Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?  (Read 141471 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
Hi Nick

I don't think it would be cheeky to call the hospital and see if you can see Mr Green. I think at least they would know that was your preference and you might have a better chance of him actually looking at the knee. You've been more than patient with seeing his registrars so it would be nice to see the top chap.

I agree on the steroid injections - too many aren't good for the joint but invasive surgery would be a higher risk at the moment so I shall explore the injection results first when my current hay fever one wears off.

Its frustrating with your physio but you do have a lot of knowledge now youself and can take things forwards - you've made good progress and the swimming sounds like it is another chance to work the legs without impact. I do know how you feel about running - I was never a big runner but I see people in their running kit on these lovely sunny evenings and it would be nice to head off to a trail for a 30 minute jog and get some fresh air. I physically can run, but it seems to shake my knees with every step and I know it isn't doing my narrowing joint spacing much good so I'll stay away. Still miss it though.

Good luck next week

Lottie x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 74
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »
Hi Lottie,

I will give the hospital a ring on Monday afternoon after work or chat to my physio on the phone if he knows if Mr Green in Clinic that day as he lives in the same Village as him and had a scope done by him. My physio tried to arrange for me to see Mr Green at my last consultation and sent me a message on the day of the appointment, saying he is not working in the clinic that day.

I think he does work Tuesdays on the NHS and if I cannot contact the hospital can asked one the nurses on the day of consultation if I could see Mr Green rather then his Registrar. Not long now 3 days to go.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »
Clarkey it looks like you have done botox injections. Let me know how those went.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Hi Kefu,

Sorry for the late reply back, I have been very busy lately sorting out some personal issues. I am sorry to say that the Botox injection into the tensor fascia lata in September 2013, followed by PT made has made no difference to my right injured knee.

I am now waiting for an MRI scan and will be seeing my OS again, we will then decide the next stage of treatment to hopefully get me back running again.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Hi All,

Finally having an MRI scan done one my right knee tomorrow morning 13/02/14 @7:40am. Botox injection and PT did not help my question is my OS jumping ahead too much as he has not yet tried to see if a cortisone injection might help ease the pain and swelling at the bottom of the kneecap.

I have so far had 2 injections in total 2009 pre op and 2010 post op and may be 3rd time lucky and may really help benefit my right knee injury after a heavy fall on black ice in January 2013. Or is it the next best option to go for an MRI scan at this stage of my injury!

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
Hi All,

It has been a fair while since my last update, a lot has happened since February 2014. The Botox injection never really helped ending up with scope #2 AIR surgery in July 2014 for excessive scarring from scope #1 of medical plica excision and fat pad trimming. 

Post op to scope #2 I have had two cortisone injections in a space of five months of this year May to October 2015. Both injections have not made any difference apart from numbing the pain slightly! I am still limping and have not been unable to run sine January 2013.

For me having cortisone injections does not work for my on-going right knee problems. It depends what is wrong with the knee. It can be very beneficial for many patients experiencing knee pain and discomfort on a daily basis.

I think I have now peaked the minimum amount of safe cortisone injections as too many is not good for the knee as it can increase arthritis in the knee!

A cortisone injection is a short term fix rather than a long term fix to delay the need for any further surgical procedures.

[email protected]

support