Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice Please, please, please, please!!!!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
Advice Please, please, please, please!!!!
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
I am getting ready to go to Canada for the Victoria Day Parade. I am marching in the band. The only problem is that i dont think that i can walk the 2 miles without having a lot of pain. My band director is also concerned about it. Does anybody have any idea as to how i can march or walk with the band without being in pain. (just keep in mind for advice, i have to fit it onto a bus and a ferry for 10 hours.)

Thanks soo much,
Jacqui
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

kc1124

Re: Advice Please, please, please, please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 01:25:32 AM »
Hi Jacqui,

Walking with knee problems in extremely difficult.  I need to use a cane to walk.  I do have a few suggestions for you and hope that maybe they will be of help.

Do you have a patella tracking brace?  If so, I would strongly suggest wearing that.  Also, maybe you can put some ice packs in a cooler and during your down time (if you have any) on the bus or ferry, ice the knee down.  Also, maybe you can try to keep it elevated on the bus and ferry. 

I hope everything works out for you and that you can try to enjoy.

KC

trainwreck

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:17:50 AM »
I would agree.  Definately ice as much as possible and wear a stabilizing brace. Run to the drug store and buy one if you don't already have one.  It will definately be better than nothing.  I would also bring ibuprofin and take it as often as recommended.  Good Luck to you.  This is obviously important to you and I hope your knee behaves. Have fun and try not to focus on your knee.  I also have found a cane to be helpful. 
Allison

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:56:01 AM »
Thanks,
I just got a new brace. it doesnt really help with pain but it gives me a sense of stability. it is the cho-pat dual strap. i also have like a cheap one from walmart that is a little more complicated but it looks kinda funny under my marching uniform. I am trying to break in my new knee brace and see how well it works when i get used to it. I was thinking of using crutches, but i need to buy some cuz i moved and didnt take them with me. i cou;d also find a wheelchair and ride in that with my band director, who is now the proud owner of a broken leg. i think that i might get crutches, i can walk with them pretty good, from years of experience, even though i will have some blisters. i just cant seem to find them at like rite aid or a store. i am really determined to walk (or crutch) in the parade, its on national canadian tv!!! (is crutches a good idea??)

Thanks for everything,
Jacqui

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

trainwreck

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »
Do you play an instrument?  How could you do that if you were on crutches?  Maybe a cane is a better idea.  I know the brace won't fix everything but even if all it does is give you a sense of security it's worth it. It doesn't matter if it looks weird under your uniform.  If you do end up on tv can I tell people I know a star?  Will you remeber us when you're famous ? Please say yes. JK
Allison

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:44:22 AM »
Thanks for the response!!
if i used crutches, then i wouldnt be playing my flute, which is ok with me. (the music is hard to memorize, Semper Fi) sure, u can tell every1 u know a star. jk

I feel kinda of weird telling my mom that i need to buy crutches or that it is an idea, because i dont want her to think that i am overdoing it and just wanting attention. i know that she knows the pain is real, just people who have never had knee pain, dont know had bad it is. what is a good way to ask her about crutches??

I am going to be marching in another parade (next month, hopefully) which will be broadcast across the US. i will let every1 know when and on what channel.

Thank you sooo much,
jacqui

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

trainwreck

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:41:50 AM »
Hey you,
Don't feel funny about telling your mom you need crutches.  I can't believe she would think you were being a diva.  Maybe a cane would be better than you could play that flute like an angel.  I am so excited I know a star.  Are you going to have to change your name like many other stars?  Perhaps you could tell people you got your start at knee guru.  Your stage name could be somthing so your initials were k g.  Somthing to think about.
Don't worry about talking to your mom.  Moms are safe people who love and don't judge. I know this because I am a mom.
Allison

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 06:21:44 AM »
thank u sooo much!!
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

trainwreck

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 06:23:10 AM »
You are so silly/  You don't need to thank me for anything I have said.  You would do the same for me.  We're knee buddies.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:48:32 PM »
my mom and i are gonna try to get some crutches. does anyone know if like the doc can give them out or lend them. if not, i can just get them at a thrift store. This might be the best thing. stay off until the parade, march, and then stay off the rest of the time. or just march with crutches, depending on the pain. i might be getting a cortisone shot today. i just have to get over the fear first.

Thanks,
Jacqui

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

support