Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee problems for 16 years  (Read 845 times)

Offline Issy76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee problems for 16 years
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:14:48 PM »
The first time I went to the doctors about my knee pain was when I was 14 (I am now 30). I was a normal active teenager. The doctor told me it was growing pains and I would grow out of it. Since then I have been back to the doctors about three times about my knee pain. The last time, about 4 years ago, I was sent to get x-rays done and go the physiotherapist. The x-rays came back normal and the physio told me I had slightly short hamstrings and gave me some exercises to do. The pain I have is continual dull ache, seizing up so that I have to keep straigheting my leg until my knee joint clicks and the pain subsides, and excrutiating pain if I don't have room to move my legs so my knees can click. For about the last year I have felt my knees getting weaker as I find it harder to get out of low cars, stand up from a squat position even whilst supporting myself. My lifestyle has become more sedantry as I have an office job but I do walk a lot, especially with my dog. I am 10 stone and 5'2". My left knee is worse than my right but both are painful.

I am worried that the doctors might have missed something. I will go back to the doctors but am interested to hear if anyone recognises these symtoms as anything else.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Knee problems for 16 years
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:20:41 PM »
Unless you have arthritis, x-rays are pretty much useless. They will only show bones and not soft tissue. Most of the things that happen to knees happen in the soft tissue so you would need an MRI to really get a better look.

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Knee problems for 16 years
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:12:05 AM »
If I got the conversion right you weigh about 135 pounds.  Your knee should not hurt it is not like your grossly over weight.  Get a second opinion.  Doctors miss things they are only human.  Go to an otropedic doctor.