Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mosaicplasty - Q for Kneeguru  (Read 1873 times)

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Mosaicplasty - Q for Kneeguru
« on: February 18, 2003, 08:04:18 PM »
I have a quick question.  During this procedure, what do they do with the patella?  I am having the trochlea area, both medial and lateral, and the medial and a small spot on the lateral condyle grafted.  Do they simply "dislocate" the patella so it is out of the way or do they actually "disconnect" the petalla through some cut and repair it when done?  I have seen plenty of pictures, but I cannot tell what they do.

Thanks...JG
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Mosaicplasty - Q for Kneeguru
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 01:09:21 AM »
The procedure can be done 'open' where a cut is made vertically alongside the patella, and the patella flicked over and out the way (like opening a pot lid and laying it upside down on the table so it doesn't drip). Or it can be done 'arthroscopically' (via keyhole surgery, which is harder to do but less uncomfortable for the patient. Here is a nice link, although it doesn't show the incision (cut):
http://www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpusmaitri/orthopaedic/mo76_mosaicplasty/index.shtml
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

support