Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain from patella alta in 16 year old  (Read 836 times)

Offline jude5001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain from patella alta in 16 year old
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:16:26 PM »
My 16 year old son's MRI has found his kneecap is too high (Patella alta).  I realize alot of questions need to be answered before treatment for his pain, so am researching here.  He is 6' 6", 230, very athletic. Football, basketball, etc.  And of course, the clincher, he is still growing.  Which forum addresses this very rare condition?  Thank you!
16 year old son's MRI found patella alta. He also is double jointed, and his bones are unusually far apart. High arches. 6' 6" and still growing. No surgery yet!

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Pain from patella alta in 16 year old
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
Hi,
One of the places that u could post ur questions is in the "The patello-femoral joint" area.
I had the same problem, except they said it was too high on the xray and just normal on th MRI. i played basketball, softball, and hockey, but i am currently "retired" at the old, old age of 15. (jk, but i am not playing any sports right now.) my advice, which is a very common statement, maybe get a second opinion, if u are not comfortable with the first one. (i had 4 opinions, and unfornately, they were all different.) in the mean time, if he is having very severe pain, consider getting a brace, like a patella stabilizing brace, to provide comfort and of course stability.
Hope everything works out!!!

Jacqui ;)
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline jude5001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:14:15 AM »
Jacqui -- thanks for response.  I hear what you're saying.  Did you ever have a Catscan, with rotation?
16 year old son's MRI found patella alta. He also is double jointed, and his bones are unusually far apart. High arches. 6' 6" and still growing. No surgery yet!

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:13:16 AM »
No, I have only had an MRI and xrays. they want to try pt on me first and then a bone scan if it doesnt work.

Hope ur son gets better, knee pain sux!!

jacqui
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

support