Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Seeking Knee advise. thanks in advance  (Read 891 times)

Offline brandonvk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Seeking Knee advise. thanks in advance
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:03:27 AM »
Hi my name is Brandon, and i have a problem. I am 23 years old, and have been fairly active most of my life. i played soccer, baseball, basketball, and for the longest time hockey. i have been playing sports since i was about 8. when i was 14 i was playing pool with my brothers on vaction. i leaned down, and twisted my body in an awkward postion to take a shot. at that moment in time i felt a sharp pain explode in my right knee. i fell to the groundand looked at my leg. my leg was stuck in the bent position, with my foot firmly pressed against my "butt". i reached down and noticed that my kneecap was stuck behind my leg, obviously where it didnt belong. after about 10 minutes of being in serious pain my leg started contracting in a violent motion. not knowing what to do i grabbed my kneecap from behind and started working it to the front of my leg again. as i popped my kneecap back into place, the tension in my leg released and my leg extended to normal. my knee area had swoollen to almost twice the size of the other, and i layed on the floor for about 2 hours before i could stand up.

this is the most serious of the occurences, and it has happened 3 complete times since, once turning the corner to go into my room, another time moping the floor at work, and another jumping and then landing. my knee popped all the time when i walked for the longest time.

as for today, if i get into the crouched position, after about 3 minutes my feet start to go numb, and i have to pull myself back up to the standing position using anyone or anything around me. over the last couple months, i noticed if i go into work at 8am, by 2 pm my knee is sore and swollen. my job involves standing all day at a grocery store. if i run in a straight line from one end of the store to another, my knees will hurt so bad and i will limp the rest of the day. i still play hockey, and the reason i still can is because the kneepads hold my knee together. if feel limited and and very scared to do anything physical for fear of my knee floating behind my leg again. when i sleep i keep my legs bent and i keep pillows between my knees because they hurt all night. i keep them bent because one time i was relaxing with my legs extended, and my right kneecap slid to the right, but i freaked out and caught it before it made its way to the back of my leg.

i havent been to a doctor, and i need to go, but as you all know sometimes the best advise comes from the people with similar experiences.  i feel that because i am 23 i cannot enjoy and experience things like i would like to becasue of my fear of my knee going psycho again.sorry for the life story but i have no shorted way to explain it.

thanks to everyone who replies, i do appreciate your thoughts and insight ;D

Brandon von Kaenel

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Seeking Knee advise. thanks in advance
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:13:52 AM »
Brandon, go see a OS and make him/her evaluate the knee.
Maybe you have damages in there after the dislocations, like tears on ligaments and cartilage damages.
Could also be so that your knee still is pretty OK and with help from strenghten muscles with phys or with a brace that you can get along better.
But first of all you need to check the knee out.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline maria1985

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »
you could be making your whole situation worse by not visiting a doctor you need to get professional advice otherwise it will get alot worse and it will continue like that. i know what it's like the fear of doing anything because you're scared of what will happen to the knee, it's frustrating and irritating. whilst on this site we can all offer support and our own personal opinions at the end of the day you will always need the help of a professional for a proper diagnosis.
i wish you all the best.

maria.xx
chronic knee pain since 10 years old.
lateral release in 2000
goldwaithes in 2002
2 weeks intensive physio in 2005
nowhere near to finding the course of the problem.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:12:28 PM »
As the other posters have said, the best advice anyone can give you is to see a doctor. There's no getting around that. You're risking major damage to your knee. Your quality of life is already effected and it only gets worse from there. So go.