Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cortisone Shot--Considering It  (Read 953 times)

Offline Ella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone Shot--Considering It
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:33:58 AM »
I am giving serious thought to a cortisone shot--I had one with my LR but I was under general anastesia for it.  I have discussed this with my PT and will with my OS in a few days.

The main thing I am asking here is for those of you who have had the shot(s):
-what was the procedure like?
-did it hurt? (I'm a sissy when it comes to pain from needles/shots)
-how long did it work?
-were there any problems?
-where did you get the shot/what was it for?

Thanks.  I'm looking to do as much research as I can before hand.

-ella

trainwreck

Re: Cortisone Shot--Considering It
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:19:45 AM »
Ella,
I have had 4 cortisone injections.  Honestly, they were excrutiating for me.  My knees are "hypersensitive" from repeated surgeries so I am not sure everyone finds them painful.  I personally will not have another one. I did not find I got any relief from them.  I know a lot of people get a lot of relief that is the only reason I tried it 4 times.  You had one before, did it give you relief?  I did find that my knee swelled a lot afterwards.  I don't want to scare you or discourage you.  It just didn't work for me.  If the previous one you had helped you should do it again.  The injection itself doesn't take that long and I am sure you can bite the bullet for a short while.  You gotta look at the outcome and let that be your guide.
Good Luck
Allison

Offline Ella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:37:41 AM »
Ella,
I have had 4 cortisone injections.  Honestly, they were excrutiating for me.  My knees are "hypersensitive" from repeated surgeries so I am not sure everyone finds them painful.  I personally will not have another one. I did not find I got any relief from them.  I know a lot of people get a lot of relief that is the only reason I tried it 4 times.  You had one before, did it give you relief?  I did find that my knee swelled a lot afterwards.  I don't want to scare you or discourage you.  It just didn't work for me.  If the previous one you had helped you should do it again.  The injection itself doesn't take that long and I am sure you can bite the bullet for a short while.  You gotta look at the outcome and let that be your guide.
Good Luck
Allison

I had one while under general anastesia as part of my Lateral Release.  I did get AMAZING relief from something (which I now think was the injection--not the surgery).  It was swollen for about 2 weeks but again, I don't know if it was from the injection or the surgery.  I'm also worried about some of the risks (bleeding--which is a big thing for me, infection, ect).  Did you have any problems with things like that?

trainwreck

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:47:43 AM »
I don't have any  type of bleeding disorders.  I am healthy as a horse just have horrid knees.  I think the risk of infection is very small.  It shouldn't be any worse than any other shot.  It sounds like you had a good result from your previous injection.  If I were you I would get one again because of the relief you got.
Allison

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 05:01:58 AM »
Hi Ella,

I had a cortisone shot in December, but I had it in my hip (for bursitis) not my knee. It was painful, but it wasn't unbearable. I was pretty sore for several days and I couldn't sleep on that side for a couple weeks, but after that the pain completely went away. So, it was more than worth it.

My mom takes blood thinners and she didn't have an issue with bleeding when she had her cortisone shot several years ago.

Good luck!!

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »
Hi i had a shot in january this year terrible pain im still waiting for it to work,it must work for some im sure in my opinion it was'nt worth the additional pain consider it carefully is my advice.
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »
I had one in my knee a few weeks ago.  It didn't really hurt.  It was just a tremendous amount of pressure.  I felt like my kneecap was going to pop off.  But it didn't hurt.  However, I'm one of the lucky few that had a bad reaction to the shot.  My knee hurt much much much worse for about 6 days after the shot.  For a couple days, I could hardly walk on it.  I understand this to be a rather rare side effect, but I would ask about it.  These days my knee does seem to be better but it still hurts.  So the jury is still out for me as to whether or not it was worth it!
Good luck to you!

brianne

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
Ella,

I have had two cortizone shots in my shoulder in the past three months.  They hurt pretty bad when they are being done, but they are over pretty quick.  I had two different OS's do each of the cortizone shots and the amount of pain varied greatly.  With one of the OS's, my regular OS, it hardly hurt at all.  The other OS, who I did not like at all, made it hurt like heck.

My cortizone shots did not do a thing for my pain, but it was my shoulder and not my knee.

Brianne

Offline charmrus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
I had one in my knee.  It did hurt but no more than getting a shot in the arm.  If you are used to pain in the general area that they will be giving you the shot in then Im sure your tough enuff to take it.  If not just hit the person doing the shot....me thinks it's legal.

sort of like a woman biting thier spouse during birth.....ouch.

kc1124

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 01:41:24 AM »
I have had many, many cortisone injections in my knee.  I did not find them to painful, but I never felt I had any relief with them either.  On a few occasions I did have difficulty moving my knee for a day or two after the injections.  It almost felt like it was locked in place.  I think it all depends on the individual and the severity of the knee problem.  It can't hurt to try.

KC