Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possible retear of meniscus with no swelling?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline sandyerez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible retear of meniscus with no swelling?
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:17:05 AM »
Hi friends. its nice to read that other idiots like me get reinjured. I am a runner and just last year had a partial menistomy (lateral) on a knee that already has no ACL and no medial meniscus (gymmastic injury from 30 years ago). A few days ago I stupidly was doing cardio latin dance and in a squat movement pivoted and heard a GIANT CRACK. nothing hurt nor swelled and I was able to run the next 2 times with no problem at all. 4 days later I couldn;t  run - my knee felt weak, unstable and hurt after about 10 minutes of running. same thing next attempted run a few days later and now my knee hurts on the outside and somewhat in the back. I went to my surgeon who said - very possibly a tear in the lateral periphery (they already took out the inner lateral) and I am devasted. I finally felt I was getting back from a long recouperation and wanted to train for a marathon after running half's. I have no swelling whatsoever, very little pain (except on the outside of the joint) and no stiffness or locking. The doc said it could heal on its own if there's a blood supply. we have to wait, do physio and see. Anyone know of CRACKING (sounded like bone on bone) of the knee without a tear? like bruising or something? 

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Possible retear of meniscus with no swelling?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »
Did you have any x-rays or MRI?  I would think that woud be necessary with everything else you have wrong with your knee.  Good luck!
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
Cracking can mean anything really. When I first tore my ACL I didn't hear any sound. When I tore the ligaments in my ankle it made a very sickening noise. Despite my ACL being torn completely in half, I never had much swelling or redness. I was also able to walk on it in a few days. Unfortunately, your knee is very unstable without an ACL and within 6 months I had torn my lateral meniscus. I had my ACL rebuilt 17 years after the injury because the injury happened in 1973 when they didn't know how to fix such things.

That being said, you should think about getting the ACL rebuilt before you even think about returning to running or dancing. You've already damaged your knee beyond repair but you may be able to avoid more injury.

Offline sandyerez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
Hi Nola - thanks for the reply. They want to do a CT with Arthogram but told me even if there is a tear they won't do anything because it might heal by itself - so everyone and their uncle are yelling at me not to undergo more radiation unless necessary (I have already done about 7 CTs in the last 4 years. So on one hand I want to know on the other hand its not going to be that helpful at this point except to probably make me crazy.

Offline sandyerez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
Jathib thanks for your imput. The surgeon has suggested ACL recon (I am 47 years old) but I heard its long and painful. I also lost my ACl in 1973 (great year for that apparently!) so it wasn't even an option. Are you a runner also?

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
I don't know, now a days CT's don't emit that much irradiation 7 CT's in 4 years is not excessive medically.  Besides it may give you a definitive diagnosis and whether you heal on your own at least you know what your opponent is.  Why not an MRI, much safer etc? I would exercise much easier, train more at ease if I knew what I had done and what my limits would be.  I would opt for the test! then go from there!
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:23 PM »
Yes, ACL recon is long and painful but it's essential if you want to continue being active. You can, as you know, live without one if you don't mind being unstable. Knowing what I know now, if it had been an option in 1973, I would have done the surgery immediately. If I ever tear the other ACL I won't hesitate even at age 49.. I just had a PKR 4 months ago on the lateral side of my knee. That meniscus tear and resultant arthritis was a direct result of having an unstable knee.

I'm not a runner. If I was I would have quit years ago knowing how bad it is for knees. I swim mostly but also ride a mountain bike. Both of the sports have served me well over the years as far as keeping my knee strong and mobile.