Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible tendon tear???  (Read 1049 times)

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Possible tendon tear???
« on: May 01, 2007, 03:48:07 AM »
This morning I was walking down my stairs and both of my feet slipped off of the same stair.  I was holding onto the railing and had my other hand braced against the wall (a habit from surgery last year) so I was able to keep myself from falling.  Both of my knees took the pressure though and bent a little awkward.  It happened so fast I couldn't give much more detail than that.  But, I got myself together and sat down for a few moments and everything felt fine so I went to work, no pain to speak of in either knee.  Throughout the day I started to notice tenderness and pain just above my right knee.  I feel no pain, or very minimal discomfort, when I am walking but the pain kicks in when I am sitting and I am not able to bend my knee past 90 degrees right now.  Over the 13 hours since this incident happened the pain is getting worse and my mobility has decreased. 

The pain is right where my tendon connects to the muscle.  Since the pain is above my knee and I am not able to fully bend my knee I am under the impression that I may have partially torn my tendon.  I am using ice right now and will be going to soak in an epsom salt bath shortly.  I have taken 3 Aleve for pain and to avoid swelling.  From what I am able to describe, can you tell me if you think my own diagnosis may be correct, or do you have any other thoughts you can share with me???  I am going to be on a flight in 3 days and my lack of mobility has me concerned about sitting on a plane comfortably....
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline VanillaBeanGonzo

• Regular Poster
Re: Possible tendon tear???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:16 AM »
You definitely are right by using ice and soaking. Elevate and try to rest as much as possible.
Aleve is a perfect choice for any pain and muscle inflammation. I went to my orthopedist
today after falling on my knee at school and having these same symptoms.

My doctor told me to do everything you are doing now and also is sending me for an MRI. If I were you I would have this checked out ASAP
just to be safe ;)

I hope you feel better!!
February 2002--Popliteal cyst and Cartilage Repair

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
Re: Possible tendon tear???
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:54 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Luckily my pain faded away after 3 days and I got full mobility back as well.  I did a lot of walking on it over the past week and it is holding up with no pain - so I am thinking I just strained or bruised the tendon or muscle.  It was a big scare to me and luckily I started a new job that will allow me to have insurance fairly quickly!   :)
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

support