Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: reconstruction medial patella ligament.....  (Read 1555 times)

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
reconstruction medial patella ligament.....
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »

Hi all,
This is my first post so here goes!!!!
I am currently waiting on a date for the above op!
I have suffered with recurrent dislocation of my patella for years,And many other problems!!
after many arthoscopys and a trillat procudure my dislocations did stop shame i cant say the same thing about the pain!!
i had mri's and my consultant decided to remove the screws. after about 7 years post trillat/removal of screws,
my dislocations have started again 
this is how my consultant has come to this outcome-reconstruction medial patella ligament....
i would be very grateful for ANY information on this subject from ANYONE who can shed some light??
i still havent recieved a date as my hospital has kindly lost my notes and wont be able to operate untill they show up!!!
so god knows how long i will be waiting!!!!
many thanks for your time
lisa.
Long term knee pain, for 15 years plus,
clicking,giving way,recurrent dislocations
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
reconstruction medial patella ligament.
may 07
recovering and more recovering!!!!!
Lisa.p
  x

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: reconstruction medial patella ligament.....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I;ve also had man dislocations but not the type of surgery you describe so I won't be much use to you unfortunately. All I can really tell you is how to recover properly and keep the pain at bay.

What I really wanted to say was that you certainly don't have to wait for the hospital to find your medical notes in order to continue with a specific course of treatment, whether that be major surgery or more conservative treatment. All your medical history should be on their computer database and temporarily, they can print off and produce another set of mock p notes which can eventually be married up to your original notes once found.

I think you should contact the hospital or your OS again and suggest this. Then you should push for a date for your surgery so you don't have to wait too long.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:33:25 PM »
Hi Laura,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yeah i used to work in the hospital im under so i know that in times of need they can perform without my casenotes!!
im hoping they will find them as al my prievious will be in them and its always nice to no that they can use these if ness!!
however im not waiting for them to show up!! im waiting on the cancellation list as i know the inpatient waiting list co ordinator!!
as my consultant is chockablocka!!! its funny i worked for them for 5 years and not once did i have a prob with my notes now ive gone so have they!!! weird!!! i had to go to a+e the other day as my back was soo painfull the doctor suspects it is related to my knee so i cant wait for the op! i just really want some advice on the op and post op recovery,pain etc
so any one out there??????.........
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
may 07
Lisa.p
  x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:56:36 PM »
HI LISA!!
I HAVE HAD A REALIGNMENT OPERATION DONE RECENTLY ON MY KNEE AS THE PATELLA WAS WAY OUT OF LINE AFTER AN ACCIDENT I HAD,IS THIS SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU ARE HAVING DONE???
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
hi!!!
thanks for your time.
To be honest im not 100% what exactly is involved in the op im due to have!!
this is why i need as much help as i can grab!!
my consultant quickly mentioned something about re postioning my hamstring to secure my patella.
and i will be in a cage post op.
This is all i have to go on so far!!!]
i hope you are recovering post op and the physio is helping with the movement.
x
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
may 07
Lisa.p
  x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:51:19 PM »
hi there again! im not sure what your op is either but i had a similar sounding op to you.
my VMO muscle was worked on and tighened to help realign my kneecap to tighen it up to hold it in place.i wore a brace for six weeks 24/7.........i hope it goes well and someone on the site can help! is there any info on your op in the dictionary on this site or have you tried to google it?? there may be something in the archives on this site that google may bring up!

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
hi there! ive just googled "reconstruction medial patella ligament" for you and there is quite alot of sites it brings up!!

one of them is..................http://www.orthopedictechreview.com/issues/jan05/case.htm
not sure if this is the same thing as you are having??? .........
is it also called the "reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament?"

if this is the same as you are having in the dictionary on this site in the home page under "medial patello-femoral ligament" there is a couple of links also;
http://www.orthoclinic.co.za/art_mpfl.html and there is another but it doesn't seem to work!

the dictionarys translation of  "medial patello-femoral ligament" is.....................

The medial patello-femoral ligament is a small but important ligament stretching from the inner aspect of the patella (knee cap) to the femur bone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It acts as a passive restraint, helping to keep the patella properly aligned. It has an anatomical relationship, too, with the important VMO muscle (part of the quadriceps), and tearing the medial patello-femoral ligament makes the VMO incompetent.

hope this may be some help!!

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:07:24 PM »
Hi claire,
Cheers 4 ur info sounds pretty similar?
i have searched on this site for the procudure and i had not much luck doesnt seem a popular subjet on this site??/
im thinking there could be lots of terms of this op???
im not sure if ive used the dictionary where will i find that???
x
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
may 07
Lisa.p
  x

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »
Claire,
Wow thanks so much i searched under ask and although i found quite alot none of it was of much use
Thanks so much for ur research what a star!!
xx
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
may 07
Lisa.p
  x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 10:30:02 PM »
hi there ........thats no problem at all!!
i never found this site until 2 weeks after my op and went into my op knowing very little about the procedures and was shocked when i'd had it done as i was not prepared aall for what it would be like afterwards and don't feel the nurse did either at the pre-op brief!

my OS gave me his own term for the op title rather then the technical term,so i never actually found out the technical term til i fell down the stairs and had to call the surgery unit to ask them what it was technically called so i could tell a&e when i got there!
it was hard getting dvice on here to as no-one knew what id had done by the surgeons wording of the op!!

if another name for your op is "medial patello-femoral ligament" there is heaps on "google" for this!!!

i searched with the words; "medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction"................

there is even a video is you are not squeamish!!
the link is; http://www.orthosupersite.com/default.asp?page=view&rid=5517

one of my "cyber friends" i have "met" on here has had a "mpfl" reconstruction,her diary is named "LighthouseFan's MPFL Recon. & LR post-op diary"
for more info on her operation, also on the search box on this site (top left hand site of the screen) if you search "mpfl recon/or mpfl reconstruction it brings up a few other peoples diarys aswell for you to read!!

hope this helps too!!

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 08:50:14 PM »
I have had fun with this.  The doctor reconstructed my medial patellar ligament, and then he also did a tendon transplant (also known as an allograft).  I really don't understand a lot of the jargon that the doctor has thrown at me over this course of years, but I do know that the MPFL was reconstructed.  It didn't cause me a lot of recovery problems.  My major problems have been pain in the bone around the screw areas, and rotational problems now. I have noticed that pressure in certain parts of my knee is more painful since the surgery that I had 2 years ago, due to the miniature hardware store in my knee and the new location of the tendon that he "dovetailed" around my knee.
It still seems that my quads don't want to do much work, and my hamstring I am to strengthen, so that I can go in for some sort of ACL reconstruction surgery, called a Losee procedure.  How much can they rebuild in a knee before they have done TOO much?

Angie
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »

I have had the MPFL reconstruction about 10 months ago.  I had had a LR, VMO advancement, and the trillat TTT.  The pain and dislocations never really stopped although I did have a few years where my knee was more stable than it was before the TTT.  I would consider the surgery a success.  It has not taken away all of the problems, but my quality of life has dramatically improved.  Most of the time I do not have pain which is a big difference from before the surgery.  There are times that it is still pretty sore, mostly when i overdo it or the weather.  My knee is now stable and I am slowly trying to trust my knee again and believe that it wil behave.

Good luck with the surgey.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline lisa.p

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
Hi all,
Firstly i would like to apoligise to all those that have sent replys to me i have had a family crisis and was unable to get onto this....
if i dont reply to you im not being horrid just really snowed under at present...

Claire i would like to thank you as you seem to have answered all my questions and found so much info for me you have been great i started reading lighthousefans podt op diary which was bril as she had same op and was really intreasting reading what when,where...... (i only got to page 8 so far....!!)
the videos were also really intreasting.
i will be in touch asap...
Hope all is well with you and the knee's!!!
take care spk soon
xxxx
many years of physio
loads of arthoscopys
trillait procudure
mri/xrays
removal of screws
some more dislocations
may 07
Lisa.p
  x

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
hi lisa!!
im glad the info was of help to you and im so sorry to hear you are having family problems,i hope they are soon resolved,knee problems are enough to deal with on their own without added stuff going wrong at home aswell!!
don't worry about not posting,i have not been here as often as usual as im back at work now.its so-ooooo tiring.
take care,
claire x

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 10:40:47 PM »
Lisa

I just wanted to make sure that you looked at the post op diary that I and 2 others posted in with the MPFL reconstruction.  It was burried since no one is posted in a while but it has the 3 of us that had different experiences.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28201.0

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

support