Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Spinning classes after TKR  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Blitzy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Spinning classes after TKR
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:56:04 PM »
I had my TKR last Feb and it went perfectly!  Although I put on some weight afterward due to the inability to work out like I'm used to, once I was able to get back to it last May I've  been excersising regulary using the Elliptical machine which is just not enough!
Recently I started adding Spinning classes twice a week. 

Has anyone out there taken spinning as part of rehab and strengthening?  If so, any problems?  I don't want to screw my TKR up but I'm only 51 and VERY active.  The Elliptical and treadmill just arent' cutting it.

Lynn

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Spinning classes after TKR
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »
Isn't spinning just riding a stationary bike? I always wondered why people would take a class for that sort of thing. At any rate, riding a bike is great for knees. I've been doing it since less than a month after my PKR. My doc has even cleared me for mountain biking. As always of course, you should check with your doc first.

Offline Blitzy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
I live in LA so riding on the street is out of the question.
Spinning is riding a stationary bike but it has resistance (1-10) that you manipulate as you ride hills/sprints and different terrains.
You burn a minimum of 500 calories in a 50 minute class.  It's awesome
I just want to make sure that I'm not going to wear out this new knee.

L

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »
Hmm, well I have a stationary bike in my house. I can change the resistance at will and don't need a special class to do it. It counts how many calories I burn, my heart rate, etc. I burn an average of 100 calories every 10 minutes, same as you. Guess spinning is a California thing. Mountain biking is a lot more fun though. You don't ride in the street but on trails in the woods. I can't ride on the roads around my house either. The only way to avoid wearing out your knee is to stay in bed which, of course, would defeat the whole purpose of having it replaced in the first place. I'm only 49 so I know I'll be needing at least one revision in my lifetime. I'm not going to let it stop me from living though.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 07:41:51 PM »
Spinning is ok.. you are not weight bearing during spinning.   Things like baseball or volleyball, football, soccer, moutain climbing,professional wrestling. running..  I would ask about ice skating..  Best bet is to ask your OS before doing something you will regret

support