Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cortisone Shots  (Read 3983 times)

Iona_-Uk

Cortisone Shots
« on: July 03, 2003, 06:38:17 AM »
Cortisone shots have mixed reviews and feelings from docotrs and patients and is getting quite controversial; so......

How many of us here  have had cortisone shots to help our knees, what effect did you have with it? Have you had it done elsewhere if not on your knees, would you do it again?.

This is my answer
I've had 4 cortisone shots in my lifetime, 1 on each knee, 2 in my wrist, For my knees it made things worse, I had to prior to having any surgery on my knees, it was my second step, the first being PT, I suffered from intense pain around the site of the shot. wher the shot went in I formed lumps like eggs in a reaction, my patella pain became worse because of the obvious inflammation caused by the very thing which was supposed to calm it.

However in the same year I had a tear in my wrist cartilidge and a floater of cartilidge and that caused a lot of pain and inflammation I was MRI-ed and put forward for surgery, though there was an 8 month wait, my consultant mentioned cortisone shots, I wasn't keen after the last time but I agreed to come back in a week after I had thought about it. I did agree to try the cortisone again and what a diffference, I had NO trouble from this go, I noticed the effects of the shot after 5-6 days and I really was pleased with it, I also had another go about 7 months after surgery and again was delighted withe the effect.

I'm not sure if I would have it done again though, certainly I wouldn't contemplate it on my knees, maybe if I was suffering badly with say tennis elbow I may give it a go, it would all depend on weighing up the odds. I'll never say never.

Iona

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Re: Cortisone Shots
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 07:51:09 AM »
I have had about 3 shots in each knee for severe IT Band flare ups.  It helped me tremendously!  It would leave a painful lump where it was injected for a day or so.  It was a mixture of cortisone and lidocaine I think.  It got rid of the flare up totally.  I'm talking flare ups to the point that I could not walk up and down stairs at ALL!  I did not know the damage that these shots can cause.  I would be leary to get one now after all my other problems, but they helped way back when!

Heather  ;D    
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 01:49:01 AM »
I have been in soo much pain I would have tried (and did) anything to get some kind of painrelief, I had 10 injections in 1 year I think, I probably had every type of cortisone product. Diprophos,Depo-medrol, Depo-medrol + Lidoca´ne., Bufexine... had'em all. But I always felt better after I had it.  The last one was 2 weeks ago, and my OS said I should wait at least 6 months before getting another one. I will, I had way too many already! All injections were in my L knee.

Same OS appt 2 weeks ago OS discovered a cyst on my little (5th) toe. I had a constant sharp pain in that toe and he said he would get rid of it... with a cortisone injection... NO!!!!! Man that was painfull..... The BIG needle in my tiny little toe... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! But the pain was a lot better.

Can't I be placed in the World Record book 4 having had the most cortisone injections in such a short time in such a short period of time in one joint ;D? well maybe not... ;)

H
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 01:54:09 AM »
Helena- you might not get in the record books but you can have a place in the kneeguru forum for most injected member!  ;D

Iona

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 02:36:38 AM »
That was absolutely hilarious Iona!!!!!!!!!

:D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D :);D
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 11:54:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Iona, ::) I'll suggest this to KNEEguru, like a record book...

Helena ;D
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 07:23:21 PM »
I don't know how many cortisone shots I've had in my knees, maybe 3. The latest one was in Apr. They just never seemed to help me. I'm glad some people have had success with them, but just like some medications seem to help some people and not others this seems to not help everyone. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline puffingirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 07:19:04 PM »
I had one in my knee early this spring.  It seems to help for about 3 days, and that was it.   Not really worth it for me.  :(
Right knee
2000--lateral meniscus repair, partial medial meniscectomy
2002--subtotal lateral and partial medial meniscectomy
2003--diagnostic scope
2009--lateral meniscal allograft

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 01:09:09 AM »
I have had injections in my knee and my back, sadly to say no real help :(.  It moderated the pain in my back for about a week, but it wasn't worth the bother.  The shots in my knee we of no help at all.  I am glad to know it helps some people, wish I was one of them :P
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline huntley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »
I had total hip replacement3monthsago, then my knees  :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/started acting up. My doctor injected cortizone and lidocaine in both knees--wonderful, wonderful no pain of injections. Lasted about 2 months, starting to stiffen up. Question is, how long will cortizone injections last? Thank you---Wes

Offline phradil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 04:34:53 PM »
I had the same experience - no pain in the shots and it lasted about 3 months.  Now having Synvisc - second injection today.  

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 05:14:12 PM »
Hello all,

Cortisone is a temporary fix so I think about 3 months is the life of the relief you can get.  I would definitely ask your OS how many you should be getting a year.  I was always told that 3 was the max per knee per year but that could differ from OS to OS.  

Take care,
Heather

support