Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone ever heard of Enterobacter Sakazakii infection - need info  (Read 1796 times)

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone.

It started with a slip on a frog, then surgery #1 (scope, medial and lateral meniscus repair, lateral release), and PT - including riding a bike.

2 months after surgery.  Riding the bike, hit a pile of gravel, fell on newly repaired knee - 17 stitches - wound was SUPPOSED TO BE CLEANED OUT - before they stitched it up (out of town small hospital)

8 months after 1st surgery.  Surgery 2 - a TTT  -  OS did a scope, and medial tune-up, then went to do the TTT, but couldn't finish because knee was still full of knee sand, gravel and nasty goop.  Cleaned it all out and sent goop for culture.  At the time he said that he could probably finish the surgery in 3 weeks.

Culture came back positive for ENTEROBACTER SAKAZAKII infection.  My OS has now decided that the TTT is now too risky to do ! 

The only thing I can find about this infection is that it is found in infant formula, but nothing about wounds.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TYPE OF INFECTION?  Is it anything to be super worried about?  I'm really at a loss as to what to think.

Thank you.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Anyone ever heard of Enterobacter Sakazakii infection - need info
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:24:50 AM »
This is a rare type bacteria that can be associated with osteomyelitis. Try googllng it with osteomyelitis, and see what you get. Osteomyelitis, is infecton of the bone, so it can be very dangerous. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:52:23 AM »
Thank you Teresa

I did the google search like you said, and did find a few articles.  My infection was not in the joint (yet?), more like right around the tibial tubercle - the spot that needs to be OK for my surgery.  It's wierd, I felt fine, and as far as I know - had no infection symptoms.  Yet, my OS thinks that no matter what I take (2 weeks of expensive Levaquin) to kill the infection off - some tiny particle might survive - and get into the bone if he does the TTT.

Teresa, I see by your profile that you have battled an infection.  How could you tell you had one?  Any suggestions for me?

Thank you

2ndmate Jane

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:09:43 PM »
Just returned from OS office - the 3rd trip in 4 days.  Wound refuses to stop draining - it's been over 2 weeks since surgery.  OS decided that he wants to IMMEDIATELY go back into the knee and do a clean out down to the bone.  So now scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning.  Worrisome and scary.