Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Questions for arthritis sufferers  (Read 1151 times)

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Questions for arthritis sufferers
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:42:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to how fast your arthritis has progressed, particularly those of you who had early onset arthritis due to meniscectomies or other surgeries. 

A little history...I am 31 years old and have had multiple surgeries for meniscus and articular cartilage problems.  I've lost about 75% of my medial meniscus and 50% of my lateral meniscus.  My most recent issues have been to deal with a grade IV focal defect on the lateral femoryl chondyle.  When I had my OATS surgery last August, the cartilage in the medial compartment was looking surprisingly good, only some very minor wear.  I had an MRI this month (still having lateral pain; bone plugs from OATS hav not yet healed) and it shows some grade II with some potential grade IV degeneration, with the early formation of bone spurs. 

My main conern is that this seems awfully fast to have these types of changes in the knee, especially since over this period I have been mainly focusing on rehabbing from the OATS.  I haven't had more pain than just the normal dull pain that comes and goes (more of my pain is still lateral post-OATS pain).  I am aware that accelerated degeneration in the knee is basically guaranteed for me, but I was hoping that it would hold off for a little while.  I know I'm not nearly at the point of having major problems, and that there are many options to deal with the pain once it really sets in, but it's definitely looming out there. 

I'll certainly discuss this with my OS in my next visit, but I'd love any input any of you have.  As you all know, it's incredibly frustrating knowing it's just going to get worse but not knowing when it will really hit.  I keep trying to tell myself that it's not that bad now, to take advantage of this and do everything I can to prevent further wear, but some days it's certainly harder to keep a positive view on everything.

Thanks for any input you have!
Sarah

7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Questions for arthritis sufferers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »
Hi Sarah~

I'm 19 and have had 5 surgeries on my knees in a period of approximately a year and a half.  The surgery that my new found OS believes that the arthritis is a result of a Fulkerson TTT and Lateral Release that wasn't done correctly.  On that knee, I had the TTT on June 2nd, 2005 and I was formally diganosed with osteoarthritis in July of this past year.  Like you, I can't believe how fast this arthritis has progressed.  Granted, it could have probably been there for awhile before the diagnosis, but still, that's a short period of time!  Arthritis runs very high in my family so I guess I was doomed to get it anyways!

I kind of lost hope in ever fixing my knees until I found two surgeons who have been nothing short of a blessing. The OS I'm seeing now is working hard to stop the progression of the OA as well as letting me get back to my normal function.  I'm very VERY hopeful we'll be able to solve this!

Best of luck to you and know you're not alone!!

~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I'm 51 and probably already had some OA in my knees before I injured the right one.  I'm opposite of you, my medial meniscus is 75% gone (no problems with lateral so far).  I however progressed from Stage I OA to Stage IV with medial femoral chondyle.  It progressed very fast with the initial surgery in 2005 and another this January.  I now have a " very large" lesion.  I was told on the initial surgery that the debreidment may help or may make things worse.  Thanks knee - it got worse.  My left knee also has some OA but very mild at this point. 

So, I think unfortunately it is quick.  Hopefully they can help you not get worse. 

I wish you the very best.

Stay well,
Deborah

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »
I tore my lateral meniscus and ACL at the age of 15. I think I was 31 when I was first diagnosed with arthritis but that's only because I hadn't been to a doctor before that. I kept my knee strong by biking and swimming over the years and made it all the way to 49 before I needed a partial knee replacement. That was the 7th surgery on my knee.  Most doctors figured I'd never make it that far but keeping my knee mobile seems to have been the key.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »

I never had any problems with my knee until I twisted it at work 2 years ago. It seems, that that one injury was all it took. Seemed to irritate the arthritis, that was obviously in there already, and this is when they noticed the arthritis in my right knee as well. (so far so good with that). Its amazing how one twist, fall, etc. can flare things up. I am 42.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:02:46 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!  It's nice to know that it's not just me progressing this fast (well, not that I want any of you going through this, just nice to know I'm not alone). 

I discussed this a bit with my physical therapist this morning and he was a bit surprised with the MRI report, though it was obvious that the radiologist did not have my surgical history based on his findings.  I'll talk more with my doctor when I see him in May.

I definitely plan on staying active, once I deal with this down time.  I've given up running and triathlons but still can ride and swim, so I'm hoping that will keep the knee strong and mobile.  Hopefully I can go for at least a few years without having another surgery.  At the time of my OATS in August, my OS said that I'd likely be due for another surgery in 5-10 years - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can last that long!

Hope all your knees are feeling good today!  I'm slowly working my way of my crutches (again) right now and it's feeling good to walk again.  I just hope this time off the knee did the trick this time.

Take care,
Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

support