Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Glinda's Post-Op TTT 5-7-07  (Read 29161 times)

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Glinda's Post-Op TTT 5-7-07
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2007, 09:45:19 PM »
Anytime Saul  ;).....

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2007, 03:30:32 AM »
Not much to update on regarding this stubborn knee -  I continue to do daily strengthening exercises hoping that this left leg will eventually be the same size as the right leg again.  It is amazing how fast the muscle atrophies.  I am going to PT once a week and usually leave there in extreme pain and very close to tears.  I refuse to cry in front of my physical therapist because he is a very close friend of mine and I would never hear the end of it.  Ha Ha.....   ::)  Seriously ... I do have a great pt that has taken the time to explain the surgery beforehand and is now taking the time to make sure I am building muscle back up properly and that I am actually doing the work at home in order to make progress.  Gotta love it. 

I can tell that I have progressed a lot just in the last few weeks and that my family have begun to grow impatient with my recovery.  Life is no longer slow paced around our  household and if I cannot keep up they are just doing things without me --- not really something that I like very much so I find myself really pushing to keep up and finding doing pretty well most of the times.  There are days that by the end of the day i just need to find the bed.  So, life is beginning to get back to normal around here - which is a good sign.   ;D

I hope all is good with everyone else.
Take Care.
Glinda

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2007, 01:04:09 AM »
hi Glinda,
I just wanted to encourage you (hopefully) by reminding you that your sugery is still very recent, and it takes months and months to
rehab from a Fulkerson. It is major surgery. I am going on 7 months after my 2nd Fulkerson, and only now am feeling like I'm regaining
my strength. It's a long and gradual process. So hang in there, and keep plugging away. I know how frustrating it can be when a
family seems to be impatient with your progress. It's so important to keep in mind that this is YOUR recovery, and you are the only
one that knows what you're going through and what is best for you. Sometimes you just have to internally validate yourself, and
tune out everyone else. You WILL regain your strength,  it just takes a long time, and you have to be careful to not overdo
which will only set your recovery back!

Good luck, and hang in there...

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2007, 02:28:27 AM »
Thank you Tangerine - I so needed that right now.  I think right now my family sees that my leg has healed from the outside so I should be up and running.  NOT!  And I have to admit a part of their impatience has to do with my stubborn nature to just force myself to do things even when I know I shouldn't.  I am trying very hard to work on that.  I appreciate your encouragement and advise.  Thanks.  It always helps to hear from others who have been there and can give a clean perspective on things to put me back on track.

Glinda

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:29 AM »
Hey there Glinda,

I've barely been on lately, so I have a bit to catch up on, but I actually have a little free time to hop online and see what's been going on.  I feel for you right now - I think that mentally the point where you're was one of the hardest for me.  I obviously had very different surgeries and different recoveries, but I think in general this period of time is very tough, and requires incredible patience (I'm reminding myself of this as much as you or anyone else).  It's awfully tempting to just try and jump back into your "normal" life once you're barely at the point when you can manage it.  It's hard enough to figure out what your own limitations are, and it's even harder for others to see this.  There's no official timeline for this portion of the recovery, so there's not exactly a date you can aim for to be completely better.  I always, and still do, find that frustrating.  I want to know that in 3 weeks (or whenever) I will be pain free, or in 4 weeks I will be able to go for a long hike, or whatever...but unfortunately that's not the way life works.  So, we can both remind each other that with a little patience and perserverance, each day we will get a little stronger and tomorrow we will be just that much better than yesterday.

That being said....hang in there girl!!!  It's so great that you have a good PT that can help you get through the recovery - I, too, am good friends with my PT and I think that helps so much!  (I guess one of the benefits of so many surgeries - you get a good friend out of the deal!)

How are you doing otherwise?  How are the kittens doing?

Sending hugs your way...
Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline krissie

• Forum Faithful
  • Hockey is life
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »
Hey Glinda - just wanted to pop in and let you know that I miss you and I'm sorry for being so MIA for awhile!  I'm sorry to hear that all is not going according to "your plan" but then we're really not in control of all of this, are we?? ;) ;) ;)

I'm right there with you - remember I'm a month ahead of you in this little recovery game and until now, although I've definitely had my times of extremem impatience, have not felt like I was at a roadblock that I couldn't get over "some how".  That being said, I've now reached that point and am, too, like you a little bit (no, a lot a bit!) frustrated and even scared.  When I saw my PT conferring with a bunch of other PTs and they all turned and looked at me, I knew I was in a bit of trouble.  For now, I'm being told that "the plan" is for me to build up my quad even more than I already have by now (I thought I'd made so much progress) and only after that, if the problem persists, will my PT raise the red flags - still, things are not good and she was very honest with me that she's concerned.  The PT who partners with mine told me that his experience is that I have to be 6 mos out from the surgery before we can really start considering "issues" as problems.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tangerine is right - this process is LONG, much longer than we've wanted to realize or accept, and our muscles must get back to where they were, at a minimum, before we can expect our abilities to match our expectations. 

I'm sorry things have got you down - don't try to keep up with life just "because" - your #1 main job right now is to RECOVER, before all else, and if that means you're limited in some things for awhile, everyone else is just going to have to deal with it.  If they don't like it, tell them to hire someone to take your place - that'll shut 'em up!  ;D

miss you - K

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2007, 10:27:19 PM »
Krissie.  I'm sorry you are having probliems!  I know the feeling of being frustrated.  My PT is pretty much on hold, or at least at a min, until several issues are resolved.  So lets have a "I'm Frustrated..I want my life back" Party.  We will be over once the kitchen is done!  HeHe  ;D

We miss you!
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »
Thank you Thank you Thank you to Tangarine, Sarah, Krissie, Karen and of course my die hard chatroom buddies for the constant support.  I must say that right now I am really struggling.  It has hit me like a ton of bricks and I did not expect it.  What is up with that?  A lot of it is the outside expectations of family needs, the fact that I have to get a job NOW - like as soon as I get back from vacation in mid-August, one day my knee fakes that it is it's old self so that I get all happy about it and try to do too much and then I pay for it (you all know what I mean  :o), and then there are the pressures of trying to be supermom - superwife - best-friend and all of those hats that I was pretty good at juggling before but for some reason now I keep dropping a hat here and there. 

Sooooooo - not that I am glad to hear that you are all feeling the same as I am but it does make me feel a little better that you are in my boat with me and that we can share a life jacket while we sail away into the sunset together.  Enjoy the sunset cruise - I'll be your captain for the day but we are taking turns because tomorrow I am drinking the fruity drinks with umbrellas..... so enjoy your today.   :D

I THANK YOU ALL - I SO NEEDED THE BOOST TODAY! 
TAKE CARE.
GLINDA

Offline krissie

• Forum Faithful
  • Hockey is life
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »
Hey everyone!  Was just told by my PT that "hey, don't get down, we'll have a good idea in another 8-12 months what your true limitations will be." - Ummm, yeah, a year?  And, uh, limitations?  Even though it was painful, I could walk stairs, skate, hike, go up and down hills, sit comfortably in a car, sit at the dinner table, etc. BEFORE surgery.  So, um, not being able to do any of those things AT ALL let alone for another 8-12 months and possibly longer is not acceptable from anyone's perspective.  DUH.

Since we could all use a little giggle - Let me tell you all a funny story: So, I've got this construction going on, and when I got home from PT the other day I heard really, really loud machinery coming from my back yard - I thought to myself, there's no way this is in or around my house, it sounds like a darn bulldozer.  So I walked into our back yard and up a VERY LITTLE slope (we're talking a 24" rise) into the woods.  There I find that some neighbors are doing some tree work, suspiciously a little too close to our property line - since I like the trees 'cuz they give me a sense of privacy, I'm not so pleased about this.  SO, I decide I'll go inside, call the neighbor nicely and see what's up.  Well, I turn to head back to my house and guess what, I can't get down the G-- DA-- SLOPE - no, instead, I take one step and my knee starts to give out - I guess going "down" something was not in my playbook....!  SO, I have this wave of panic come over me like, "oh crap, I'm stuck!" and I stood there for what felt like a few minutes looking around like I was going to need someone to come get me until finally my rational mind kicked in and told me that I had to side step my way down this pathetically intimidating, gradual 2 foot slope.  I have a feeling my carpenter saw all this and had a good chuckle.  Needless to say, I forgot to call the neighbor and just went inside to have a pity party.  Isn't it so much FUN to find ourselves faced with such minor little hurdles and get feel slapped in the face by our knee?  I swear the ups and downs of all this (no pun intended) are going to drive me insane....

Can I tell you that I plan on using my good leg to kick my OS's ass next week at my appt?  Hey, maybe that's what we should do at our party ... hang some effiges of our OS's and kick their asses....sound good?

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »
Krissie -  Oh you poor thing - how frustrating to hear that type of timeframe.  What are they thinking - we just do not have that kind of patience or time?  I know it sucks and I am right there with you.  You have made awesome progress and you had so much work done on your knee that I am constantly amazed at how well you are doing.  I am hoping that what your PT was trying to say to you was that there is a window of another 8 to 12 months that they are looking at that you can still show signs of improvement and that you should not give up.  I think he worded it all wrong - to focus on limitations when he is in the business of rehabilitation just is not wise.  He really should be pointing out what you have achieved and that you  have the ability to continue achieving as long as you continue believing in yourself.  Do not allow his miswording to get you down.  You are a tough cookie - keep your chin up.
Take Care.
Glinda

Offline krissie

• Forum Faithful
  • Hockey is life
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
Glinda - Thank you!  I'd love to believe that is what she was meaning to say ... you might be right.  I will say, however, that both she and my AT (athletic trainer - they work together on me) are having trouble disguising their concern the past couple of sessions.  She echoed your thoughts today and said, "Listen, given what you had done and how trashed your knee was, you're miles ahead of where many people would be in your shoes.  Still, to believe that you're not going to be faced with some limits after all the work done in there is probably naive."  I guess I was just doing a really good job at making myself believe that this bundle of surgeries was the cure-all and maybe that's unrealistic.  Still, the feisty side of me is still planning on kicking my OS's rear and informing him that "no limits" is the only thing I'll accept.   >:(

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2007, 04:30:42 PM »
Krissie - You go girl!!!!

That is what I like to hear.

Glinda

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2007, 01:51:44 AM »
Hi ladies, it has been too long !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not been up to much positive stuff these days. I read the post from Tangerine and have to say that what she said was something that I also need to hear. I think that was probably one of the best things I have heard on the public side of the chat board. I have gotten everyones PM and thank you. I think I am on the way back to the real world as things at home seem to be taking a turn in a positive direction. My knee still hurts and therapy still sucks !!!!!!!! But the leg ad stuff are progressing, but as much as I would have hoped for and that is why the post from Tangerine caught my eye.

Tangerine,

I would like to hear more about your recoop

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you !!!

Saul
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2007, 02:47:54 AM »
Saul - so good to hear from you!  I agree that Tangarine hit it right on the mark - I was feeling very pushed by my family that just is not getting it at this point and I have become very impatient in the pt and this phase of rehab.  I forget that this is only mid-way in the process even though when I look at the incision it looks okay and even though I am not wearing a brace the knee still screams when I do too much.  I just need to remember, as do we all, that in the end patience will pay off.  In the meantime when I forget that I may need to be reminded so thank you Tangarine for being the one this time.

How are you Saul????? 8)

Glinda

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »
Hi All,
I'm glad my comments were encouraging! I remember how much this site meant to me while I was recovering.
Saul, you can find both of my diaries by using the "Search" feature above. If you type in "Tangerine's Fulkerson"
you'll get to my first diary from '05, and  if you type in "Tangerine's Second TTT" you'll get to my second
diary from '06.

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee