:12:13 PM »
Hi!
I had an oats procedure done in September of last year.  It was an autograft, so I didn't have any wait. The operation has been, so far, a complete success and I would be glad to give you any tips, etc that you may want about the procedure itself.  I am sorry that you have to wait so long for an allograft, sorry too, that the carticel didn't work.
Good luck
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 06:42:36 PM »
Kellyg,
I am curious about your decision to move forward with this procedure.  I have a fairly significant amount of articular cartilage damage in my left knee.  I had a LR, menisectomy, and cartilage debridement in August.  The surgeon was quite surprised by the amount of damage.  I have grade IV damage (read "arthritis") in three compartments.  Initially, the PA who works for the surgeon said that I would eventually need a knee replacement; however, on a subsequent visit to my OS, he said that he recommends a mosaicplasty (OATS) with an allograft.  However, he felt that since I recovered so incredibly well from my surgery that I should wait.  I do have problems and like most people with arthritis, I can go 2 months with no problems, then all of a sudden, I have problems - swelling, pain, etc.  However, I can usually work through this.  So my question to you is, what made you finally decide to go forward?  What was your diagnosis and how functional are you? Since you looking at an allograft versus autograft, what type of pre-op work did they do (i.e. x-rays, MRIs)?
Thanks...Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 02:02:03 AM »
Do you know how big and were exactly your defect is?  Is this a patellar defect? I was never aware that you needed to wait for an allograft to become available.  Does anyone know the rejection rate for these?  One more thing if you don't mind me asking- why did your doctor decide to do the carticel (first), instead of the autograft?  

~Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

support