Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: osteotomy/surgeon selection  (Read 2706 times)

Offline jbmarcus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
osteotomy/surgeon selection
« on: January 26, 2003, 01:35:44 AM »
Lets assume that I am an ideal candidate for osteotomy.(I'm not sure that I am but my ortho thinks it is definately an option for me at this time. I am 51 years old and I blew my left knee out from 35 years of competetive tennis? I am currently using a Gen II Unloader Select Brace.
My question is this: How much of a varience is there from one surgeon to the next in terms of the surgeon's skills? Is an osteotomy, an osteotomy, an osteotomy, or should I be looking for a particular skill? Are there any specific questions that I should be asking the surgeon regarding the osteotomy? Also are there any atheletes who have gone through the operation with a success story to tell me. I'm scared to death.
Thanks
Jim M :

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: osteotomy/surgeon selection
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 04:14:59 AM »
First off, I think you need to find out if your OS has done a lot of osteotomies. My old OS says he doesn't do them because the complication rate is too high. My current OS says he does them all the time. My physical therapist said that all the patients he has seen are doing very well.

I haven't had mine yet and have only found a handful of people that have had one. But all of them say the surgery was a success. They may not be completely pain free but they are doing tons better than before.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 07:08:51 PM »
I had a HTO 15 mos. ago and I think having a OS who is good at doing them is very important. My knee is bowed again and I just found out the bones in my leg never healed.
It has been a long 15 mos. of pain, but my OS told me it was completely healed and would just take time to not hurt anymore. In hindsight I can't beleive he could miss something so important.
Through the internet I picked the name of an OS in my area (Minneapolis, MN) to see about checking out my leg after I lost confidence in the OS who performed my HTO.
He is the one who discovered my bones never healed and referred me to someone who he says is the, by far the best person in our area to advise me.
I am happy to hear that there may be a hope I can walk across the room painfree someday, but worried about more surgery, bills, recovery time , ect.
I too have been wearing Genertion 2 knee braces and think it is the only reason I have been able to still do construction work. All day, every day all I think about is the end of the day so I can sit down.
If I were you I would definitely make sure my OS had done plenty of HTOs. I would think about getting a second opinion from a sports clinic and keep getting opinions until you are comfortable that you are dealing with people that know what they are doing.
Good luck and don't wait as long as I did to go somewhere else if your feelings are that you are being put off or not taken seriously.      Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline amazonia

• Regular Poster
  • hello from Vancouver, Canada!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 07:48:54 PM »
I had a high tibial osteotomy on Dec. 5th '02, and so far things are going well.  I was back to see the surgeon 2 weeks ago, and the x-rays show everything is healing how it should be.  Pretty scary to see the 4 big screws and a plate in my leg though!  I'm waiting for reconstructive surgery of the PCL and PLC, and had to have an oseotomy done prior to the reconstruction, so not for the 'usual' reasons.  I was also scared to death about it, but for me it really hasn't been that bad.  The hip graft was the most painful part of the procedure, but that pain only lasted a few weeks.  I'm now 50% weight bearing on crutches, but when I'm at home I'm not using them at all, and it's really not painful - but I do notice if I'm up and around too much.
As for surgeons - my first surgeon, who is a good surgeon himself, didn't feel comfortable with my complex knee injury - so sent me to someone who he knew specialized in HTO's.  I would definitely find a surgeon who does this procedure, or specializes in it, as it isn't a run of the mill knee surgery.
Good luck, and keep thinking positive!
Jan. '02 - complete tears of the ACL/PCL and PLC - emergency surgery to repair them;  high tibial osteotomy Dec 5 '02; May 22nd 2003 reconstructive PCL (allograft) and PLC (hamstring tendon).  No ACL reconstruction as I retore it 3 weeks prior to surgery.  No ACL/ loose knee but little pain!

support