Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: AHHHHHHHHH! Cortisone Injection!! Very Nervous!!!  (Read 1463 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
AHHHHHHHHH! Cortisone Injection!! Very Nervous!!!
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »
I have an appt in like 3 hours, and they are going to give me a cortisone injection. needless to say, from the title, i am very nervous, cuz it is my first one and i had a flare up last night of my IT Band. ahhhhh, i dont want it to hurt!!  :-[

any advice or comments about how they work, feel, or how i am going to feel??

thanks,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: AHHHHHHHHH! Cortisone Injection!! Very Nervous!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:18:53 PM »
Take this easy..you will do fine. Can hurt a bit when you get the injection and feel stiffness and some joint pain after the nearest 48 hours.
It's different how a cortizone injection work or not. Some get relief for a long time..like months and others no relief at all or just for shorter period.
So don't be scared. I have done this many times and I think taking blood tests are way worse. Wish you good luck.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
Thank you soo much!!

i am not very fond of needles, especially when they are in me or going into me!!

Jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
Jak, I don't like needles either..on the bright side in 3 hours all is finished and done and hopefully your knee will feel much better.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:55:51 PM »
NEVERMIND!!

i just came back and he said that there was no inflammation and i shouldnt be experiencing this severe pain for such a minor problem (ITBS)
i told him that i could barely walk yesterday, he said, "Get some crutches, ice it and start pt as soon as possible." he was in and out of there in like 5 minutes. i hate when docs do that. i am still in pain and he doesnt know why!! is it in my head???????????

thanks,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »
Jak, what has been done before to find out what your problem is ?

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »
Hi Jak

What do they mean "you shoulden't"... you are and therefore they need to attend to this.  Got to love some doctors - "you shoulden't"  yea right.  So if no inflammation why the crutches and ice?  I'm not saying they needed to do the injection but to just dismiss this that quickly.  I don't blame you for being frustrated.  Now on the other hand don't fear the injections.  They really are not that bad.  I actually don't mind needles (work in the medical field) but hate orthopedics - especially my own so hate the injections into my knee.  But all in all except for a little increase after they are done it is not bad at all.

How about a second opinion.  Not sure where you live and how easy that is to do but may not be a bad option if possible.  If not possible I would become a big pain in the --- for their office if things don't seem to improve.  If you are in pain it needs some kind of attention.  Maybe ice and rest will do the trick but to not really talk to you about what was going on.

Hope things get better quickly for you.

Take care,

Deborah

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:52:03 AM »
Well, i am trying to find some crutches, and cant seem to find some. gonna ask my neighbor. someone said that i can borrow some but i have to go to school tmw and i dont have them yet. i dont know why they say nothing is wrong. the MRI and the xrays show nothing, but i can tell ya, there is a bunch of pain there. before, i just had to put up with the pain, but now it is getting worse and unbearable. as for the second opinion, this is my fourth doc. all say different things except itbs, which 2 agreed on. i hate crutches, but they help sooo much.

thanks sooo much,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Scout

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Pamela
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »
Here is my blog on the cortisone shot:

Just got back from sports medicine. Had my first shot, cortisone. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but it was no walk in the park. When we talked about it, I asked him if it was true that multiple shots could actually do more harm to the joint than good, and he agreed that it was true, but that he was only doing this one, and if it worked, my next shot would be Synvisc in two weeks.

As he prepared the needle, I asked him, "you are going to numb me first, right? Spray or SOMEthing?" "Oh yeah, definetly. He sprayed it for a long time, and then suddenly, it got cold; thank God, just before the shot. . . It stung some and then he asked if I was feeling any pressure, I said "no. . ." and then "uh
y e e e s s s s s

A little more painful than your average shot, but not as bad as some people scare you with.  However, everyone does have different levels of pain tolerance, so this experience may be only subjective at best

But I survived. It hurts some now, but I have taken some extra Diclofenac (Volteran). I got a new knee brace, one that is appropriate for a mal-tracking patella. It feels weird, the brace on my kneecap.

I hope to be pain free in a week or so. I don't think at this point I can say that I WILL go for short-term disability. I hope that I can take the Synvisc shot in two weeks and go back to work.   We shall see.

You can find more about me on my "Are there any Backpackers Here" thread; feel free to peruse my myspace.

support