Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Study Help :D  (Read 670 times)

Offline CovOne

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Study Help :D
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »
As mentioned previously i suffered quite a severe knee injury, i am doing a sport therapy degree and one of my assignments is to study the mechanism of an injury and its historical and modern treatment, i am doing the Post Cruc Lig as its relevant to me but i am struggling to find its historical treatment in any more detail then it was put in a cylinder cast/brace etc, anybody have any experience of treatment or know any links to some good information ?
any help would be greatly appreciated
March 24th 07 Surgery to:
Lateral Collateral Ligament Complex is Disrupted
PCL Complete Rupture
Radial Tear in the Posterior Horn of the Medial Meniscus
Horizontal Tear in Lateral Meniscus
Rupture of the Posterolateral Corner of the Capsule

26/02/2008
PLC & PCL Recon using Bi-lateral Hamstring Graf

Offline del

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Study Help :D
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »
hi im not sure if this is any help to you but here it goes:

Brain Clough former professional footballer: injury sustained 26/12/62(cruciate ligament) which ended his playing career.

Paul Gascoigne former professional footballer :injury sustained  18/5/91 (cruciate ligament) open surgery on his right knee 7" scar recoverd after 1 year to continue a successfull career

Ruud Van Nistelrooy professional footballer 9/3/00 cruciate ligament injury, arthroscopy repair and again had a successfull recovery and retured after 1 year

please see link for todays treatment of cruciate injuries,it not much but i hope it helps youhttp://www.stoneclinic.com/aclrep.htm
 thanks

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »
I tore my ACL in half in 1973. Back then they didn't have scopes, MRIs or fancy ACL rebuilding techniques. Since it was stuck in my joint which prevented me from straightening my knee, the surgeon went in and just removed the ACL altogether. I have two long incisions on both sides of my knee because he thought I had a torn meniscus. All I had was an ACE bandage and crutches, no brace or cast. I was in the hospital for four days. Within 6 months I had torn my meniscus and thus ended my athletic career. You can't play sports without an ACL as it turns out.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »
You picked a hard subject.  I think you are going to find it difficult to find information relating exclusively to the PCL since, even by today's standards, is relatively hard to diagnose.  From what I understand, generally it would require an open surgery and extensive time in a cast afterward.  Of course after being in the cast major arthrofibrosis would have set in making ROM quite difficult or even impossible.  Thus it often required more than one surgery, one for the repair, and a manupulation later.

You may be better off expanding your subject area to the cruciate ligaments in general.  You may also want to interview an older orthopedic surgeon, they would be the best source for the information you are looking for.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

support