Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery again???  (Read 906 times)

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Surgery again???
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
I was told last week I may need to have another scope, to remove bone fragments, and possibly fix medial meniscus. My concern is I just had surgery  5 months ago, I had chodroplasty and a partical menisectomy (oh my god my spelling). One of the decissions my doc made in december was if he thought I was going to need a bone graft. He decided after the surgery that I didn't. BUT know I am wondering if that was the wrong decision, I mean if 5 months later I have bone fragments wouldn't that mean I do need the graft??? I have a "large" chondral defect on the lateral side of my right knee all stemming from dislocating my knee and chopping off the chondal which was about 20 something years ago.

I think that 2 surgerys in this time period is alot. Can't be good for the brain cells. And If I need a third(bone graft) I would have to do that during the summer. I am a teacher and try to do as much of this stuff during vacations, I teach young kids and I don't like to be out (control freak).

Anyone have this problem or knowledge of it I would really love to hear. My next appt. is in 10 days (they are calling if they have cancelations) and I am getting antzy.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Surgery again???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »
Is your surgeon good at these issues..is this his profession ? If not a second opinion to get more feed back about what to do would maybe be some help for you.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »
My surgeon is GREAT. I really like him and I researched surgeons untill I found this one. I've only been seeing him for 9 months. Before I changed docs I had a really BAD doctor, I can't even get into it with getting very mad and want to scream.......alot of bad words. lol.
 Anyways,My question wasn't so much about my doc being wrong but just concern about having 2 surgery is such a short time period. I think my doc really believed I was good for a year or 2. I don't think he relized how active I am. I tried to explain to him but I think he thought I was exaggerating. One thing I don't want to change is my lifestyle. I realize somethings have to stop but I have had issues with. It kills me that one part of my body can change a person. I try not to let it. The only thing is I have 2 kids and it stinks when my knee affects them. Thats what slows me down and makes me make decissions I don't want to. I want to play vollyball with my son, soccer with my daughter etc.... That being said, I am my daughters soccer coach she's 11 and I help with my son's baseball in the field whenever they need me...etc. I love to hike and walk for miles I used to walk 4 to 6 miles 5 days a week but inthe last year I have slowed down and lucky if I do 2 miles, ride a stationary bike and have started lifting again.The thing is that I have been in some pain lately and by the time I have time to work out I don't want to which is were the affect your life part is coming into play.That and I am getting grouchy....at least thats what my husband says. I think he's right!!! and its not pms, which is what most guys think when women are grouchy!

Hey by the way are you a mom of twin or a twin? Just curious...I'm a twin (her knees are fine.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:22:08 AM by lady »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:29:05 AM »
I don't know anything about that particular surgery but the surgery in general shouldn't be a problem. I had four surgeries in a 12 month period on different body parts, and I've had at least one per year for the past seven years. Hasn't effected my brain cells that I know of, at least not any more than what I did to them in high school and college.  :-X

trainwreck

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:41:09 AM »
Noone wants surgery much less multiple surgeries.  I understand your concern.  I ended up having three surgeries in less than 6 months. It did not cause me any problems at all. It isn't fun but shouldn't cause you any problems especially if you are otherwise healthy.
Sorry you have to go thru that. I know it isn't a pleasant experience but hopefully the outcome is worth it.
Good Luck to you.
Trainwreck

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:51:25 AM »
Lady, I just asked you about your surgeon as some surgeons can rush into surgery, but that seems not to be the issue here.
Sometimes multiple surgery in short time is necessery to correct the problems. Though I see your concerns about if that will cause problems in future.
But if you have a really good doc and trust him you should go ahead with surgery.
Nah, I'm not mom of twins..this with the twins is a bit complicated to explain. You can say like this that I did find my twin soul through this site.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:57:36 AM »
I was joking about the brain cells,alought it does make you think. I like to have local or spinal whenever possible. I did have a spinal  complication though and am nervous about that.
I'm a very busy can't sit still kinda person and don't know about being laid up, again. I don't know if I'm even going to need it. I'm having an MRI in 2 days and we'll see what happens.The thing is the last 2 MRI didn't show 1/2 the problems I had going on. 2 days ago I couldn't think straight with the constant ache but yesterday was mild and I even ran soccer paractice without a problem. We'll see about today.

support