Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new and scared  (Read 588 times)

Offline mrs_lady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new and scared
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
Hi, I just joined, this is my first post.  Hereīs the story, am extremely knock kneed, has been getting worse over the years and have been putting things off.  I am 63 and have never had a hospital stay in my whole life, never so am very nervous to even
think about knee replacement but am pretty much at the end of what I can endure.  Am now in such pain cannot walk more than a couple blocks max.  My husband died so am alone.  I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor and the building has NO ELEVATOR. 
    If I go for knee replacement think I have somebody who can stay with me for the initial recoup and thereīs a physical therapist that does house calls. 
    Would anybody out there give me an idea of how long you think it would take before I could go up and down the stairs?  I have a business to run, luckily itīs on the ground floor of my apartment building, would have to make at least one trip up and down a day.  I have never turned control over completely to my right hand guy.  I tend to want to be in control, the thought of being put out, leaving the business in his hands and turning my body over to the doctor is terrifying.  If my husband was still here it wouldnīt be so bad.  But I canīt go on like this, I have to do it and Iīm so scared.
    Iīm in Venezuela.  The orthopedic surgeon does speak English, thank God and only does knees.  Please somebody give me some encouragement.  Thanks, mrs_lady 

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: new and scared
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »
Ms lady,
I think everyone is different on how they recoup. I know my dad did very well. He stayed in the hospital for 5 days and then was sent home. My mom stayed home from work for 1 day and he PUSHED her out the door...lol. We all checked on him at least once a day and I know he had pt visit for the 1st 2weeks and a nusrse came for the first week.
Good Luck and I hope all is well and you are climbing your stairs in no time.

lady
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008