Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unispacer vs. osteotomy?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline jbmarcus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Unispacer vs. osteotomy?
« on: January 26, 2003, 03:44:56 PM »
Can anyone tell me if having the Unispacer implant is more or less involved than having an osteotomy? Is one more radical than the other?

Offline Theresa S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Keep smiling!!!
Re: Unispacer vs. osteotomy?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 01:51:13 AM »
Hi

I have had both procedures done on my left knee and the unispacer surgery was painful for the first couple of weeks, where the pain after the osteotomy surgery lasted for months.

I am 10 weeks post op from the unispacer surgery and it was definitely less painful and I was only on crutches for 5 weeks compared to 12 with the osteotomy. I was weight bearing after the unispacer and non weight bearing for months after the osteotomy.

After having been through both procedures I feel the unispacer was the easier of the two.

I hope this help, if you have any other questions or concerns let me know.

Take Care
Theresa

Offline bliss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Unispacer vs. osteotomy?t
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 11:59:46 PM »
Hi Theresa - I also had unispacer surgery 11 weeks ago and I was interested that you were on crutches for 5 weeks.  I used a walker for 10 days and then I didn't need any help.  Were there complications with your surgery?  

The only problem I've had so far - is with my extention of my knee.  I can't seem to get it to go all the way down.  I have this machine now called an Ermi and uses pressure to push the leg down and it is helping some.  My flexion is stuck right now at about 115 degrees and I'm hoping to get that back to around 125.  Have you had any problems with your
ROM?

I still have pain when I go up and down stairs and when I sit for long periods and get up.  Still have a bit of a limp in the mornings.

I'd love to hear about your recovery.

Sandy