Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PCL  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
PCL
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:49 PM »
Has anyone ever torn their PCL? My faience's sister did when she was playing soccer last year and her Dr. told her it would be fine if she did PT. She has problem with it swelling up to 2 or 3X the size it should be, she is going to see the OS who did my TTT to see what she can do. (she has had this problem for over a year) Thanks for your help!
Stacey
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002
Right leg TTT and LR- May 11, 2006
Screw removal December 2006
Left leg TTT and LR- May 17, 2007
Screw Removal September 2007

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: PCL
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »
If you have tear on LCL and PCL you necessery doesn't need surgery as these can heal if the tear isn't completely.
What have they done to check her knee as she might have more damages, has she had x-rays, Mri ?
For how long has she done PT ? What exercises is she doing ?
A tear can take time to heal. I have a tear on my LCL (same as PCL but lateral side) and my OS and phys says count with at least 6 months.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:00:04 AM »
She tore it completely, and it happened over a year ago. She just had a MRI done with a new OS and he has told her she needs surgery because there are now bone shavings or something else in there. She has done PT with a therapist and with a sports medical tech at her high school. I am almost sure they are going to do surgery but she is looking for what to expect, she is nervous... and doesn't want to come on here herself... thanks for your help!!
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:01:58 AM »
If you feel unsure about what surgery the OS is talking about, then call back and have another chat with him. Get the name of the procedure and also make him explain better. Also get educated by reading here. If your daughter is wellinformed about the procedure then I am sure she will feel more calm.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:15:12 AM »
thanks  ;D
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
Your fiances sister seems like a really good candidate for a PCL reconstruction.  Generally conservative treatment is tried first and surgery is only done for persistant, functional instability.  Given that she is having some degenerative changes surgery will be her best option to maintain the long term health of her knee. 

In order to help her recover quickly she should begin a pre-operative strengthening program for her knee.  This will greatly help her after surgery since she will have less muscle to regain.  Also, make sure that her surgeon has done a large number of PCL reconstructions.  These are not simple as an ACL and to treat it as such would be disastorous for her knee. 

Check out this website, it has some great information on it http://www.cincinnatisportsmed.com/csmref/index.asp?ipath=../csm/patedu/knee/pcl.htm

Here is also a typical rehab protocol which will help her know what to expect after surgery.  http://www.cincinnatisportsmed.com/protocols/PCL.pdf

Hope this helps
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Stacey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks I will pass this info on and let her know! Thanks for the help!!!!
21 years old
L- LR 2002
R- LR 2002

support