Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: unilateral patellar and trochlear ACI - 4/27/07  (Read 25456 times)

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: unilateral patellar and trochlear ACI - 4/27/07
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
No, I don't have any swelling or pain in the knee after the race.   When I do run, I am aware of the knee, but I'm really not sure if it's just that I'm paying too much attention to it.  I'm hoping that as I get back into running, it will feel more "normal" to me.
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »
Great news!  Congrats on that.  I often wonder if getting back to pre-surgery form kind of means exactly that for each of us.  I haven't been able to run a mile since I hurt myself playing softball in college... years ago.  By the time I had surgery, I couldn't walk a mile without tons of pain, and I couldn't really ride a bike without tons of pain.  So, I wonder if that means I might not ever run again, but will be able to get back to aggressive biking and walking and workouts.  I would love to get back to some sports, but I'll take anything I get over and above what life was before the ACI. 

I hope it all keep improving for you and you get back to some successful, serious running!!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:53 AM »
I just had my 3 year followup visit for my left knee aci of the patella & trochlea (although it is a few weeks short of 3 years), so I thought I'd post an update.

My surgeon seemed very happy with my xrays (nice looking patellofemoral joint).  The 2 issues I had for him were 1) some pain where my TTO screws are, especially when running and 2) did he have any concerns about my trying to increase my running (I've been running 3 miles three times a week).

When he pushed on my screws, it really hurt, so the plan is to take them out sometime soon (I'm waiting for his assistant to get back to me about scheduling).

He told me I could go ahead & try to increase my mileage, so we shall see how that goes.

If anyone is interested, I'm blogging about my attempt to return to running:

http://returntorunning-djs60.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to those less far down the road than I am; it's been tough at times, but at this point I can say with some confidence that I'm glad I had the surgery.

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
Here's a 3.5 year update:

I just got back from a cycling vacation in Colorado & Utah to mark my 50th birthday last month.  It was a challenging trip: I rode 416 miles over 5 days, with about 20,000 feet of climbing.  This is the biggest test form my knee since my surgery.  My quads are pretty sore, but the knee seems fine.  No swelling at all.  I did notice some stiffness after getting off the plane yest (Denver to Boston), but seems OK this am.  One of the nice things about the trip was that we had a massage therapist traveling with us, and I indulged in a daily massage.  I noticed my right quad (non-operated leg) was more sore than the left, which makes me wonder if I am subtly favoring my "bad" knee.

This was the most I've asked my knee to do since the surgery (patellotrochlear ACI), so I'm happy it seems to have done well. 

Moving forward, I am planning to try to bump up my running.  I am by no means certain this will go well, but I think it's time to find out.  I've been a little reluctant to push my running beyond the 10-12 miles a week I've been doing, mostly because I'm a little afraid to find out I cannot do it.

I will post updates on my blog:  http://returntorunning-djs60.blogspot.com

Good recoveries to all,

djs60
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:26:58 PM by djs60 »

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
I realized I did not comment on my screw removal, which was at the end of May.

It was a trivial procedure (although done under general anesthesia).  I had no pain after, and the slight pain I had been getting in the tibial area while running went away,

djs60

cdubb

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Glad you just posted on this because I'm not sure I would have looked so far back for a thread.  I'm having a patella ACI w/ AMZ on Wednesday (11/3/10), so it's really great to see such a great success story!

Offline Dennis BadKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for posting updates.  As you see, we are watching your lead.  You are an inspiration.  Looking forward to your personal log.

Regards,
Dennis

Offline stevejill91

• Regular Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2010, 02:25:45 AM »
since its been a while do you have any pain or tenterness under load