Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL revision: any corollation between age and success?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline LeftKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL revision: any corollation between age and success?
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:26 PM »
I'm mulling over conflicting opinions re: ACL revision.  Primary recon was 5 yrs ago with an allograft that has stretched enough to have positive pivot shift on exam, and my own personal pivot shifts several times a day.  One doc says not worth doing revision given my age (46-year old fit and active woman) and to limit/change my activities;  other doc says results aren't guaranteed, but is likely to at least allow me to contiinue current activities longer. Both docs have convinced me that my soccer days are over (bummer!)  So, any info out there re: the role age plays in the results of revision?
Thanks

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL revision: any corollation between age and success?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
Older patients are more likely to be compliant... commited to rehab...pain tolerant..  and less involved in personal dramas....   I know of at least one OS that prefers patients over 40...  There are no studies that correlate age to recovery but...

studies do show that allograft revisions fail at rates of 4 to 6 times higher than autograft revisions...   

MHO - success depends much more on the experience and methods of the surgeon than the age of the patient given that there are no other age related issues with the knee...  Get a great surgeon and get your knee fixed....   dont give up what you love...
cheers
Kai
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

support