Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Glinda's Post-Op TTT 5-7-07  (Read 29162 times)

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Glinda's Post-Op TTT 5-7-07
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
I told myself that I probably would not do a post-op diary but as I sit here, bored to death, I have decided that the information that I have found on the different sites actually helped me to make some pretty informed decisions and to ask the right questions when preparing for my surgery.   So,  I've decided what do I have to lose????

I am 38 years old, married, and I have four children ( three daughters and one son) my daughters ages are 19, 17, 17, and my son is 5.  Yes, I have twins and there is quite a gap between the twins and the 5 year old.  We adopted our son from Colombia when he was 9 months old.  We have a four year old golden retriever and a thirteen year old cat.

My knee history is: 2005 left knee meniscus repair

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
Re: Glinda's Post-Op TTT 5-7-07
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:10:49 PM »
Well I was in the middle of putting my knee  history and pushed the wrong button sorry...

Knee History:  March 2005 Left Knee Meniscus Repair
                    June 2005 Left Knee Lateral Release
                    September 2005 Right Knee Lateral Release
                    February5, 2007 Left Knee Meniscus Repair
                    May 7, 2007  Left Knee Fulkerson Tibial Osteotomy

My surgery was this past Monday and went very well.  The anesthesiologist and I discussed what was the safest and what would help with the pain after the surgery regarding anesthesia.  I am normally one that wants general so that I don't know anything that is going on but with this surgery I was very concerned with pain management.  Both the OS and anesthesiologist agreed that the spinal block is safest and with versed and fentinal I wouldn't be aware of what was going on.  I asked about pain management and was told that there were two different kinds of blocks - one is a 24 hour block done on the fermoral nerve and the other is done using the ON-Q medicine ball that attaches to the fermoral nerve and numbs the quads and knee area.  I chose the ON-Q med ball and have had complete control of the amount of medicine - I have had it on very low yet it has been very effective in controlling my pain.  It has lessened the need to use as much of the vicodin for pain.  The drawback, however, is that is does numb the quad so I am having a hard time doing the quad exercises.  It also is only for two days so it will be taken out tomorrow - originally I was told that I could keep it in for up to 4 to 5 days if there is medicine left but the Dr. just called and said it needs to come out so that the quads start kicking in.  I'm sure that is a good plan.

So, I am two days post-op and even though I have this block I can tell that I am having more pain within the knee itself.  I am definately feeling some pain that I did not feel yesterday.  I'm really anxious/nervous about what this is going to feel like when this medicine ball is taken out and I have nothing but the regular pain meds to rely on.  I also start physical therapy on Friday - so I have a lot to think about sitting here.  I am currently nwb and 0 rom.  I am assuming that this may change after I go to physical therapy.

It is really interesting to read how each persons road to recovery is different.

On a lighter side of things I am finding some humor in not being able to do everything for everybody in this house.  In the days leading up to surgery I found myself getting really tense and trying to get everything done in order to make "things" as easy on my husband and kids as possible.  I am a bit obsessed about keeping the house clean and keeping laundry done, etc.  So, as I hobble to the bathroom biting my tongue so as not to start spouting out orders like a drill sargeant I am reminded that the house will not fall apart just because they have chosen to play "Jenga" with the trash.

This is a true test of patience....
Glinda

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »
Hi Glinda. Glad you decided to do a post op diary. And glad your surgery went well. Ive never had a TTT, but am facing a TKR, probably in June. Had appt. scheduled for tomorrow so that I could schedule the surgery, but OS had family emergency, so I get to wait another week. Oh well. :-\

I am already trying to get things done around the house in anticipation of the upcoming surgery. So I know exactly how you felt in that respect. I have 3 teenage daughters...20,17,15. The oldest lives with dad, but my sig others daughter, who is 16 lives with us. So have 17, 16, 15 in the house now. YIKES. All girls....It helps that Rick is a clean freak like me, so will keep them and the house in line when I am laid up.

Ive beenon the board since Jan. 05, so if you want to read about more of my knee stuff, click on my name and will give you the opportunity to bring up all my posts.

Ive heard alot of good things about the ON Q. Do you have to have a spinal to get that? Or can you have general and still get it? Not sure if they will do it with a TKR, as they like to get  you up and moving immediately.

I know what you mean about getting bored. Im not s sit around person myself. Rick is getting me a laptop, so Ill be here alot, I am sure.

Please write back. I need to run now, but will check later.

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
Hey Donna, I know that they were willing to use the ON-Q with general if I had chosen that option.  I don't know if it is an option with tkr though since they do want you to be up and about right away.  You should definitely check into it - maybe they could put it on the lowest amount of medicine.  Should your OS only want you to use the lowest setting he/she could have the anesthesiologist lock that setting so that it cannot be changed.  I hope this helps.

It's a bummer that your appointment had to be moved - I guess those things happen but it doesn't help the nerves, does it?  Keep me posted, I'll be thinking of you.  Good Luck.

Glinda

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:31:32 AM »
Hi Glinda,  Glad to hear you are hanging in OK. The house will not fall apart - Once your girls/husband run out of clean dishes or cloths they will figure out that things do not magically get done - HA HA!!. Only kidding, I'm sure they are being very helpful. Remember to keep up with the pain meds - it will help when the on-q is taken away. 

Donna - My OS does use the On-Q with both a general and a TKR.  He ueses the On-q with all major open surgery as he finds it most helpful the first few days of recovery.  Mine was a god sent.

Have a nice night everyone - I'm off to bed!
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline skichick70

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:20:27 AM »
Hi Glinda,  I'm glad you started a diary!  I wasn't going to do one either, but then I realized it's fun once you start, and you get to meet lots of cool people who you share something in common!  I'm talking about owning dogs of course, but now that I think about it, we all have knee problems too.  What a coincidence!  ;D

So enjoy being waited on while you can.  Although right now you're probably so uncomfortable it's hard to enjoy anything.  :(

Bad Ski Accident 3/96-LK Dislocation
LK scope 4/96
RK scope 3/99
Thanksgiving Day Football Game gone bad 11/99 LK Dislocation
LK Scope 12/99
LK Scope & LR 3/03
RK Scope, LR & IT Band Release 6/03
LK Scope, 5/06
LK  Scope, LR & TTT, 5/9/07

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:43:15 AM »
Glinda and Karen...Thanks so much for the helpful info. I will be sure to ask about it when I finally get to go for my appt. now, not next week either, but the week after...the 24th....

Thanks so much.
DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »
Ackkkkkk - if only I could sleep.   I am lucky to get two hours of sleep without waking up.  I think right now my biggest problem is swelling even though I am on constant ice and elevation.  The only time I get up is to go to the bathroom.  The other thing keeping me from sleeping is the imobilizer - I am used to sleeping on my side in the fetal position. If Anyone has any suggestions for sleep please pass them on.  I'm beginning to feel very sleep deprived and cranky.   I'm not having a lot of pain yet because I still have the ON-Q medicine ball ( I am removing it today at lunchtime) so I am sure I will begin having REAL PAIN. I am trying to prepare myself by starting to take my oral pain medicine every 4 hours today. 

Yes, I know they will catch on that to get clean clothes they do have to wash them - ha ha!!! They are actually doing a pretty good job - I haven't been upstairs or downstairs since surgery and I don't plan on going there anytime soon - so whether the laundry is actually being done or not is really a mystery.  I do know the dishes are being done since I see the kitchen each time I make my hike to the bathroom - so they are keeping up with that part of the chores.  It is all kind of funny to see how they do things versus how I think things have to be done.  In the end they do get done - just not my way.  It's all good.  ;D

Our dog, Atticus, has been checking up on me regularly throughout each day since my surgery - he comes up and just lays his head in my lap and looks up at me.  I don't know what I would do without my pooch.  Karen - I love Foster's smile.  I let my little boy see his picture - he thought it was really cute.

It is good to hear that the ON-Q will be able to be used for your surgery if your anesthesiologist does that Donna.  I will keep my fingers crossed for your appt. on the 24th.

Rachel, I am anxious to hear how your surgery went.  I will check your diary.  Hope you are doing well.

Well we are going to watch Charlotte's Web with my 5 year old son.  That should take up a couple hours of this longgggggg day.   I am so not used to just sitting still. 

If anyone has any advise on sleep and swelling please pass it on.

take care.
Glinda

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »
Hey Glinda

I'm so glad you have started a diary too.  It does help pass the time, and helps other s who will be going thru the same things later.  I probably read every TTT diary at this site.

I'm really going to ask about the On-Q thing if I ever get my surgery.

I actually found sleeping on my stomach was comfortable - especially if you really spread your legs far apart.
sleeping on your side - put your bad leg on top was best for me.

I can't imagine having so many people around - my misery does NOT love company.

Have patience, keep AHEAD on your pain meds, and take it easy.

Jane

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »
Hey Glinda,

I'm beginning to feel very sleep deprived and cranky.

I hate to say this - I still feel this way 3 weeks 2 days later.  I just could not be sleep deprived anymore, I had to ask my OS for something to help me sleep.  It has helped but I still only sleep about 5 to 6 hours a night - Better then nothing when you have to work 9 to 12 hours a day looking at numbers all day!

On a lighter side - It sounds like the house is surviving OK - congrat's and don't fret over it too much!  Is Atticus a Golden?  I love Goldens! Such lovebugs. Make sure Atticus takes good care of you and lets your husband know when you need something (dogs have a amazing sense when there is something wrong or when you are not feeling well).  Foster would love your son,  he loves kids and is so good with them.  I let him swim with some of the kid who live near my parents.  It is so cute.

Though I have to admit that smile almost got him a "free to good home" sign right after my surgery (OK - Not really - I could not get rid of him for anything) but he would sit and just look at me for hours.  Nothing else - Just look at me, just like that picture.  It drove me up a wall.  All is better now he is over the I have to watch mom and make sure she is OK thing. Who knows that that was.

So,  How are you feeling today?  Did you take the On-Q out?  My OS took mine out.  Keep up with the pain meds - they really will help and once you get past the first few days things will get better!

Oh Yea - Another good movie to watch with your son is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - One of my Favs!

Take Care,
Karen 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:46:01 AM by KW »
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »
Yes, I took the ON-Q out and I want it back!  It certainly worked and I really miss it.  The good thing is that I am able to flex my quad so it is not "dead" again.  I was so worried that after all of my PT before the surgery I would lose my quad again especially after having had the ON-Q in since Monday.  I know that I will obviously lose a lot of strength but it is at least firing this time after surgery.  I am taking the oral pain medicine every four hours today - I am amazed at how much my shin hurts and how I have weird stabs of pain into the knee area. 

Karen - I hate to hear that you are not sleeping well still.  I was hoping that it would be a very temporary situation.  I'm glad that you were able to get some medicine to help out especially since you are working.  Right now I guess I don't have much to complain about since I'm not working but if this continues I may also have to mention it to my Dr. to see if there is something they can prescribe.  The mixture of no sleep and pain just does not make for a happy camper especially when I'm stuck here on this couch with little to do... Yuk!!!!  :(

Atticus is a golden and he is the best dog we have ever had.  My son and he are best buddies - they play for hours just romping around.  Our dog loves the water also - we have a hard time keeping him out of the water when we go to our cottage up North in Michigan.  I had my son look at Foster's picture in the water and he said, "Hey, is that when we were at the cottage?" He thought Foster had Atticus' ball - I had to explain to him that Foster didn't have Atticus' ball.  It was pretty funny.

Jane - I don't think I can do the stomach sleeping - at least not yet.  I am having quite a bit of pain right now in my knee cap area and in my shin.  I'm hoping I am having the "bad" pain over the next few days and it will start getting better.  Right now it is pretty painfull and really swollen.  My toes look like little sausage links. 

I changed the dressing last evening - the incision is about three inches long and looks really good as far as incisions go.  I also have two incisions where the scope was inserted.  My knee was really swelled up last evening - I couldn't really tell where the kneecap was.  My foot, ankle and toes are swelled to the point of being very painful.  The area along the shin and down has a little swelling but I think the ace bandage wrap and the imobilizer are snug enough to keep that down.  I'm also icing and elevating constantly other than when I get up to go to the bathroom.

Sooooo.....that just about sums up life around here for today.  I hope all is well with everyone.
Take care.
Glinda

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:37 AM »
Oh, I wanted my On-Q back too.  I asked for it back at my 2 week appt with my OS.  He just laughed at me!

I taught Foster that "Puppy Paws" were not allowed in the pool until "human paws" are in the pool.  Though there have been times I opened the back door to find a drowned rat.

The conversation with your son sounds so cute.  5 year olds come up with some of the best things.  I'm glad he could make you laugh.  At least it could take your mind off things for a few mins.  He is a great distraction!

Please don't let my sleep problems discourage you.  I'm not the best sleeper to begin with.  That may have something to do with my problem.  I hope your problem is only temp but if not don't be afraid to ask you OS for something to help.

Have a nice night and try really hard to get some sleep!
Karen
Right Knee
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 06:28:13 AM »
Ack, just wrote a really long message then my network connection dropped and I lost it before i could post! 

Anyway...Glinda, so glad you did a post-op diary.  I just noticed it today - haven't checked out much of the new stuff in the last couple days.  Sorry you're still having a bunch of pain & swelling, but unfortunately that is just par for the course with knee surgeries - nobody ever said this would be fun, right?   :-\  I feel your pain with the sleeping issue - I'm normally a side sleeper too and had a hard time sleeping on my back so much - especially when I was stuck in a CPM machine all night...pure torture!  I found that I could eventually get on my good side with a bunch of pillows under the bad knee to keep it straight and aligned with the body.  The first time you get to roll over it will feel soooo good!  Hopefully the swelling will continue to improve too.  Don't let Atticus see those toes - he might think they really are some yummy sausages!!!   ;D

Karen, that's such an adorable photo of Foster in the pool!  Maile (the lab) loves the water too, but our cattle dog max hates it!  They love the snow though!!!

Hope the house survives!!!  It's great that your husband and the kids are helping out!  A great Mother's Day gift!!!

Hope you're sleeping soundly right now!!!!

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »
Hi Glinda

Glad you have made it "to the other side", and are heading in the right direction - even if it is a painful one.  I am soooo jealous of everyone's dogs and cats.  No pets for me - they might get hungry when I'm gone for 6 months at a time - but I love animals and would love to have something to cuddle up to.  I do have a "grand-dog" Ella - a mutant mutt my daughter found in Costa Rica.  She loves to surf and play with anybody or anything.

Be sure to keep up with your pain-meds - - and have patience. (I keep telling myself that one too)

Jane

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 11:13:46 PM »
I took my first shower that night.... awwww did that feel good.  But boy was that a lot of work.  I am amazed at how much energy it zaps out of a person to get ready for a shower, take the shower, and then to get resituated with the ice and leg elevated.  WOW! 

Today I had to go to a meeting with my daughter's teachers and counselor at the high school - so I had to ride in the car for the first time without the ON-Q hooked up (have I mentioned that I really miss my ON-Q?).  I don't think they construct roads with us in mind.  How inconsiderate.  Anyway,  I definitely felt every crack in the road and by the time we arrived at the school (1 mile from out home) most of the pain I was having was just from me being so tense.  My mantra is now RELAX RELAX RELAX  The ride home was a little better since I went into it with the mindset of relaxing no matter what.

Right after lunch I then had my first physical therapy appointment.  After reading several other peoples entries my assumption was that my first couple of visits to my PT would be mostly the therapist doing hands on stimulation and working on ROM.  I was not prepared for really really really pushing myself to do quad flexes while lifting the leg both while on my back and while on my side, ankle pumps and then using a towel to stretch the back of the calf while doing the pump and  holding, and the real miracle that I am so very proud of is that I was able to knee bend to a ROM of 60degrees.  I am also to begin toe touch walking with my crutches and imobilizer on.  On Monday we are working on ROM of 90 degrees - that makes me a little nervous because it definitely did not want to go any further than 60 today so we'll see.

I just want to tell all of you how much I appreciate the encouragement and the ability to come here to ask  just about any question knowing someone will have gone through the same thing or at least know what I am talking about.  I know that I can call the Dr's office but having the support of all of you that have actually gone through the same thing has been so very helpful in easing my constant worries about the numerous "unknown" things going into this type of surgery - such as how bad will the pain be, how to prepare ahead of time around the house, etc. etc. etc.  I don't know what I would have done without all of the information and support that you all helped me with - I thank you so very much. 

Awwww Jane I would loan you an animal if I lived near you for your recoup time - although I have found that it is quite difficult to take care of the cat and dog right now.  The feeding and and putting out to go potty for the dog and cat has been left to the kids and my husband.  The dog is a real lover and is very gentle - I think he can sense that my knee is messed up right now - but I don't think at this point I would have the energy to be up and around enough to let Atticus out every time he gets the notion to watch nature or lay in the sun.  I can see how, with your job, it is nearly impossible to have a pet.  It is too bad they don't have some kind of shared custody of dogs for people that are gone for extended periods but that want to still have pupsters.  I just know how much our dog adds to our family - if you lived near us we would gladly keep a dog for someone while they were gone in order for them to have it while they were back.  We just love dogs.

So, Jane how are you doing?  Seen any good movies lately?  I'm going to send my husband out to get some for the weekend so if you have any suggestions?????

Hello Sarah - good to hear from  you.  Cute pic of the pups.  My golden loves the snow also.  He puts his whole face into the snow and rolls until he is completely caked with snow.  It's pretty funny.  It's kind of funny how these pooches can become such a part of our families.

Today while I was at physical therapy (yikes) the PT mentioned using a pillow between my legs while laying on my good side to see if this makes me comfortable for sleep - it sounds like what you used to do Sarah.  I think I am going to try that tonight.

Karen - I hope your week has gotten better.  Yeh, I realize everyones sleep is probably different and I am trying not to get too discouraged.  I have noticed that since starting the vicodin that I have been "foggy headed" and very quick to cry.  I hate that.  That was one thing that was really good about the ON-Q - not having to rely on these pain meds so much.  I will adjust.

Well, sorry I have once again rambled...off I go..my daughter is going to get chinese for supper for just the two of us. 
Glinda

support