Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc vs. Steroid Injections  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Synvisc vs. Steroid Injections
« on: February 13, 2003, 04:07:30 PM »
Here is a link to an interesting Medscape article comparing the effectiveness of Synvisc to Corticosteroid injections. It was published from the 70th annual meeting of the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons).

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/449092

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Synvisc vs. Steroid Injections
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 03:11:11 AM »
Hi!

Since I've been the recipient of both types of treatments, tht was of particular interest to me.  I am curious why neither seems to be terribly effective for women, hmmm...Personally, I had several months of relief from SynVisc and I have had cortisone injections that helped none, some, and lots.  I've decided that the whole thing is a crap shoot.

Actually, it kind of goes to support my thinking that treating knees is not an exact science, but an art.  We seem to get to be guinea pigs way too much as well.

In any case, thanks for sharing!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support