Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newbie - Synovial Chondromatosis - Advice Required Urgently  (Read 809 times)

Offline Terri_1968

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all

I've suffered with a bad knee for about 9 years now - had an athroscopic investigation 2 years ago and was diagnosed with synovial chondromatosis.  Up till then, had never heard of it and since then, not found much information regarding it.  Noticed a couple of postings here at Knee Geeks from other sufferers and thought it a good place to come for some advice.

My OS has decided to carry out an open synovectomy - just got my date through for 12 June.  My query is what kind of recovery time can I expect from something like this - any ideas??

I was offered the operation in September last year, but had just found out I was pregnant and had to refuse it.  Was then contacted again in February with a March date, but baby about to be born any moment (arrived on 27 February 2007).  My predicament now is that I am stuck with trying to decide whether to go ahead with the operation or not.  If I turn down this operation I will be removed from the waiting list, but not sure how I'll be able to cope with a 3 month old baby after surgery. 

Any advice would be much appreciated from anyone who has had an open synovectomy or anyone with synovial chondromatosis.

kc1124

Re: Newbie - Synovial Chondromatosis - Advice Required Urgently
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:45:59 PM »
Wow.  That certainly is a tough decision to make.  Although I have not had the procedure you are set to undergo, I did have knee surgery when my son was 2 and my daughter was 11 months, and then six months later had another knee surgery.  No one can tell you what to do, but perhaps some words can help you in your decision.

I too did not know what I was going to do having knee surgery and two babies at home, but you will be amazed at yourself.  I knew I needed to get better and I knew I had to care for my kids and I just did what needed to be done.  I had help from my husband (he is a great guy.  I am very lucky), and my mom pitched in when she could.  It would be good to see if you can get a support system in place prior to surgery.  I got around the best I could and was amazed at what I could do.  Part of it was just knowing I had to take care of the kids. 

I hope this makes some sense.  I know what I want to say, but getting it out on the message, it sometimes doesn't come across the right way.

Anyway, I wish you much luck, and if you want to talk, keep posting.  I will be happy to lend an ear.

KC

Offline Terri_1968

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the response KC.    Since posting I've been back onto my OS for more information.  He reckons that I could be on crutches for a couple of weeks and that the overall recovery time should be about 2-4 weeks. 

Unfortunately I don't have a wonderful husband to help me out, but my parents have offered to have me stay with them for a few weeks.  Would have preferred to be in my own home, but as I live in a first floor flat (no lifts, just stairs) I think going to them would be the sensible option.  Let's just hope my OS is not being too optimistic - not sure I could move back home for too long!

I'm sure you're right though... I'll get on with it and manage - no other choice is there?  I suppose I'm coping with lugging around an increasingly heavy baby as it is with my knee so bad and we're managing.

Thanks again for the response - nice to know there is someone out there who can understand my concerns.

Terri

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:50:01 AM »
KC-
I too have Synovial Chondromatosis.  Was dx a couple of years ago and have had multiple surgeries.  Two open posterior and two arthoscopies.  Please check out the Rehab Dept-Soft tissue healing.  I've started a couple of threads there also trying to find others with this disease.  Possibly you have already read thru them.
Boy it's not easy to get back on your feet I've found but I'm older than you at 56.  Especially with a baby that needs alot of care at such a young age.  Are you able to postpone the operation to the baby is walking or are you in too much pain?  You'll be on crutches at least for several weeks.  The first two weeks are the hardest and you will be going to PT often I imagine.  If you can get the help you need for the first several weeks maybe you could manage.  Hard to say.  Hard decision to make but impossible to carry baby and use crutches.  I think your OS is too optimistic to say recovery in 2 weeks.  You'll just be getting out your stitches about then if he is really doing an open procedure.  I wish you well and feel free to ask me anymore questions.  I'd love to help you if I can.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

support