Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: stinging  (Read 1567 times)

trainwreck

stinging
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:39:44 AM »
Hey
I am almost 4 weeks post op from a realignment and a bunch of other minor stuff on my left knee.  I have suddenly developed bad stinging in my incision.  I do have 2 small spots on my incision which drain small amounts continually so I keep a band aid on them.  I still am in a compression sleeve a cryo cuff and a full immobilizer. I do not think it is anything to be concerned about but it stings bad.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any ideas what could be causing it? Maybe I am rotting, I know I have been told I can be rotten.

any advice would be welcome.   Thanks
Allison

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: stinging
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:25:24 AM »
Hi Allison,

I would think your incision would be healed at 4 weeks OP and should not be leaking anymore  I had a realignment 2 weeks ago and my incision is healed with the exception of a few very small scabs and I do not remember anything like that with my realignment in 2001.  I would recommend calling your OS tomorrow to see if this normal.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Karen (KW)
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:21:10 AM »
Hi Allison...I agree with Karen. Id have it checked out. I never had a realignment, but I would think that after 4 weeks, it should be pretty well healed by now. Not sure what the stinging would be. Maybe a nerve? Let me know. Fingers crossed that its all just healing....

Donna :)
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:31:49 AM »
Allison,
i agree with Donna and Karen, i would call your os tomorrow, and see if you can get into see him. let me know what happens.
margaret
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:17:21 AM »
Allison,

I had one of my subcutaneous stitches that didn't dissolve pop through my incision, I can't remember how long post-op it was, but I think it was around 6-8 weeks, and it certainly wasn't painless.  Also, I got weird stinging sensations (still do) near my scar as some of the nerves grow back.  I'm more worried about the leaking though...time to call the OS, I should think.

Let us know...
Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:02:04 PM »
hi allison,
i also have had the stinging pain in my knee after my realignment,(14 weeks ago today)i had my stitches removed x 2 weeks afer the op and the wound opened a bit when the nurse pulled off the tape stuff (sorry don't know the technical name for it!!) and it weeped for a while,(she did not seem to concerned by this and never gave me anything to cover it with telling me the air getting to it was better for it?)even now i get some really strange sensations in the incision site,it has burned,felt like someone is stabbing it (from the inside out),it can feel very very tender as though i have grazed the skin off it when i touch it even slightly,and as though someone is sticking needles in it.
it can start suddenly without any cause for it to begin and go off as soon again,i generally get alot of my "twinges" in the evening.some of them have had me gritting my teeth with he discomfort.........if the weeping is a cause for concern i would definatley check this with your OS.
if there is anything i can help with please let me know!!
TAKE CARE!!
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

trainwreck

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:08:46 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone. I had pt yesterday and both pt and os said it iis nerve damage and regrowth causing the stinging.  They put me on neurontin.  It will get better with time. My knee is being hypersensitive. I'm sure that is due in part to multiple surgeries.  If the indision is still bleeding next week they'll throw a couple of stitches in.  OMG that will hurt.  There is an intersection where three scars intersect and the skin is just pulled too tight and thin.  It is definately red and irritated but no sign of infection.  That was good news.  I will gladly take it.
Thanks
Allison