Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: micro fracture/knee replacement  (Read 1115 times)

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
micro fracture/knee replacement
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:38:34 PM »
I am 1 year post op after having micro fracture which by the way the hospital staff were unaware so i walked out of the hospital.(can you imagine the pain) Against all odds i do have a covering over the end of the femur,so further surgery has shown i still get alot of pain i have had steroid injections that does'nt help my os now informs me i really need a new knee.but wait for it i'm to young at 51 i cant see what my future holds is their anyone out there that has had simular HELP.jan
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: micro fracture/knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
I walked out of surgery with microfracture too.  It was painful  Mine did not work.  I ended up with knee replacement, right at 45 and left at 48.  So 51 is not too young.  If the decision is your, then think about what quality of life you have and what quality you want.  If its the OS, get another opinion.  There are many OS that are now looking at quality of life vs age. 
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:31:30 PM »
Hi sandy thanks for your reply i thought i was the only one in the world with this problem,how have you been since the knee replacements,has your quality of life improved,and by how much i see my os next week he's actually very good.it was one of his team that performed the micro frature and failed to tell anyone.I will talk to my os and let you know what he says.jan
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
Jan,  Sorry you need a TKR.  51 is not too young!  It depends on your quality of life.  For me the TKRs were wonderful, I can now do almost anything,  I just came in from spending about an hour in the garden digging!

Good luck when you see your OS.

HUGs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »
Jan,  I was lucky? enough to have nurses that knew I was none weight bearing after my microfracture. I had mine 3/17/06 and had not even the slightest idea that I was going in for anything more than a cleaning up!!!! My surgery was a Friday AM and I had to wait until Monday to call OS office to see what was done to me. I continued to have knee pain after my 8 weeks non weight bearing and continued with the injections, 5 Supartz, and cortizone. I finally went to a new OS in December and had a contrast MRI done immediately. The only area in my knee left with cartalidge was the microfracture area. I am now almost, or perhaps by now, total bone on bone.  I had my 2nd scope end of December to see what options we have for my right knee. My OS has decided anything except a TKR at this time will just be a waste of time. I am only 46 and they don't want to do it this year. I am now going through the left knee going quickly and in PT for the right hip also.  I am at the point where I am taking the decision in my hands and this OS will do the TKR or I will find another. My thoughts are, do I want to be able to walk the dogs, garden, go hiking, ect  now or when I am 60???  You guessed it, NOW

Good Luck
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:33:36 AM »
 Hi everyone i went to the hospital yesterday hoping to get some enlightenment but my os was'nt there i saw a member of his team who basically did'nt help just examined my knee and left me with pain,How ever i do see my os (mr big himself) in 4 weeks.So yet another wait.All this is taking its toll on my left knee which as had two previous ops.Thanks for all your support i will keep you posted.jan