Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?  (Read 141206 times)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 02:51:28 AM »
Any cortisone shots I've had, in the knees and shoulders (ones in the feet did nothing), have lasted about 7 weeks. ALthough I wish they lasted longer, they do work really well for  me. As people's reactions differ, your results may be longer, shorter, or no results at all.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline sylgerenrda

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • TTT Done l0-l5-08 Riverside, California-Rt Knee
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:04:53 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum.  Just read about how long corticone injection last?  I just had one 2 weeks ago and still feel great.  I've been getting one every 3 months.  Sometimes they work for a week and the next time up to l month.  I keep putting off my tkr off this way.  But my life style has changed so much, I am realizing that surgery is a must.  Will go to dr. to make appt for the surgery in a month.
 So glad to read all of the interesting stories of others that have gone before me.  Sylvia
SYLVIA

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
Mine is not doing to badly I am about six weeks with a little pain creeping in but did have a few twinges at the three week mark but otherwise not doing to badly.  Was due for another one but seeing the OS next week and did not want to mask the pain.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline SmplySweet1021

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
I had a cortisone injection in my knee on Friday and it is like a miracle! I am walking almost normally and the pain is reduced by 90%. I am now afraid this wont last.

I have severe osteoarthritis after the removal of my medial meniscus 25 years ago. I am taking Mobic 15 mg per day, which I hope will now be more effective since the inflammation seems to have calmed. I was at about the end of my rope pain-wise, so I am so happy this has worked. I just hope it lasts for a long time?

What has been everyone's experience with this?

I'm 22 years old, had my first cortisone shot in my knee beginning of February and it's beginning to wear off now. Though I've had about 10ish in my right ankle and it's been 5+ years and those are still working. Though those were used to break up scar tissue.

The cortisone shot is after the Supartz didn't work for me.
2005 - Blown PCL & LCL due to Riding Accident, Surgery to repair
2006 - New Surgeon due to Problems
2007 Scope & 2 non dissolving screws still in knee
Supartz, Synvisc, Cortisone injections- Didn't Work :-(
Grade 3 Osteoarthritis at 24 yrs old

Offline akam.

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »
I posted about my last major problems with my left knee under the "baker's cyst" section and have just now posted a conclusion to it, but I saw this thread and wanted to add to it.

Having had 7 knee swellings within two months (Nov 07 - Jan 08) I ended up having it shot with cortisone on 10th January. It was indeed like a miracle, and even now, since then my knee has not ballooned at all. I still occasionally suffer with my recurrent knee popping problem, and sometimes get aches under my kneecap (which I suspect is the arthritis), but otherwise, all is good. This was my first ever cortisone injection in my knee and I have to say it seems to have helped it immensely.

Everybody is different and the amount of relief it offers is only relevant to the amount of injury and pain you have to begin with. Those people who had little or no relief from cortisone injectons most probably have a far worse knee condition than I do.

Hayley
right knee dislocation nov'95
popping knees since 2000/01
left knee scope feb'05
left knee LR aug'05
right knee LR apr '06
left knee clean up and fibrous band cutting apr '07
recurring knee swellings nov/dec '07

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »
Going to the OS today.   I had my last cortizone injection in  Aug 08.   Planning on getting a cortizone shot.   If I can get at least 2 months of relief from it it is better than 2 weeks.   and far better than going into another surgery. 

It is a bandaid not a cure all.  My knee is pretty trashed.

Offline SmplySweet1021

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 04:15:39 AM »
I had a cortisone shot in January and I felt good till about end of April...BUT My knee surgeon said this would be the only one he would do. Apparently cortisone is REALLY bad for the body and he will never do more then that 1 shot for me, I can't remember the exact reason but something about the cortisone forms a crystal that stays for many years and then something bad happens when it breaks down. Sorry guys can't remember. He's not the only one that has told me that cortisone in the joints is really bad, both of my PT's have also said this to me too.

Now this must be some new research or something because I had about 10-15 shots in my Right ankle when I was 16 (23 now) in an effort to break down scar tissue that had formed after 4 surgeries. (Got hit by a car) It worked and since then have been relatively pain free. Though now I'm worried about the long term effects of the cortisone but only time will tell.
2005 - Blown PCL & LCL due to Riding Accident, Surgery to repair
2006 - New Surgeon due to Problems
2007 Scope & 2 non dissolving screws still in knee
Supartz, Synvisc, Cortisone injections- Didn't Work :-(
Grade 3 Osteoarthritis at 24 yrs old

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
The research on the effects of cortisone on the joint is inconclusive at best.  In fact some of the newer research shows fewer long-term problems than the older research did. 

With adequate spacing of injections, a lot of the research finds very little cartilage change with steroids.  Other research shows that over time steroids soften articular cartilage. 

Possible risks vs. Benefits.  I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again, as they kept me functional in the year prior to my TKA.  I liked to use Marcaine and Kenalog in my shots.

~dig

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
I'm totaly clueless as to what the cortizone shot does. I had one in September when I had my knee drained. My knee has progressivly gotten worse since September. Just curious why exactly is it done.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »
A cortisone shot reduces inflammation in the joint where it's been injected. I just had one myself in the bursa below my new knee yesterday. Not sure why your knee has gotten worse since then, Lady, unless it didn't work (which has been known to happen). I've had cortisone shots in my feet (ouch) that did nothing. And possibly, if they didn't work for you, the problem has worsened. You might want to give your ortho a call for another appointment.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 01:07:53 AM »
Thanks Caroline. I can't believe you had cortizone shots in your feet. That is horrible. The shot hurt but I already was in some pain before they have me the shot and I believe they did it through the needle they used to drain my knee at the time, so it was already in there.

Anyways...I am debating about going to the docs. I hate going. My husband thinks I'm a wacko. I have this gut feeling I can't hold of surgery anymore and its time to go in again. He's already suggested it but I did the synivis instead twice. And then had to have it drained and corizone.

Oh well I'm going to wait it out a few more weeks and see if its just the winter months bugging me.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 02:05:46 AM »
Hey Lady.  Your doc would not have given a cortisone injection through the same needle that was used to drain your knee.  Typically when fluid is drained from the knee, it is done with your knee extended and from proximal and lateral to the patella.

You *can* do injections from there, but usually a knee joint injection is done with the knee flexed to about 90 degrees and the injection done eithewr medial or lateral into the joint space.

Tell your husband you are NOT a wacko, but a woman with a knee problem and that you need for him to not think of you like that....

~dig

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 02:24:15 AM »
Oh no,lol. He is very supportive. He thinks I'm a wacho becasue I won't go to the docs. Because I don't want to be a baby and always complain to the doc or him or to you guys. lol. I sometimes think I'm a big wimp.

I thought they used the same needle. But I definitly could be wrong. I was not watching. It was very uncomfortable.

Offline Fyre-Faery

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Flame on MySpace
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
I've been offered a cortisone injection. I don't know wether or not to take it. If I don't do much my pain is minimal - but I can't do things like lift an encyclopaedia or stand on one spot for a long time to do the dishes - and I can't do much more than the very basics of my physio exercises, which is damn frustrating.
Does it completely reduce all inflammation - or still leave a residue?

And what help is it taking out the synovial fluid for analasys with the injection? Does it hurt a hell of a lot more? Has anyone here had a good diagnosis from the fluid?

I've been diagnosed with minor maltracking, but after struggling with vast bouts of inflammation for 3 years it doesn't seem like that is the only thing wrong with me.
X
Flame

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
Flame,
It does reduce inflamation. I had cortizone after a sever flare up. It helped for a couple of months. I think eveyrone is different with how much it helps due to there severity.

As far as the pain goes, it was uncomfortable not horrific. They sent my fluid out too but nothing came back.

Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck.