Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does this sounds like nerve pain  (Read 701 times)

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Does this sounds like nerve pain
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
Can anyone share their experience of nerve pain with me

I saw the physio this week who is sure I have nerve damage on my right knee.

Its a pain that starts at hip and radiates through the knee to the foot.  Particularly tender in my calf.  Sharp, really sore, I had MRI's before and I have OA, Osteoporosis and plica.  But this is something new.  I have meniscus degeneration also but I think this is something else.

It hurts at night which worries me and is pretty constant
plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline minnow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Does this sounds like nerve pain
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:51:51 AM »
Hi FJ,
It sounds like nerve pain. I too had pain that started at the hip/lower back and radiated to the knee and into the foot. Associated with mine was pins and needles in the foot. In my case it was associated with a slipped disc in my lower back and very tight ITB - plus walking funny for the last few years after knee surgery on the opposite leg. It caused the most unbelievable pain at night and was only relieved by hotpack,painkillers and a muscle rub (and even then not much), during the day it just ached. I had to have an MRI on my head and spine to rule out MS and permanent nerve damage and in the end the conclusion was that it was nerve pain associated with pinching in the lower spine, the ITB band and the ligament running along the outside of my knee into my foot. The physio worked on loosening up the spine/ITB band and ligament and it seems to help. It could also be sciatica which can run all the way to your foot in extended or severe cases - my understanding is the sciatica is basically nerve pain (of the sciatic nerve) so either way its sounds like nerve pain. My pain now comes and goes - almost always in the hip/lower back and gradually building up to the knee and then foot after not seeing the phsyio for a week or so. Warmth and self massage as well as physio have helped me.
Hope that helps!
1999 arthroscopes and scrape on both knees
1999 patella femoral realignment - left
2000 screw removal and scrape - left
2000 lateral release and scrape - left
2001 open lateral release - left
2002 ACL recon patella tendon - left

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:41:15 AM »
Sounds more like something coming from your back if you have pain all way from hip.
Make them check your back. There are good exercises that can be done if you have sciatica pain.
Talk with your physio.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline clkimbro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
I had pain in my shoulder after having surgery.  I went to a new doctor and he ordered an EMG to test the nerves.  The test did show that I had a slower response time in that shoulder.  He put me on Neurontin to help with the nerve pain.  I think this medicine did help a lot with my pain.  I had surgery again to rebalance my shoulder and the doctor addressed my nerve issue at the same time.  Turns out I had a pinched nerve from scar tissue around the nerve.  He released the pressure and I have been doing better since.

support