Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI Surgery  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI Surgery
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2002, 02:50:05 AM »
Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the input. I saw my OS today for the check before the "BIG" surgery on Nov. 6. I am lucky and got an early morning surgery time. Now that I have decided that this is what I am going to do, the waiting is terrible. i am very thankful for the early morning surgery, because I don't think I could stand the wait that day.

Gail and Noddy, thanks for the positive input! I am in Colorado, and my surgeon does this relativly often. His success numbers are supposedly in the 95% range. Of course the 95% success is based on more function and less pain than prior to surgery. His success for returning to past activities is in the 80% range. All of those numbers sound better than what I am looking at with no surgery, so off I go.

Good luck to everyone!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2002, 10:55:55 AM »
Goodluck Linda

I am sure you won't regret it. Let us all know how you go.

Noddy

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2002, 07:10:38 PM »
Hello Noddy,

Thanks for the positive thoughts! That really helps. I was thinking about doing a journal here through the surgery recovery. I will be keeping one at home for sure.

Did your return to work come out okay? I only have two weeks off, but at least I have a desk job.

Did you do much pool work, and what type? I am hoping to use the pool.

Good luck on the rest of your recovery!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 09:24:07 AM »
Hi Linda

My return to work is going well.  I am only working half days at the moment to allow for rehab.

My pool program consists of freestyle swimming as a warm up, stretches, walking in the pool both forwards and backwards, 100m backstroke, more stretches and warm down with 100m freestyle.  The swimming also helps to keep up your fitness levels. I try to do this about 3 times a week.

If you want to know anything else just ask.

Good luck

Noddy

Offline chr12t1ne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2002, 03:08:38 PM »
Linda,
I had ACI Dec 01 and the biopsy was done Nov 01, 4 weeks prior to implant, you seem to have had your biopsy done in June?  I was told that impant had to be 3-5 weeks after biopsy, so what have they done with your cells in the meantime, are they frozen?  Just curious!
A few bits & pieces from me to help (I hope).  It hurts!!  I was given plenty of pain relief and I certainly needed it!  This, however, is short term stay positive the pain does of course ease with time.  You will be totally reliant on your crutches for a couple of weeks so remember you wont be able to make hot drinks, plates of food and carry them where you want, this proved tricky!  You will definitiley need someone around to help you for a couple of weeks.  I couldnt drive for 12 weeks but was back working in 2.  I had daily physio for 10 weeks, 30 mins session.  Everyone else has told you about rehab, it is hard work but a positive attitude is important and you seem to have this.  I am now scheduled for an arthroscopy in Dec to check the progress, this is standard where I had my treatment in UK but doesnt seem to be the case in US.  They have also told me I will probably have another one 2 years post surgery.  This is because the cells can continue to grow and they simply shave the area.  I have had synthetic patches and I did read that there is less chance of cell overgrowth with these!  Good luck, Sue

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2002, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks Noddy. I hope I will be able to get in the pool stuff as well. How soon after the implant were you able to start swimming? I had never done any swimming before, but took 10 lessons a little over a month ago to prepare. What do you think helped you the most during your first two months of recovery? After a little over two months, are things starting to feel better? Do you feel that you are headed toward a positive outcome? Knee  replacement has been mentioned to me as well. I am 38, so they would prefer not to go that route yet. my hopes for the outcome is no longer to return to competitive sports. I do hope to be able to return to hiking and backpacking, and hopefully maybe some skiiing here and there. Pain releif would be great too.

Sue, I had the biopsy done June 4. They did freeze the cells after an initial check to see if they would be viable and grow. We knew that it would be a fight to get the insurance to okay this surgery. They are still calling it experimental. We finally got through all the insurance arguing and appeals about three weeks ago, and scheduled the surgery for Nov 6. They needed the time to thaw the cells and then complete the growing process. As far as I know there are no follow up surgerys scheduled, although I was told that it was highly likely that they would have to go in and do the shaving that you spoke of. They told me that it would not be any worse than the harvest surgery. That was a piece of cake (walked out two hours after - no crutches, and was back to regular fitness routine three days later with pain no worse than prior to surgery), so I am not concerned about that. Growing extra stuff is the least of my worries! thanks for the input about the crutches and hot plates! I am hoping that I am tough and the pain won't get to me too bad. I am kind of stressing over that point! I rent my parents basement, so there will be people around. I am moving up to the couch for at least a few days since there are too many stairs and no bathroom where I am. Why did they make you wait so long before you could drive? That might be the biggest problem that I have not planned for. What do you think helped you the most during the first two months of your recovery? Since you are now almost a year from the implant, how are things? Are they better than before? Would you do it again?

Once again, thank you to everyone that has given input. The positive and negative really helps. It is better for me to know what to expect, and look out for. I also feel better knowing what bad things to worry about, rather than just have an uneasy mind in general.

Good luck to everyone else out there! Reading all the things that everyone has and continues to go through just boggles my mind! The only small piece that I can offer everyone is that no matter how bad it gets, latching onto something positive always helps. There are many studies that seem to point at much better healing results when there is a positive atmosphere.

Thanks again,
Linda

Offline chr12t1ne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2002, 02:37:00 AM »
Linda,
It's interesting to see how this treatment varies across the globe I wonder if the surgeons have all agreed to experiment with different methods and then all get together at their conferences to compare notes!  No-one told me I couldnt drive, but it took me a while to regain reasonable ROM so physically couldnt.  My leg was in a full leg plaster for 2 weeks and when they removed it my leg was fixed and it took a lot of hard work to even get to 45 degree flexion.  After 8 weeks I had a mua to break down adhesions plus a couple of days in hospital on CPM and the recovery after this was very quick with gym and pool work.  In the US I notice some people have had a leg brace & CPM, I believe this is better than plaster cast!  Do a bit of upper body work as well, this helps with the crutches.  What helped afterwards was having as much information as possible which is how I stumbled across this site.  Everyone knows knee surgery requires a bit of hard work afterwards to aid recovery, I've had plenty so I know how tough it can be.  The pool initially was probably the easiest for me, providing you can get in and out safely, and then the static bike, plus of course all the standard stuff but you should be given a protocol to follow.  I had 2 grafts on the patella and 1 on the med fem cond and the arthritic pain relief is immediate, ignoring the surgical pain.  I can get to sleep now without that knawing pain you probably can relate to.  Like you I dont intend on returning to competitive sport and I cant say my knee is perfect that would be a lot to expect but I am glad to have had this surgery and think that there is still time for things to improve even further!  By the way you mentioned the bathroom hope you can get to the loo and have enough room to keep your leg straight!  A raised loo seat is a real bonus.  Sue

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2002, 03:03:30 AM »
Sue, Yes, I am hoping that the Loo doesn't  prove to be too much of a challenge! It is not raised. I will be in a brace with a CPM machine. It will be interesting to see what the protocals will be in 10 years, or what else they will be doing for that matter! I am just glad that there is an option besides a knee replacement at this point! The leg they are working on is not the one that I use to drive with, so hopefully I will be able to get it in the car and still drive. Thank you again for all the encouragement, and info!

Linda

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2002, 09:49:57 AM »
Hi Linda

I started swimming about 4 weeks post op. I didn't have my staples removed until then. It is good to be able to do pool work as you can work on your ROM and quad strength without putting pressure on the implant site and in a relative weightless situation. Don't worry if you can't swim. Just walking and bending in the water will be good.  Check with your physiotherapist about what to do.  Mine gave me the programme I follow.

The thing that helped the most, other than my husband who was invaluable, was the CPM and doing static quad work. It is hard to get the quads working and the range of motion happening.  Do as much quad work as you can before the op and this will help after.

Things are starting to feel better and those around me both at physio and friends and family say they can see the improvement in my movement. I feel that I will probably need an arthroscopy to remove scar tissue, but other than that I am very hopeful that all will be well.  You need to have realistic expectations and I feel that you do.  My hopes were that I can walk without the pain I have had for the past 4 years and get down on the floor and play with my grandchildren. My OS is positive.

Don't get frustrated if you are slow in recovering. That is the nature of ACI.  It takes a year or more to fully know if it has worked as the cells are constantly maturing. Rehab is a slow process and you must only do what your surgeon tells you.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything else you want to know.

Noddy

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2002, 07:03:15 PM »
Noddy,

Thanks for all the info! I hope you continue to improve. It sounds as though you are working very hard at it.

Linda

Offline jimbeaver

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2002, 09:17:15 AM »
Hello to all!  :)

Im into my 5th week after my Femoral Condyles ACI surgery here in Singapore.  The op went well, and much to my relief, the pain was bearable for me. (I was given morphine to control the pain after the op)

I was hospitalised for 7 days at the advice of my surgeon so that I can have medical stuff to help me monitor my progress on the CPM and the physio therapies.  My knee was iced throughout the night over the 7 days at the hospital so as to keep the swelling down.  

I started at 40 degrees on the CPM machine and attained 90 degrees by the 2nd week.  By the 4th, I achieved 130.

Im now on partial weight-bearing, walking on both legs but with the crutches.  My left knee had lost alot of muscles over the few weeks of inactvity, so I must "reintroduce" my leg to weight-bearing gradually.

My knee still swells, and there are some pain around the knee cap area, which my surgeon said was normal.  Im now looking forward to chuck my crutches away and going back to work next Monday.  In between I will have to go for my physios and doing progressive strengthening exercises on my own to gain back the strength on my left leg, and also to allow my knee to absorb shocks through harsher demands like climbing, squatting etc.  Im not sure if Im rushing through the protocol, but I do "listen" to my knee alot and only push as far as my knee can hold.

At this point, I am unable to tell if the op was a success in curing my cartilage problem as the rehab takes much longer than this, but Im glad that the pain prior to my op seemed to have gone, and the pain from my op wasn't as fearful as I had expected.

There is still a long way to go, but I certainly look forward to the day I can play basketball & soccer again!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline downhillrunner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
    • hang gliding
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2003, 04:28:36 PM »
Hi all

put off my medial compartment ACI for a year - just plain scared and hoping putting off will not cause area of damage to increase / become inoperative...?

Scheduled at the same time is a tibial osteotomy ( wedge of bone inserted to correct slight bow / take pressure off inside of knee)  -  anyone got experience of this dual op?

Having this done at the Agnus ortho hospital in shropshire - any one got experience of them?

Has anyone got back to FULL fitness following ACI?  I know this may be the wrong palce to look for succes stories - but you never know.
I thought this op. has been done for 10+ years in sweeden?

Questions, questions...

My only real advise to you all is "use it or loose it" however lightly you exercise you must regularly to prevent quads wastage / knee stiffness - Maybee I am just reminding my self to not put off because of a bit of pain...?

ramble mode off. ::)

support